Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloody breather pipe, bloody vauxhall!!!  (Read 4026 times)

stevebubs

• Reading
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody breather pipe, bloody vauxhall!!!
« Reply #30 on: 03 January 2007, 20:03:50 »

To get the clamps off, put some oil on the clip and give it 20 mins or so to penetrate.

The put a flat edge (e.g. *Big* screwdriver) on one of the bands in the middle of the clip and you should be able to slowly tap the clip round until the prongs to remove it are in a suitable position.

Just take car not to punch a hole in the pipe...hence the larger and fatter the screwdriver blade the better...

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 January 2007, 20:11:13 »

cheers for the replys all.

Got one clip around, not managed to get the other one yet.

Created a bigger problem with the snapped stud.

Thanks for the help all  :y

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 January 2007, 23:38:52 »

I thought you had go go gadget arms - just no pliers eh?  I used water pump pliers too, once its loose its easy  ;D

If it's any consolation I've just fitted new bright bulbs to my wife's Meriva. What a pig of a job. Had to remove breather hose, air box and bottom + lower pipe just to get at the damn thing all in the rain - took me nearly an hour!.  I love my huge empty 2.2 engine bay again.

[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 January 2007, 23:43:41 »

right, well given up on the breathers. that top clip aint comming off unless i cut it off, so going to have to get a replacement pipe.

I took that metal pipe off that comes from the bottom of the engine... couple of 13mm nuts however there appeared to be no gasket between the pipe and the engine block  :o

The thin plate between them as pictured in AA's guide wasn't on mine, and i am sure it didn't fall down when i removed it... i checked the floor!

It's probably stuck on the bottom of the pipe.  I reused myold one and it started leaking so doubtful that there isn't one at all.  67p from Vx and usually in stock.
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 January 2007, 23:53:27 »

I love my huge empty 2.2 engine bay again.

With comments like that you've left yourself completely open for someone to say it's because your car has 2 cylinders missing!!  ;)  :y

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 January 2007, 00:02:49 »

I love my huge empty 2.2 engine bay again.

With comments like that you've left yourself completely open for someone to say it's because your car has 2 cylinders missing!!  ;)  :y

It was tongue in cheek.  Having those 2 cylinders missing makes working on the engine sooo much easier. :D

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 January 2007, 09:46:41 »

With regards to the breather clips. I managed to get mine off using water pump pliers, lying across the engine so I could get at it from the back and underneath. Replaced with jubilee clips on refit.

While I was struggling to get them off, a friend suggested wrapping a loop of wire around the flat sections of the clip and twisting it with a screwdriver to pull the two together. I reckon it would have worked. Managed to get mine off before resorting to this.

I know there a special tool for this type of clip, but it must be equally difficult to use in the confines of that space when they are facing backwards. Along with the Torx fastenings fitted everywhere, I'm surprised that Vauxhall don't put a big sticker on the bonnet saying "No user servicable parts inside!" [smiley=grin.gif]
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 05 January 2007, 00:10:55 »

...What manufacturers cannot just use jubilee clips I do not know!...

a. These clips are quicker to get on and off when using the proper tools, hence reduced manufacturing cost.

b. They also ensure the exact and correct pressure is applied and prevent a hung-over Monday morning assembly line worker from over-tightening them which may lead to premature failure.

So there.....

But you can chuck 'em all out and use good old Jubilee type instead if you really feel like it...  ;D

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 05 January 2007, 09:06:40 »

...What manufacturers cannot just use jubilee clips I do not know!...

a. These clips are quicker to get on and off when using the proper tools, hence reduced manufacturing cost.

b. They also ensure the exact and correct pressure is applied and prevent a hung-over Monday morning assembly line worker from over-tightening them which may lead to premature failure.

So there.....

But you can chuck 'em all out and use good old Jubilee type instead if you really feel like it...  ;D

Additionally, if the clip is present, it is done up.  Its easy enough to miss tightening a jubilee clip...
Grumpy old man

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 05 January 2007, 10:40:00 »

Can't disagree with you. If they are there, then they're on.

The proper tools for these hose clamps are about £15 - 20 though and unless you work on engines an awful lot they are an expensive luxury. Most people can lay their hands on a 7mm socket or a flat bladed screwdirver to undo a jubilee.

I usually check all connections twice before I finish a job anyway (paranoia based on previous foul ups) and have had spring clamps fail after a while when they have been undone too many times. Jubilees usually just seize on.

I know that the production engineers at automotive plants prefer these easy fit fasteners and fixings for a number of reasons, but the average home mechanic, doesn't always have the tools to undo these.
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.