Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: At my wits end  (Read 916 times)

furrymunkey

• N.E Scotland
    • View Profile
At my wits end
« on: 25 February 2007, 12:45:59 »

Finaly got my wiring loom sorted out and ordered new crankshaft sensor. Put everything back together and first turn of the key the engine fired up and seemed to be idling fine. Then I switched it off and tried restarting it....no joy...just kept turning and coughing but wouldn't fire up. Bought yet another crank sensor, fitted it, and the car started again no probs. Then same again. Refused to start after being running. It's a 2.0 94 Omega and I checked the engine number to get the correct sensor. The codes I'm getting with the engine not running ( seeing as I can't get it started again ) are
:19 Incorrect Revs per Minute (RPM) signal (crankshaft sensor)    
:52 Check light (fault code lamp) Voltage high
:92 Camshaft sensor Incorrect signal

Any ideas on this one as it seems as though something is killing the crank sensor after the engine has been started.

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: At my wits end
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2007, 12:59:57 »

Finaly got my wiring loom sorted out and ordered new crankshaft sensor. Put everything back together and first turn of the key the engine fired up and seemed to be idling fine. Then I switched it off and tried restarting it....no joy...just kept turning and coughing but wouldn't fire up. Bought yet another crank sensor, fitted it, and the car started again no probs. Then same again. Refused to start after being running. It's a 2.0 94 Omega and I checked the engine number to get the correct sensor. The codes I'm getting with the engine not running ( seeing as I can't get it started again ) are

Any ideas on this one as it seems as though something is killing the crank sensor after the engine has been started.
That crank sensor fault just means the engine isn't turning, nothing wrong with crank sensor.  The cam sensor looks to be your problem.
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2007, 13:14:59 »

That crank sensor fault just means the engine isn't turning, nothing wrong with crank sensor.  The cam sensor looks to be your problem.

Yep sounds like Cam Sensor... where abouts are you furrymunkey? I have a spare cam sensor, its dieing and on its last legs, but it would prove if thats the problem.

Cam Sensors are not cheap around £54 ish iic

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2007, 14:42:20 »

Not quite Theolodian - a 31 is the engine not turning. A 19 is that it has seen the engine turning, but the signal is incorrect as far as ECU is concerned.

I this case, I would try a working cam sensor...
Grumpy old man

furrymunkey

• N.E Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2007, 15:19:36 »

I am near Glasgow unfortunately. When I remove the crank sensor and wipe the oil off it, which is clean as oil change was done not long ago, there are no marks or scrapes on the sensor to point to it being damaged in any way. I have a spare cam sensor but not sure if it's the right one. It's one I got with the cra but then nothing I got with the car has been right so far so I'll check the numbers on it first before trying it. Hopefully a new cam one will cure the problem. It just seems strange that when I fit a new crank sensor the car starts fine but won't restart  :-/

theolodian

• Omega Baron
  • Warwickshire
  • I need a new avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 February 2007, 20:29:39 »

Not quite Theolodian - a 31 is the engine not turning. A 19 is that it has seen the engine turning, but the signal is incorrect as far as ECU is concerned.

I this case, I would try a working cam sensor...
Urk.  I sit corrected.  I'll blame it on the crank sensor being such a traumatic experience.  ::)  Brain tries to blank out the details.  :P
Trains may have been invented here, but public transport is a foreign concept!

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 February 2007, 21:09:56 »

The 19 will take some time to clear, either 20 or 30 clean starts, so don't assume it's still fauly. If you are sure the wiring loom has good correct connections go for the cam sensor now.

When you try to start the car after the first time is it still warm from the previous go? Just wondering if you still have a bad connection in the crank sensor wiring and it works when cold. By the time you have replaced the sensor it's cooled enough to work again or you have disturbed the plug and it's made a good connection again. I can't see the wiring being wrong enough to blow a sensor but it works for the first run, the wiring must be correct but maybe a bad connection somewhere.

furrymunkey

• N.E Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2007, 21:27:01 »

I have tried the engine when it is both warm and stone cold and get the same result....non start. I assume the wiring is correct otherwise it would not start at all I would have thought??...gonna put the battery on full charge tonight and replace the cam sensor tomorrow. Weird though how I get the check lamp high voltage code though, I thought this was maybe connected in some way to the sensor messing up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.