Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading glasses  (Read 1941 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
Re: Reading glasses
« Reply #15 on: 22 August 2010, 16:24:05 »

Can you getthe little windscreen wiper attachments for them....

If you can, can the variable intermitant option be added afterwards? ;D ;D ;D

Can only be activated with a genuine Tech II.
I like red cars

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 22 August 2010, 16:37:48 »

better see Billy Conolly about “one o them prescription windscreens” as well.....

was hoping the matallans where going to be a couple of quid tbh, i'll try the pound shop, thanks. At this rate though, i'll be getting them with the xmas shopping, joy!

I'd almost prefer to need permanant glasses the break about taking off and on again every two seconds. Bi focals? Probably not worth it.

snappy case or string round neck........oh dear oh dear.    ;D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 August 2010, 16:39:03 »

Spend the extra money and get a proper pair of prescription glasses.

You wouldn't drive your car with a bald tyre on one side and brand new on the other side! You only get one pair of eyes per life.
Last time I went to the opticians for an eye test I commented that the £12.00 Sainsburys reading glasses I had (+1 diopter)  weren't wonderful so the optician dropped the same prescription into the test frame and it was like the mist clearing on a summer morning.

I won't pay for designer frames but I will pay for the quality lenses.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 22 August 2010, 16:56:52 »

Woo, can order on line, 28 days delivery though, an improvement on the likely xmas though

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 August 2010, 18:01:51 »

So you decided on a course of action yet, Speccy?
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2010, 18:16:52 »

do glasses affect sence of smell? sniff sniff.... i'm getting, sniff....pine!
« Last Edit: 22 August 2010, 20:32:36 by chrisgixer »

Mysteryman

« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2010, 18:28:59 »

do glasses affect sence if smell? sniff sniff.... i'm getting, sniff....pine!

Are you immune like Del Boy? ::)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2010, 20:12:56 »

Goto specsavers or wherever.....like i did 2 years ago.....dont mess about with £1 specs unless you want to.
They dont cost you £100......think mine were £40 including eyetest.....but i didnt choose the cheapest frames which were £25 i believe.
Mine are only reading glasses......and i only use them at night to read a map book, if i dont know where the pickup street is.....i keep them in the car.....dont need them in daylight or in the house, unless the writing is incredibly small or im trying to focus on something a foot or so away in subdued lighting.

Having said that.....you dont have to buy the specs from the optician.....you can go wherever once you the prescription from the eye test.....but the optician will more than likely have a deal running  :y

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22 August 2010, 20:29:38 »

If you know what correction you need, you can get them online for not a lot.

For example http://www.specs-by-post.com/?kw=specs&fl=8356&gclid=COuZj7XozaMCFUj-2AodhntDuQ

Cheap ones are handy if you do a lot of heavy work, and risk breaking a good pair.

Ken
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...

jereboam

• Omega Knight
  • Suffolk
    • 1999 Omega Elite 3.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 August 2010, 20:31:41 »

If you're over 60 the eye test is free.

If you're on Job Seekers Allowance, the glasses are free.

Provided, of course, that you pick basic frames and single vision lenses.  Mind you, my new glasses are only costing me £4 for basic Varifocals, which I need 'cos that's what I've been using for the past 10 years.

I bought one of those strings for hanging your glasses round your neck, because I keep losing mine - I take them off to read or use the computer, and never put them down in the same place twice running.  As a result, I sometimes have to spend half an hour searching the house to find them.  However, I am definitely only going to do that in the house - don't want to be seen out with the glasses hanging round my neck - makes me look old.

Problem is, I've lost the string... :)
I can be handy mending a fuse - but stuff the Isle of Wight

feeutfo

« Reply #25 on: 22 August 2010, 20:34:23 »

If you're over 60 the eye test is free.

If you're on Job Seekers Allowance, the glasses are free.

Provided, of course, that you pick basic frames and single vision lenses.  Mind you, my new glasses are only costing me £4 for basic Varifocals, which I need 'cos that's what I've been using for the past 10 years.

I bought one of those strings for hanging your glasses round your neck, because I keep losing mine - I take them off to read or use the computer, and never put them down in the same place twice running.  As a result, I sometimes have to spend half an hour searching the house to find them.  However, I am definitely only going to do that in the house - don't want to be seen out with the glasses hanging round my neck - makes me look old.

Problem is, I've lost the string... :)
;D  :y

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 22 August 2010, 20:36:58 »

do glasses affect sence of smell? sniff sniff.... i'm getting, sniff....pine!

Are you immune like Del Boy? ::)
I very much doubt it, but....

6 year old voice on;
He started it!
Voice off.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 August 2010, 23:44:11 »

What a pita.... >:(

Had an eye test and all is well, but recommended a mild correction for reading just to take the strain off, which my current £7.99 jobs from mattalan certainly do, but everything else over a couple of meters away is blurred of course, so oofing with the Telly on means a professor yaffel type pear over glasses on the end of the nose type effort to see the telly, which I absolutely hate  >:(

Mattalan glasses are 1.00 correction, but left eye needs 0.75, right eye needs 1.25, which is an improvement. But do they have to be the exact prescription, which means more expensive glasses and a lot of messing about fitting and trying on? It's taken me a month just to get to the shops for these, never mind a fitting appointment etc

Any tips or experiences?  :)

Buy two pairs of identical glasses from your nearest Pound Shop, one pair at 1.00 & the other at 1.25, carefully transpose the correct lense from one pair to the other & hey presto... a prescription pair for £2!! :D & if you can find someone with the opposite degree of blindness as you, then you could probably sell the other pair for a profit!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)  :y
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 August 2010, 23:50:34 »

What a pita.... >:(

Had an eye test and all is well, but recommended a mild correction for reading just to take the strain off, which my current £7.99 jobs from mattalan certainly do, but everything else over a couple of meters away is blurred of course, so oofing with the Telly on means a professor yaffel type pear over glasses on the end of the nose type effort to see the telly, which I absolutely hate  >:(

Mattalan glasses are 1.00 correction, but left eye needs 0.75, right eye needs 1.25, which is an improvement. But do they have to be the exact prescription, which means more expensive glasses and a lot of messing about fitting and trying on? It's taken me a month just to get to the shops for these, never mind a fitting appointment etc

Any tips or experiences?  :)

Buy two pairs of identical glasses from your nearest Pound Shop, one pair at 1.00 & the other at 1.25, carefully transpose the correct lense from one pair to the other & hey presto... a prescription pair for £2!! :D & if you can find someone with the opposite degree of blindness as you, then you could probably sell the other pair for a profit!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)  :y

There is Tight, there are Monkeys and then there are Omega owners..... :D :D :D

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 22 August 2010, 23:54:55 »

cant see what the problem is..

neither can he
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.