Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: xenon headlights..  (Read 2464 times)

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: xenon headlights..
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2007, 10:41:38 »

he,s been back in touch with me there of a facelift omega no good for me...can you convert normal  headlights( clear ) or are they a total diffrent headlight..
All I would worry about is projectors.  HID's are a lot of trouble for not that much gain over projectors.

HIDs are a *huge* difference over projectors IMO, debatable whether it's worth the cost of retro-fitting them but there's no comparison in terms of the quality of light. When you've been used to HIDs for a few years you realise just how yellow halogens are (yes that includes the +50% ones, which are mandatory IMO as cheaper ones are woeful). The only time I'd say halogens compare with HIDs is when the roads are really wet, the whiter light of HID doesn't perform so well in these conditions so halogen is almost as good, but in all other conditions there's no contest. There's a good reason why almost all police spec Omegas had HID lights even though the rest of the car was poverty spec :)
I would spec HID's on a new car, but can't be bothered to retrofit them.  I have HID's and I still have to turn on the fogs to see anything.  HID's on other cars I have had are slightly better.  Of course, one of mine is pointed at the ground, but that goes back to the extra PITA that HID's are.  When you really need them is when it is wet and they aren't any help, i.e. winter in the UK with short wet days.  Plus I still get flashed occasionally by other people even though my os light is pointed way down.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2007, 20:53:48 »

he,s been back in touch with me there of a facelift omega no good for me...can you convert normal  headlights( clear ) or are they a total diffrent headlight..
All I would worry about is projectors.  HID's are a lot of trouble for not that much gain over projectors.

HIDs are a *huge* difference over projectors IMO, debatable whether it's worth the cost of retro-fitting them but there's no comparison in terms of the quality of light. When you've been used to HIDs for a few years you realise just how yellow halogens are (yes that includes the +50% ones, which are mandatory IMO as cheaper ones are woeful). The only time I'd say halogens compare with HIDs is when the roads are really wet, the whiter light of HID doesn't perform so well in these conditions so halogen is almost as good, but in all other conditions there's no contest. There's a good reason why almost all police spec Omegas had HID lights even though the rest of the car was poverty spec :)
I would spec HID's on a new car, but can't be bothered to retrofit them.  I have HID's and I still have to turn on the fogs to see anything.  HID's on other cars I have had are slightly better.  Of course, one of mine is pointed at the ground, but that goes back to the extra PITA that HID's are.  When you really need them is when it is wet and they aren't any help, i.e. winter in the UK with short wet days.  Plus I still get flashed occasionally by other people even though my os light is pointed way down.

You're probably getting flashed because you've got the retard lights (i.e. fog lights) on. Most people stop thinking they're cool and start thinking they're annoying as break when they reach about 18 years old. Maybe the lights of a Corsa or Saxo will be more to your liking? If need be you can add some under-body neons too. Sorry but it's a MAJOR pet hate of mine. >:(

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2007, 21:52:46 »

Yep, completely agree with Paul.

HID's are a massive improvement over normal halogen lights. Even more so on the facelft models!

Pain in the ar*se to retro fit though!
The Administrator.

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2007, 08:21:29 »

I fully agree, when used to HID's, halogens are rather yellow, I think its most noticable when on a dark country lane when you flick on the high beam, it kinda takes you by surprise, candle light!  Been thinking of popping some bright white bulbs in, ain't got around to it yet...  anybody know which bulbs go in, H7's???? Any recomendations of a brand..

Dave C
Do it right, do it once................

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2007, 08:44:54 »

You're probably getting flashed because you've got the retard lights (i.e. fog lights) on. Most people stop thinking they're cool and start thinking they're annoying as break when they reach about 18 years old. Maybe the lights of a Corsa or Saxo will be more to your liking? If need be you can add some under-body neons too. Sorry but it's a MAJOR pet hate of mine. >:(
What are you, 24?  Sounds like unresolved teenage angst to me.  ::)

I get flashed when they are off, admittedly not that often.  I only use them when out in the countryside on B roads, but I still feel like a BMW driver.  It is only on the Omega that I have had to use them.  Other cars with HID's I don't.  I am trying to fix the drooping light today, so we'll see.  I'm also probably used to whiter projectors than you guys are, so don't notice the difference between them and HID's as much.  OTOH, maybe the roads are just darker here somehow.

The only lights I ever put on a car were 2 big round rally lights.  Then you could see!  8-)

LB, it would seem that they are a PITA to keep working as well.  >:(
« Last Edit: 24 February 2007, 09:20:31 by theolodian »

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2007, 11:59:36 »

What are you, 24?  Sounds like unresolved teenage angst to me.  ::)

I get flashed when they are off, admittedly not that often.  I only use them when out in the countryside on B roads, but I still feel like a BMW driver.  It is only on the Omega that I have had to use them.  Other cars with HID's I don't.  I am trying to fix the drooping light today, so we'll see.  I'm also probably used to whiter projectors than you guys are, so don't notice the difference between them and HID's as much.  OTOH, maybe the roads are just darker here somehow.

The only lights I ever put on a car were 2 big round rally lights.  Then you could see!  8-)

LB, it would seem that they are a PITA to keep working as well.  >:(

I'm actually not far over 24 but I don't see the relevance there, it simply peeves me right off every time I have to squint cos of the glare from some chavvy boy's retard lights coming towards me in perfect night-time visibility conditions. All because said chav thinks driving with fog lights is "totally wikkid innit"... yeah I'm sure the girls will be really impressed ::)

I've only tried the fog lights on the Omega once on a deserted B road out of curiosity, and they are absolutely woeful (as they are on most cars being that they're little more than fashion accessories). Even if it's foggy I wouldn't bother with them, just leave the headlights on and drive slower. So if they're actually improving your vision with HIDs then there's something majorly wrong with your lights, if they don't improve massively when you fix the levelling problem then I'd get them checked out. The HIDs on the Omega certainly aren't the best out there (my other car's are better) but they're still loads better than most halogens.

As for using fog lights on B roads etc, I don't really care if people do that as long as they use them like main beam and switch them off when cars are approaching. Technically it's still illegal but since there's no one to dazzle who cares. Dazzle from poorly adjusted headlights is bad enough but at least they're checked every year at MOT, the beam on fog lights is usually all over the place and personally I think the roads would be safer if we didn't have them at all.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 February 2007, 08:49:30 »

Well, the levelling problem has been found.  Motor is a block of rust!  Took the motor itself out of the case and tossed it, cleaned up what I could, set the adjuster just on the low side of middle, and put it back in.  Was MUCH better last night.  Set a tad high, so need to tweak it if I don't find a replacement motor soon.

Pitchfork

• Omega Baron
  • Tadley (near Basingrad)
  • Barndances & Morris
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 February 2007, 11:23:20 »

Well, the levelling problem has been found.  Motor is a block of rust!  Took the motor itself out of the case and tossed it, cleaned up what I could, set the adjuster just on the low side of middle, and put it back in.  Was MUCH better last night.  Set a tad high, so need to tweak it if I don't find a replacement motor soon.

If it's the Servo motor in the Headlamp that you are referring to, the assembly that I have available is complete with the servo as well as the ballast pack
Ian
Almost famous!   www.pitchforkband.co.uk Guitar & PA Amps repaired & serviced
Ears pierced while you wait. PAT & Valve testing

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 February 2007, 11:58:27 »

If it's the Servo motor in the Headlamp that you are referring to, the assembly that I have available is complete with the servo as well as the ballast pack
Ian
Thanks, but I'm going to see if I can just get the motor first.  I also have some other expensive problems to fix that may get priority.  >:(
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.