Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.5td Chipping  (Read 4471 times)

platty

• Cambridge
    • BMW 530d Sport
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5td Chipping
« Reply #30 on: 16 April 2010, 16:56:34 »

I have a smoky 427 and I can squeeze 600 miles out of a tank by granny shifting. If I am on the move then this will drop to 450.

On a 75l tank that makes about 36mpg vs 27mpg.

Before my chip I would not have dreamed of getting 36mpg even if I drove downhill for 500 miles.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a +10 - what does that do? If it gets rid of the smoke i'm not interested  ;D

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 16 April 2010, 17:38:17 »

OK, we have 3 people who suffered worse MPG.  Lets see if we can find anything common.

Which ECU - 214, 215, 427, 428 ?
Gearbox - Auto/Manual ?
If 427 chip, which option - normal, +10, or 'old smokey!' ?

Ok mine's the 427, with the chip fitted it gives me around 3-5 mpg less, depending on what type of journey I'm doing. It smokes like hell no matter what brand of fuel I use. Oh and  I drive quite carefully, not got a lead right foot :y

Back to the standard fitted chip, it gives me around 33mpg just local stop/start type journeys. I've had 46mpg on a long m/way run, and it's just returned an average 26-27mpg towing up to Yorkshire last week.
Very little smoke billowing out of the exhaust now, only when I boot it, but no much :y
And no stuttering that I had with the other chip fitted, which I nearly forgot to mention.

So which chip do I have?

BTW it's a manual box

Mick ;)
« Last Edit: 16 April 2010, 19:05:41 by MickAP »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 16 April 2010, 18:29:43 »

OK, we have 3 people who suffered worse MPG.  Lets see if we can find anything common.

Gearbox - Auto/Manual ?

I can answer one of those:

Gearbox = Auto.

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 16 April 2010, 19:12:51 »

Gearbox - Auto/Manual ?

Gearbox = Auto.

Your ECU number will be on on the side of it, mine ends in the number 427.
If you don't already know it's under that black triangular box cover by the battery. It slides out to reveal the number.
Not good chipping an auto with an AR25 box, as I see in your sig. :-/

Mick ;)
« Last Edit: 16 April 2010, 19:14:21 by MickAP »

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 16 April 2010, 20:15:39 »

Gearbox - Auto/Manual ?

Gearbox = Auto.

Your ECU number will be on on the side of it, mine ends in the number 427.
If you don't already know it's under that black triangular box cover by the battery. It slides out to reveal the number.
Not good chipping an auto with an AR25 box, as I see in your sig. :-/

Mick ;)

Now 28K since chipping! :y :y :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 16 April 2010, 22:03:16 »

Gearbox - Auto/Manual ?

Ok mine's the 427, with the chip fitted it gives me around 3-5 mpg less, depending on what type of journey I'm doing. It smokes like hell no matter what brand of fuel I use. Oh and  I drive quite carefully, not got a lead right foot :y

Back to the standard fitted chip, it gives me around 33mpg just local stop/start type journeys. I've had 46mpg on a long m/way run, and it's just returned an average 26-27mpg towing up to Yorkshire last week.
Very little smoke billowing out of the exhaust now, only when I boot it, but no much :y
And no stuttering that I had with the other chip fitted, which I nearly forgot to mention.

So which chip do I have?

BTW it's a manual box

Mick ;)

My former tractor was exactly the same as this. :'(
'Plus 5' chip fitted.
33 MPG running solo locally, 23 MPG towing the caravan to Newent 2009.
My former 2.0 auto always returned the same figure when towing.
« Last Edit: 16 April 2010, 22:06:58 by Reliance505 »
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 16 April 2010, 22:17:51 »

Has anyone thought of fitting a 2.5td with an 'optional' chip or re-map? I'm thinking that it would be useful, in the interests of fuel economy, if you could select the chip or remap with a switch - Sports mode?- when required, and have it in normal mode for long range cruising.

To answer this part of the question, then yes, but only if the cars ECU excepts the eprom being switched whilst running. Ive had a switchable eprom piggy back board that I made myself for my Cosworth, just by using the enable pin on the prom and piggy backing the address and output pins. worked quiet well. never tried it in the Mig (petrol or Diesel) but as long as the main ECU is happy having the binary output being changed whilst working then should work?

Chris.  :y

Once it gets beyond " A suitable system of gears and linkages" I'm stymied, could you describe this in layman's terms please? :-/ :y

UrbanFox

• Yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 17 April 2010, 12:28:37 »

I have a smoky 427 and I can squeeze 600 miles out of a tank by granny shifting. If I am on the move then this will drop to 450.

On a 75l tank that makes about 36mpg vs 27mpg.

Before my chip I would not have dreamed of getting 36mpg even if I drove downhill for 500 miles.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a +10 - what does that do? If it gets rid of the smoke i'm not interested  ;D

I got 600miles from a full tank going to Swansea and back, unchipped 2.5td auto....

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 April 2010, 00:03:03 »

Has anyone thought of fitting a 2.5td with an 'optional' chip or re-map? I'm thinking that it would be useful, in the interests of fuel economy, if you could select the chip or remap with a switch - Sports mode?- when required, and have it in normal mode for long range cruising.

To answer this part of the question, then yes, but only if the cars ECU excepts the eprom being switched whilst running. Ive had a switchable eprom piggy back board that I made myself for my Cosworth, just by using the enable pin on the prom and piggy backing the address and output pins. worked quiet well. never tried it in the Mig (petrol or Diesel) but as long as the main ECU is happy having the binary output being changed whilst working then should work?

Chris.  :y

Once it gets beyond " A suitable system of gears and linkages" I'm stymied, could you describe this in layman's terms please? :-/ :y

I would be interested in this if it can be applied to a 2.5td. :-/ :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 April 2010, 09:09:50 »

Its pretty old technology, so they will have a Chip Enable line, which would be the key.  Being, afaik, just a map chip (not the software chip), it probably should be possible.
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 April 2010, 10:14:02 »

Its pretty old technology, so they will have a Chip Enable line, which would be the key.  Being, afaik, just a map chip (not the software chip), it probably should be possible.

It still doesn't explain how I would do it. :-/
« Last Edit: 18 April 2010, 10:14:38 by ci643215 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 April 2010, 12:27:29 »

It still doesn't explain how I would do it. :-/
From memory, the CE line is active low, so you'd need to send CE low on one of the chips, and CE high simultaneously on the other.  Rather than connecting then directly to 0v and 5v, I'd use pull-up and pull-down resistors.

Hope thats clearer
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19 April 2010, 20:36:18 »

That's much clearer thanks. If fitted, am I correct in thinking that these switching characteristics would apply to the ECU as modified?
V = 12.35 V, TA = 15°C. Where V is volts, TA =Ambient Temperature

BRIGSPORT

• Sunny Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 April 2010, 21:44:40 »

The m.p.g. of my chipped td is the reason i started the td or v6 thread.
I am probably way off the mark by comparing the car to my previous 406 hdi, but no matter how you drove it, it would always be good on fuel.
My car has a 427 ecu, and is a 'normal' chip as far as i know, as i thought the mad man chip would cause me to drive like a lunatic.
But due to the low down laggy nature of the engine, i feel i sometimes have to give it some to get it moving.
I drive a vw caddy tdi van everyday, and its how a td should be, responsive low down, but as i say, i am probably expecting too much from the omega.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 April 2010, 22:00:26 »

The m.p.g. of my chipped td is the reason i started the td or v6 thread.
I am probably way off the mark by comparing the car to my previous 406 hdi, but no matter how you drove it, it would always be good on fuel.
My car has a 427 ecu, and is a 'normal' chip as far as i know, as i thought the mad man chip would cause me to drive like a lunatic.
But due to the low down laggy nature of the engine, i feel i sometimes have to give it some to get it moving.
I drive a vw caddy tdi van everyday, and its how a td should be, responsive low down, but as i say, i am probably expecting too much from the omega.

The TDs all need a 'good kick' low down in the rev range.
Chipping improves this 'lag' - though it's still apparent. ::)

I've also got a Caddy van, though of the SDi variant - seems to do around 53mpg, and goes like the proverbial! :y
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.