Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Towbar question  (Read 949 times)

mantahatch

Towbar question
« on: 23 December 2009, 10:32:02 »

Is the towbar for the saloon the same for pre and facelift cars, and does the bumper require cutting on the facelift.

Thank you.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Towbar question
« Reply #1 on: 23 December 2009, 10:33:27 »

Yes, and yes as far as i know. And no...

Not sure on the ones that hide though, some environmently unfriendly burger van owners should be able to help you  :-X

mantahatch

« Reply #2 on: 23 December 2009, 10:36:40 »

Not sure on the ones that hide though, some environmently unfriendly burger van owners should be able to help you  :-X

Thank you, I should add the only thing I tow is a 5x4 open trailer, and on occasions a car trailer.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 December 2009, 10:37:46 »

Thank you, I should add the only thing I tow is a 5x4 open trailer, and on occasions a car trailer.

;D ;D ;D - Its just friendly jokes, i get enough stick from having a 4 pot, so i take the pi$$ when i can  ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 December 2009, 14:18:07 »

Regarding cutting the bumper, it depends on the towbar design, some do, some don't.

The facelift bumper also extends further back so some prefacelift towbar designs leave the ball a little close to the bumper when fitted to a facelift and vice versa.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

mantahatch

« Reply #5 on: 23 December 2009, 16:01:54 »

Regarding cutting the bumper, it depends on the towbar design, some do, some don't.

The facelift bumper also extends further back so some prefacelift towbar designs leave the ball a little close to the bumper when fitted to a facelift and vice versa.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, looks like it will be time to get the ruler out.
« Last Edit: 23 December 2009, 16:02:36 by mantahatch »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 December 2009, 16:08:45 »

We had to cut the bumper on mine .. facelift with irmscher body kit ... but done carefully it is fine.... just a "slot" the exact width of the bumper bar from the bottom edge of the bumper up to the top surface of the towbar. As the towbar at that point is square section it "looks" right and unless you look you would never know.

It was done with great care, using the "measure 4 times cut once whilst praying hard" technique.

I looked hard at a removeable hitch, but would still have had to cut the bumper, and then the cut would have been more visible whent he hitch was off .. if you get my drift !!  :)

mantahatch

« Reply #7 on: 23 December 2009, 16:25:06 »

We had to cut the bumper on mine .. facelift with irmscher body kit ... but done carefully it is fine.... just a "slot" the exact width of the bumper bar from the bottom edge of the bumper up to the top surface of the towbar. As the towbar at that point is square section it "looks" right and unless you look you would never know.

It was done with great care, using the "measure 4 times cut once whilst praying hard" technique.
I looked hard at a removeable hitch, but would still have had to cut the bumper, and then the cut would have been more visible whent he hitch was off .. if you get my drift !!  :)

Thank you Entwood, excelant advise regarding cutting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.