Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm tempted to haggle on this...  (Read 2346 times)

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tempted to haggle on this...
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2007, 20:22:03 »

seems like a bit of a bargain to me?

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2007, 20:28:05 »

As Del Boy would say "Go on my son, you know it makes sense"  :y

I do like the comment that the LPG tank takes up no room - but the loose spare wheel may be a tad annoying  ;D
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 May 2007, 20:29:35 »

seems like a bit of a bargain to me?

Only CDX, short MOT, high miles, I wouldn't pay a lot for it

Sounds like he may have done HG himself and ballsed it up. I do have spare 2.5 heads tho  :-/

Wonder if it's something else leaking coolant though, oil cooler plate, or coolant bridge, etc...

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 May 2007, 21:06:35 »

I reckon the mileage and age will really drastically affect resale value. Not sure there is enough money in that
Grumpy old man

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 May 2007, 21:10:13 »

I reckon the mileage and age will really drastically affect resale value. Not sure there is enough money in that

Well i was thinking take the LPG kit off and fit it to a better car!! thats a cheap way of getting gassed and exactly what i have done a couple of times!!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 May 2007, 21:25:47 »

Well i was thinking take the LPG kit off and fit it to a better car!! thats a cheap way of getting gassed and exactly what i have done a couple of times!!!

Crossed my mind, then make most of the money back by breaking the Estate car....

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 May 2007, 21:26:45 »

Crossed my mind, then make most of the money back by breaking the Estate car....

;D :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 May 2007, 21:27:47 »

Ps, G, I didn't get that email...

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 May 2007, 21:31:37 »

Ps, G, I didn't get that email...

hasnt bounced back but have re sent it !!

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 May 2007, 21:54:59 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-2-5-V6-CDX-AUTO-GREY-ESTATE-GAS-LPG_W0QQitemZ150124522633QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9858QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
When i see an OMEGA with LPG i think somebody very tight must have owned it. So tight he probably never spend any money on it.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 23 May 2007, 22:01:20 »

I would have thought would be worth £500+ just for the lpg kit......if its working ok  :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #12 on: 23 May 2007, 22:15:12 »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-2-5-V6-CDX-AUTO-GREY-ESTATE-GAS-LPG_W0QQitemZ150124522633QQihZ005QQcategoryZ9858QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
When i see an OMEGA with LPG i think somebody very tight must have owned it. So tight he probably never spend any money on it.

Depends what you using it for.....

Makes sense for me......40-50k miles a year....38p/L versus 95p/L

Mate of mine is having his BMW 520 converted to gas......hes worked it out....would save him approx £4k a year on fuel costs.....hes a TD as well

My omega gets serviced every 10k (ok not often enough as others would point out!)

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 23 May 2007, 22:33:11 »

It pays for itself in two years, anyway you have to spend to save and because you will own the car longer you take better care of it

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2007, 22:36:58 »

I lot of lpg equipped cars I've seen do appear to be a little neglected, so maybe some truth in that.
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2007, 23:05:55 »

I would expect it to sell for £800+

People pay silly money for lpg estates...
The Administrator.

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2007, 00:17:27 »

Depends what you using it for.....

Makes sense for me......40-50k miles a year....38p/L versus 95p/L

Mate of mine is having his BMW 520 converted to gas......hes worked it out....would save him approx £4k a year on fuel costs.....hes a TD as well

My omega gets serviced every 10k (ok not often enough as others would point out!)

THere are people that genuinely need the economy when they do 20k a year but also there is the dark side of the type of people that money saving and false economy is their favourite hobby so they buy an Omega(value for money), stick an lpg(usually a bad cheap and nasty system), and then run the car until it stops due to lack of maintenance. So there is the LPG car-tool-workhorse that is being used a lot but treated well and on the other side there is the heap of junk of MrTight pockets. I don't want any of them to be honest. Of course thats my personal opinion ;)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2007, 00:22:17 »

I would expect it to sell for £800+

People pay silly money for lpg estates...

They do, don't they Dave :(

::) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 24 May 2007, 00:22:42 by JamesV6CDX »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2007, 08:31:29 »

Sounds like that one has had some care lavished on it....with new wishbones and exhaust etc....

The project one we have has a frightening amount of receipts with it...

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2007, 10:39:23 »

THere are people that genuinely need the economy when they do 20k a year but also there is the dark side of the type of people that money saving and false economy is their favourite hobby so they buy an Omega(value for money), stick an lpg(usually a bad cheap and nasty system), and then run the car until it stops due to lack of maintenance. So there is the LPG car-tool-workhorse that is being used a lot but treated well and on the other side there is the heap of junk of MrTight pockets. I don't want any of them to be honest. Of course thats my personal opinion ;)

It's just like any other car, when you go to inspect it look at the overall condition, how clean it is, check all the receipts and old MOTs etc. Oh and check the installation quality of the dual-fuel system, on a V6 it should be SGi which costs in the region of £2k to have installed professionally. With that in mind, I don't think many people are going to spend that kind of money and then stop maintaining the car so it breaks down before they've even recouped the cost of the installation let alone saved any money!

A properly installed and maintained dual-fuel system actually reduces wear on the engine, as when it's running on propane you don't get anywhere near the issues with bore wash and oil dilution that you get with petrol. My engine is on 170k and I recently changed the cam covers, the cams looked good as new and my breathers have never been blocked any time I cleaned them out. Other than a failed crank sensor (which happens to all V6s eventually it seems) and a stripped spark plug thread I've never had any real problems with mine.

There are dogs out there that are dual-fuel, and there are dogs that are completely standard. Personally I wouldn't consider the dual-fuel aspect to be a good indicator of the level of maintenance. People are prepared to pay a fair bit more for a dual-fuel Omega that's been looked after, so I'd suspect the cheapskates are actually more inclined to go for the bargain bucket petrol-only models and run them into the ground, which is why you see so many abused and battered early models barely scraping a few hundred quid at resale.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2007, 10:48:50 »

Excellent reply!  :y
The Administrator.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.