Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revs Drop at Idle when steering wheel turned  (Read 1079 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Revs Drop at Idle when steering wheel turned
« on: 23 February 2007, 13:07:52 »

:o

Any ideas

MV6 revs at around 500 rock steady.

At idle and car stationary ive noticed a low groaning noise ( obviously coming from some sort of engine based pump)

At the same time the revs drop momentarily by about 200 revs - jump up then settle again at 500rpm.

Seems to happen when stationary and when steering wheel is turned about 45degrees either way.

Anyone got any thoughts  - not aware of it happening before this morning and due to running for a train i havent had chance to investigate yet.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2007, 13:08:41 by Markiec »
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Revs Drop at Idle when steering wheel turned
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2007, 13:38:19 »

Any ideas

At idle and car stationary ive noticed a low groaning noise ( obviously coming from some sort of engine based pump)

At the same time the revs drop momentarily by about 200 revs - jump up then settle again at 500rpm.

Seems to happen when stationary and when steering wheel is turned about 45degrees either way.

Anyone got any thoughts  - not aware of it happening before this morning and due to running for a train i havent had chance to investigate yet.
I think you know....

gotta be the ps pump causing high resistance to the aux belt....
Grumpy old man

markrl

• Intermediate Member
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2007, 13:40:33 »

The noise is probably the belt on your power steering pump which is having to work very hard if you’re “Dry Steering” (moving the steering while the car is stationary).
The engine revs are dipping as the load suddenly increases on the idling engine. The ECU then compensates for the sudden change in load to maintain the correct idle speed. Dry Steering should be avoided if at all possible and is considered bad driving due to the heavy load it places on the cars steering system and tyres. Obviously if your in a very tight parking fix its sometimes unavoidable.  

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2007, 14:00:39 »

Any ideas

I think you know....

not really my area this....should i be worried....?
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2007, 14:13:22 »

Any ideas

I think you know....

not really my area this....should i be worried....?
Not really, unless realy bad.

Its just the strain on the PS pump.  If it doesn't do it when moving slightly, its fine :)
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2007, 14:51:16 »

:y  maybe just not noticed it before

old cruiser

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2007, 18:09:55 »

sounds Normal to me :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2007, 19:19:37 »

Not sure if the Omega has this but some cars have a pressure switch in the PAS high pressure line from the pump. This sends a signal to the ECU when the power steering pressure rises (when it's under heavy load) and the ECU responds by raising the idle RPM slightly.

If you're getting a worse than normal rev drop it might be worth checking the switch is closing when the steering is turned.

If the groaning is above normal volume it might indicate a PAS pump on its way out. Maybe it's loading the engine more than normal. There's a valve in the pump that should limit the system pressure too. Maybe that's sticking?

Either way, if it's driving OK, not leaking fluid and not sounding like it's literally about to die I'd just keep an eye on it for now.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.