Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Steering Groaning  (Read 3295 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Steering Groaning
« Reply #15 on: 15 June 2023, 20:41:22 »

STOP PRESS!!!

I have just found pictures on the internet of where the fluid should go.  I cannot believe I have never put any fluid in that black topped thingy! :o :o ;)

I will be looking there in the morning.

If it's never been changed then probably worth running completely new fluid through the system. Easy to do once the front wheels are off the ground so you can wind the steering lock to lock.

Oh and make sure you put Dex III in (getting harder to find now) the later spec fluid will rot the rubber pipes from the inside out.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 June 2023, 20:55:39 »

STOP PRESS!!!

I have just found pictures on the internet of where the fluid should go.  I cannot believe I have never put any fluid in that black topped thingy! :o :o ;)

If it's never been changed then probably worth running completely new fluid through the system. Easy to do once the front wheels are off the ground so you can wind the steering lock to lock.

Oh and make sure you put Dex III in (getting harder to find now) the later spec fluid will rot the rubber pipes from the inside out.

Can you put the new Dex III, or equilivant, on top of whatever is already in the system to avoid draining? ???

If not, where do you drain the system please? :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 June 2023, 21:21:31 »

STOP PRESS!!!

::) ::) ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 June 2023, 21:24:58 »

STOP PRESS!!!

Can you put the new Dex III, or equilivant, on top of whatever is already in the system to avoid draining? ???

Remove as much as you can from the reservoir .... large syringe/turkey baster/etc .... top up with new. Cycle steering as above. Rinse & repeat .... till the ATF/DEX III looks clean

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 June 2023, 10:24:57 »

STOP PRESS!!!

Remove as much as you can from the reservoir .... large syringe/turkey baster/etc .... top up with new. Cycle steering as above. Rinse & repeat .... till the ATF/DEX III looks clean

Thanks for that Andy :y :-*

Now I know what to do :D :D ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 June 2023, 13:24:13 »

This morning got the car out of the garage and, after checking the fluid level in the black thingy, went out to get the steering fluid, now Dex V1, from my Vx dealership.  No noise coming from steering, but still topped it up to the recommended level.

All down to the heat I believe, but it was a worthwhile exercise as it taught me about the power steering fluid, and also has pointed me in the direction of jacking up the car on another day to check out the steering mechanism as others had suggested.

Thank for all the advice guys! :-* :-* :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 June 2023, 13:54:23 »

power steering fluid is DEX 3 IIRC ssame as the ATF (gearbox juice you Lizzie)  ;)
I had a feeling, although originally specced as Dexron III, they reverted to Dexron II during manufacture.  It was certain Dex II that went in mine.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 June 2023, 15:29:10 »

This morning got the car out of the garage and, after checking the fluid level in the black thingy, went out to get the steering fluid, now Dex V1, from my Vx dealership.  No noise coming from steering, but still topped it up to the recommended level.

All down to the heat I believe, but it was a worthwhile exercise as it taught me about the power steering fluid, and also has pointed me in the direction of jacking up the car on another day to check out the steering mechanism as others had suggested.

Thank for all the advice guys! :-* :-* :y
Taking the weight off the suspension will reduce any symptoms.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 June 2023, 21:57:24 »

power steering fluid is DEX 3 IIRC ssame as the ATF (gearbox juice you Lizzie)  ;)
I had a feeling, although originally specced as Dexron III, they reverted to Dexron II during manufacture.  It was certain Dex II that went in mine.

That rings a bell ...

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 June 2023, 23:21:14 »

dexron 2 in mine as well.( was also advised that 3 would be ok but nothing else !)
certainly  wouldnt risk  using anything else regardless what any of the muppets in the shops would  tellyou !

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 June 2023, 21:43:54 »

All I know is that my trusted Vx parts manager checked my Omega’s specification, and told me that it was now Dex VI that is suitable for it. :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 June 2023, 22:03:47 »

All I know is that my trusted Vx parts manager checked my Omega’s specification, and told me that it was now Dex VI that is suitable for it. :)

Your trusted parts manager is wrong. It might have superseded it but it's not right.
« Last Edit: 17 June 2023, 22:05:51 by VXL V6 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 June 2023, 22:07:30 »

Your trusted parts manager is wrong. It might have superseded it but it's not right.
I am sure he will voluntarily pay to replace all the seals in the steering system when they magically dissolve one day.
Onanists always think outside the box.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2023, 09:38:37 »

I think that you are better off heeding the collective on here Lizzie, rather than a parts guy who has only seen a handful of Omega's in the whole of his working life.  ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 June 2023, 11:54:42 »

Dexron 3 is readily available in motor factors, ebay even HalFRAUDs sell it

clicky
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.