Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Diesel engine?  (Read 3089 times)

Martin_1962

Re: Diesel engine?
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2007, 13:33:31 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2007, 18:50:23 »

generally, most bp seem to have lpg, though certainly not cheapest (currently just under 50p/l here)
Grumpy old man

Eddy Matthews

• Thornaby, Cleveland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2007, 19:00:57 »

Thanks yet again for the replies - it seems there are more lpg garages than I thought! :)

So, just to show my lack of experience with lpg (for lack of experience, read NONE!), what is involved in refuelling an lpg vehicle?

Regards
Eddy

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #18 on: 13 January 2007, 07:12:50 »

Thanks yet again for the replies - it seems there are more lpg garages than I thought! :)

So, just to show my lack of experience with lpg (for lack of experience, read NONE!), what is involved in refuelling an lpg vehicle?

Regards
Eddy

Not much different to filling with petrol/diesel......different nozzle...locks onto the filler and takes about the same time to fill.

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 January 2007, 09:48:39 »

Back to Diesels rather than LPG....
I change the oil & filter in my '96 TD every 10K miles using fully synthetic oil
It's a bit more expensive, but the convenience of not having to do it quite as frequently is the advantage
No signs of any adverse effects
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 January 2007, 10:02:56 »

Back to Diesels rather than LPG....
I change the oil & filter in my '96 TD every 10K miles using fully synthetic oil
It's a bit more expensive, but the convenience of not having to do it quite as frequently is the advantage
No signs of any adverse effects
I would strong consider doing it as per book (actually more often than the book states).  No way would I recommend doubling the stated interval.
Grumpy old man

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 January 2007, 10:06:51 »

I am using fully synthetic oil which is superior to the semi-synthetic type usually used these days

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 January 2007, 10:18:58 »

I am using fully synthetic oil which is superior to the semi-synthetic type usually used these days
Reason for using fully synth is to extend petrol services from 10k to 20k (most oils start to break down long before 10k).  In diesels, the oil also acts as a 'cleaner' hence the shorter intervals on most diesels.  On a diesel, the oil is usually replaced before it starts to break down, so full synth doesn't extend the service interval.
Grumpy old man

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 January 2007, 10:31:01 »

Interesting!
Are you suggesting that even fully synthetic oil begins to breakdown before 10K miles or does this last longer, hence the extended period between changes on Petrol engines?
Is there an oil specifically designed for Diesels that allows longer periods between changes given it's cleaning as well as lubricating function, or possibly an additive that has the same effect when used with ordinary oils?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 January 2007, 10:52:59 »

Interesting!
Are you suggesting that even fully synthetic oil begins to breakdown before 10K miles or does this last longer, hence the extended period between changes on Petrol engines?
Is there an oil specifically designed for Diesels that allows longer periods between changes given it's cleaning as well as lubricating function, or possibly an additive that has the same effect when used with ordinary oils?
Actually, about 5 yrs ago, there was no oil that would last to 10k - but manufacturers specify 10/12k oil changes, taking into account the extra wear on engine will not be too much of a problem over the 'life' of engine (ie first 60/80k).

Oils have improved slightly, but still do not last to the service interval, esp those ridiculous 20k services.  Its all about the manufacturers needing to specify longer service intervals (for fleets), and taking the risk of excessive wear over how long fleet will keep (60k normally).

As the diesels use oil as a cleaner, there is nothing that can be added afaik to extend life.

My car is specified as 10k changes. I do it as soon as oil starts to go dark, around the 3 - 4k mark.  Once it starts to go dark, it is either dirty, or breaking down.  Either way, time for changing in my book.
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 January 2007, 13:11:37 »

You can compare performance figures here:
(this does not cover LPG though):

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1168647353/

Alas, no more Omegas....

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 January 2007, 13:12:38 »

Interesting!
Actually, about 5 yrs ago, there was no oil that would last to 10k - but manufacturers specify 10/12k oil changes, taking into account the extra wear on engine will not be too much of a problem over the 'life' of engine (ie first 60/80k).

Oils have improved slightly, but still do not last to the service interval, esp those ridiculous 20k services.  Its all about the manufacturers needing to specify longer service intervals (for fleets), and taking the risk of excessive wear over how long fleet will keep (60k normally).

As the diesels use oil as a cleaner, there is nothing that can be added afaik to extend life.

My car is specified as 10k changes. I do it as soon as oil starts to go dark, around the 3 - 4k mark.  Once it starts to go dark, it is either dirty, or breaking down.  Either way, time for changing in my book.

Oil-threading, TB?  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2007, 15:48:48 »

If LPG on an estate where's the gas tank go? I'd have thought that unless you can use a toroidal tank in place of the spare LPG is a no no. 'We' still need room for a wheel chair.

Search the LPG threads and you should find pictures of TDs estate with tank.

Have a look at this thread.....it shows a donut tank fitted in my Omega where the spare wheel should go

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152960987
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.