Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel engine?  (Read 3090 times)

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
Diesel engine?
« on: 11 January 2007, 15:43:26 »

I'm considering buying an Omega (preferably an estate), but was wondering what the opinions were on the diesel engined variants? Are there any particular faults to look for on these engines?

Also, since I'm new to the Omega, are there any general areas to watch out for when inspecting a potential purchase? Bodywork, electrics, suspension, brakes etc etc?

I have up to £4000 to spend. I have a mentally and physically handicapped daughter who is wheelchair bound, so reliability is my prime concern. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated..

Regards
Eddy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Diesel engine?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2007, 15:51:21 »

I'm considering buying an Omega (preferably an estate), but was wondering what the opinions were on the diesel engined variants? Are there any particular faults to look for on these engines?

Also, since I'm new to the Omega, are there any general areas to watch out for when inspecting a potential purchase? Bodywork, electrics, suspension, brakes etc etc?

I have up to £4000 to spend. I have a mentally and physically handicapped daughter who is wheelchair bound, so reliability is my prime concern. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated..

Regards
Eddy
Welcome.

I know little about the diesels,someone will be along to comment on the engine.  I know the BMW sourced 6 cylinder is probably the best of the variants fitted, but can be expensive to fix when it breaks.

However, the car itself is fairly reliable. The autobox on the 2.5TD was weak on earlier models. The 2.5TD also has 4.5k service intevals.  Obviously, like any car, shocks will need changing with mileage, and front wishbone bushes and droplinks will show wear with mileage.

Facelift ones have better rust prevention and better interior. You price range should easily but you a facelift model.

The diesels only really show their economy on longer runs, and tend to be not hugely better than petrol around town.  A petrol model with lpg option should not be discounted.
Grumpy old man

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2007, 16:13:25 »

Are the service intervals really only 4500 miles?

If that's the case the 2.5 diesel is out of the question as it would need servicing three times a year with my average 12-15K mileage!

Can anyone comment on the 2.2 diesel please? Or fuel consumtion figures and service intervals for the various petrol engines?

Thanks
Eddy

JesterRT

• Intermediate Member
  • Stafford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2007, 16:28:46 »

Although I've not owned my 2.5TD Omega (BMW Engine) for too long (few months) I've known the car for a couple of years or so (as I bought it from a friend).

The car has been regularly serviced and oil changes have been adhered to (as far as I'm aware the oil changes are important but they're quick and easy to carry out - other 'servicing' can be carried out less frequently).  The only trouble I've really had is when the A/C compressor broke, smashing up the radiator and fan.  The car I've got is a '98 and to be honest I felt it was just bad luck that it broke.
I've also currently got an air-bag light warning, but that was my own fault for cleaning too vigorously under the seats and disturbing the wiring.

The car has (and yes, I'm touching wood here) never missed a beat.  Started first time, every time.  Always.

Economy is fair, but not record breaking by any means.  Motorway's are where I do my miles and I'll sit at 40mpg, or a smidge more if I'm careful.  Around town it will drop to 30mpg.

Engine power is, again, nothing to write home about but will happily pull you along at motorway speeds without any real effort.  I've got an auto-box and wouldn't have a manual (although like I say - I sit on motorways, either crawling in queues or just trundling along at 70, or so).

It's a big, comfortable car though - and I wouldn't swap it for anything else around the same cost / size.
« Last Edit: 11 January 2007, 16:29:36 by JesterRT »

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2007, 18:46:15 »

Are the service intervals really only 4500 miles?

If that's the case the 2.5 diesel is out of the question as it would need servicing three times a year with my average 12-15K mileage!

Can anyone comment on the 2.2 diesel please? Or fuel consumtion figures and service intervals for the various petrol engines?

Thanks
Eddy

With your budget you should be able to get a nice 2.2 diesel , but problem with that is it will be a manual only.....depends if you want an auto or not bothered.

AS TB says dont discount a LPG Omega.....v6 2.6 probably the best option....even tho i have a 2.2 lpg one!....Tho with a 4k budget you are going to struggle a bit....to get a 2.6 and then have it converted....lpg conversion for a v6 circa £2k area if garage done.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2007, 18:54:16 »

Should have added.... the 4.5k for 2.5TD service interval ..... probably only means oil/filter change....will stand corrected if other things need doing. I know quite a few if not more on this forum do a oil/filter change at that interval on their petrol omegas......i admit im one of the 'naughty' ones and let it drift to 10k before doing an oil/filter change  :-[

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2007, 18:59:41 »

4.5K SERVICE is lubricant and filter only, but i do mine evrey 3k a ten min job at teh most, and they dont use any between changes, having done 13000 miles in mine in 7 months am well impressed!
Omegatoy

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2007, 19:04:23 »

Thanks for the replies guys.... They are a a great help.

After reading up a bit more on the Omega, and having taken the comments made so far into consideration, I'm now wondering just what I'm likely to get for my money?

Remember, a budget of £4000, I could probably stretch to another 200-300 but that would be it.....  The car MUST be an estate to haul all my daughters stuff around - Lifting a heavy wheelchair over a large boot sill isn't practical.

So what models would I be looking at?  Age? Engine (petrol or diesel)? I'd prefer manual gearbox. Trim level?

I still have the best part of a year before I need to change cars, so I'm not in any desperate rush - And I'd like to get everything fixed in my mind before making a purchase.

Again, your help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Eddy

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2007, 19:18:31 »

After reading up a bit more on the Omega, and having taken the comments made so far into consideration, I'm now wondering just what I'm likely to get for my money?

Remember, a budget of £4000, I could probably stretch to another 200-300 but that would be it.....  The car MUST be an estate to haul all my daughters stuff around - Lifting a heavy wheelchair over a large boot sill isn't practical.

So what models would I be looking at?  Age? Engine (petrol or diesel)? I'd prefer manual gearbox. Trim level?

I still have the best part of a year before I need to change cars, so I'm not in any desperate rush - And I'd like to get everything fixed in my mind before making a purchase.

Regards
Eddy
£4k should buy you a lot of car.  Later diesels are rarer, and estates are rarer to, esp top spec ones.  If you go petrol, and buy with the lpg kit on, I would have thought you can get something decent, though you may have to look for a while for one to come up...
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2007, 23:26:37 »

If LPG on an estate where's the gas tank go? I'd have thought that unless you can use a toroidal tank in place of the spare LPG is a no no. 'We' still need room for a wheel chair.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2007, 07:48:41 »

With a 4k budget i'd spend 2.5k on an Omega.

Should get a nice V6 for that, use the rest of the money to LPG it. Best of both worlds, V6 roar with diesel economy  :)

Martin_1962

« Reply #11 on: 12 January 2007, 10:13:57 »

If LPG on an estate where's the gas tank go? I'd have thought that unless you can use a toroidal tank in place of the spare LPG is a no no. 'We' still need room for a wheel chair.

Search the LPG threads and you should find pictures of TDs estate with tank.

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 January 2007, 12:35:51 »

Regards
Eddy

Eddy,

Boiler Man was the last member I know of who was looking at 2.2TD estates and it took him a good few months to get close to what he was looking for but still didn't manage to find the Elite so having a year to play with is probably a good point.

Boot space will never be a problem and the only minor glitch with the load area is that the rear bumper sticks out a fair bit and is prone to marking easilly as it is plastic but a bit of care when lugging stuff in and out is all that is needed.

I've had no problems apart from the usual Omega related problem with wishbone wear and there are a few rust spots appearing which I hope Vauxhall will be repairing on a four year old car.

Economy wise its 33 ish for the commute, mix of roads and city driving, and 45 ish plus on a run. Booting it sees the consumption figures drop but that has to be expected.

Good luck with the hunting.

Steve

stevief

• Aberdeen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 January 2007, 12:36:33 »

Eddy,

one point of note on the engine is that every 2.2 deisel seems to get a weep of oil at the front of the engine between the head and the block. It is not noticable on oil levels and only leaves a dirty area across the front of the engine. No one seems to have had one that has gotten any worse but at least knowing it is there will save you from worrying if you do look at one.

Steve

« Last Edit: 12 January 2007, 12:39:48 by stevief »

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 January 2007, 12:56:43 »

Thanks Steve...

Since I currently have a motobility lease hire car, it still has a year to go on the lease..... As Omegas aren't exactly two a penny, I thought now was a good time to start looking so I can hopefully find the best value for my money  ;)

The thought of huge petrol bills made me initially consider the diesel options, but maybe lpg would make a V6 a viable option?

My only question as far as lpg goes is finding garages that sell it....  Does anyone know if there's a listing on the web for lpg garages? I'm up in the north east of England (near Middlesbrough).... having always owned petrol engined vehicles I can't honestly say that I've really looked for lpg when I've filled up!

Regards
Eddy

Martin_1962

« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2007, 13:33:31 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2007, 18:50:23 »

generally, most bp seem to have lpg, though certainly not cheapest (currently just under 50p/l here)
Grumpy old man

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2007, 19:00:57 »

Thanks yet again for the replies - it seems there are more lpg garages than I thought! :)

So, just to show my lack of experience with lpg (for lack of experience, read NONE!), what is involved in refuelling an lpg vehicle?

Regards
Eddy

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2007, 07:12:50 »

Thanks yet again for the replies - it seems there are more lpg garages than I thought! :)

So, just to show my lack of experience with lpg (for lack of experience, read NONE!), what is involved in refuelling an lpg vehicle?

Regards
Eddy

Not much different to filling with petrol/diesel......different nozzle...locks onto the filler and takes about the same time to fill.

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 January 2007, 09:48:39 »

Back to Diesels rather than LPG....
I change the oil & filter in my '96 TD every 10K miles using fully synthetic oil
It's a bit more expensive, but the convenience of not having to do it quite as frequently is the advantage
No signs of any adverse effects
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2007, 10:02:56 »

Back to Diesels rather than LPG....
I change the oil & filter in my '96 TD every 10K miles using fully synthetic oil
It's a bit more expensive, but the convenience of not having to do it quite as frequently is the advantage
No signs of any adverse effects
I would strong consider doing it as per book (actually more often than the book states).  No way would I recommend doubling the stated interval.
Grumpy old man

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2007, 10:06:51 »

I am using fully synthetic oil which is superior to the semi-synthetic type usually used these days

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2007, 10:18:58 »

I am using fully synthetic oil which is superior to the semi-synthetic type usually used these days
Reason for using fully synth is to extend petrol services from 10k to 20k (most oils start to break down long before 10k).  In diesels, the oil also acts as a 'cleaner' hence the shorter intervals on most diesels.  On a diesel, the oil is usually replaced before it starts to break down, so full synth doesn't extend the service interval.
Grumpy old man

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2007, 10:31:01 »

Interesting!
Are you suggesting that even fully synthetic oil begins to breakdown before 10K miles or does this last longer, hence the extended period between changes on Petrol engines?
Is there an oil specifically designed for Diesels that allows longer periods between changes given it's cleaning as well as lubricating function, or possibly an additive that has the same effect when used with ordinary oils?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2007, 10:52:59 »

Interesting!
Are you suggesting that even fully synthetic oil begins to breakdown before 10K miles or does this last longer, hence the extended period between changes on Petrol engines?
Is there an oil specifically designed for Diesels that allows longer periods between changes given it's cleaning as well as lubricating function, or possibly an additive that has the same effect when used with ordinary oils?
Actually, about 5 yrs ago, there was no oil that would last to 10k - but manufacturers specify 10/12k oil changes, taking into account the extra wear on engine will not be too much of a problem over the 'life' of engine (ie first 60/80k).

Oils have improved slightly, but still do not last to the service interval, esp those ridiculous 20k services.  Its all about the manufacturers needing to specify longer service intervals (for fleets), and taking the risk of excessive wear over how long fleet will keep (60k normally).

As the diesels use oil as a cleaner, there is nothing that can be added afaik to extend life.

My car is specified as 10k changes. I do it as soon as oil starts to go dark, around the 3 - 4k mark.  Once it starts to go dark, it is either dirty, or breaking down.  Either way, time for changing in my book.
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2007, 13:11:37 »

You can compare performance figures here:
(this does not cover LPG though):

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168647353/

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2007, 13:12:38 »

Interesting!
Actually, about 5 yrs ago, there was no oil that would last to 10k - but manufacturers specify 10/12k oil changes, taking into account the extra wear on engine will not be too much of a problem over the 'life' of engine (ie first 60/80k).

Oils have improved slightly, but still do not last to the service interval, esp those ridiculous 20k services.  Its all about the manufacturers needing to specify longer service intervals (for fleets), and taking the risk of excessive wear over how long fleet will keep (60k normally).

As the diesels use oil as a cleaner, there is nothing that can be added afaik to extend life.

My car is specified as 10k changes. I do it as soon as oil starts to go dark, around the 3 - 4k mark.  Once it starts to go dark, it is either dirty, or breaking down.  Either way, time for changing in my book.

Oil-threading, TB?  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2007, 15:48:48 »

Search the LPG threads and you should find pictures of TDs estate with tank.

Have a look at this thread.....it shows a donut tank fitted in my Omega where the spare wheel should go

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152960987
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.