Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Rent a heated seat for your beemer  (Read 3055 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Rent a heated seat for your beemer
« on: 13 July 2022, 19:57:57 »

Dear me 😂

BMW introduces new heated seat subscription in UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-62142208
Diesel till I die

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Rent a heated seat for your beemer
« Reply #1 on: 13 July 2022, 20:19:32 »

This is why coding apps like Bimmercode and Carly are so popular for coding in options.

What makes the linked article interesting though is that a lot of the options must already be on the car at manufacture - ie heating pads in seats and steering wheel but coded out in the ECU.... That would have been like buying an Omega GLS but actually it's an Elite with bits turned off  ::)

The thing with over the air updates is how long before we see car manufacturers acting like Microsoft (Lets make Windows XP slower with the final service pack to encourage Windows 7 uptake) or Apple (Lets slow older devices down and tell everyone it's to preserve battery life). .........Hello Sir, we've decided that your car is now five years old so we've limited it to 50Mph and it will only start and drive between 9am and 6pm.  >:D

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 July 2022, 21:56:52 »

This is why coding apps like Bimmercode and Carly are so popular for coding in options.

What makes the linked article interesting though is that a lot of the options must already be on the car at manufacture - ie heating pads in seats and steering wheel but coded out in the ECU.... That would have been like buying an Omega GLS but actually it's an Elite with bits turned off  ::)

The thing with over the air updates is how long before we see car manufacturers acting like Microsoft (Lets make Windows XP slower with the final service pack to encourage Windows 7 uptake) or Apple (Lets slow older devices down and tell everyone it's to preserve battery life). .........Hello Sir, we've decided that your car is now five years old so we've limited it to 50Mph and it will only start and drive between 9am and 6pm.  >:D
The possibilities are endless. No more police chases in a beemer, or any other make for that matter. The rozzers just ring up and get the car switched off. Many, many more applications.
Diesel till I die

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 July 2022, 22:02:59 »

The possibilities are endless. No more police chases in a beemer, or any other make for that matter. The rozzers just ring up and get the car switched off. Many, many more applications.
More likely they let you do all the crimes and just bill you directly  ;D

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 July 2022, 23:10:30 »

Switched off? Nay! Think of the fuel savings if I got it to deliver them outside the nick in a locked car.

I would suggest that therwas an option to turn the heating up to 11 as well, but PSD would not appreciate it...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 July 2022, 11:23:03 »

Sadly we can't turn them off remotely (its already feasible) even on Police request (legislation).

In fact the country I have ever seen where we were allowed to remote disable startrup was in the Netherlands

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 July 2022, 11:36:48 »

Sadly we can't turn them off remotely (its already feasible) even on Police request (legislation).

In fact the country I have ever seen where we were allowed to remote disable startrup was in the Netherlands
Doesn't happen often - an OOF post that has gone round in a circle and returned to the original topic  :P
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 July 2022, 11:40:00 »

Well, I have a lovely Omega that no one can control remotly, and I have all round electricly heated seats without any subscription!! ;D ;D ;)

Viva la Omega :D :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 July 2022, 15:03:15 »

Well, I have a lovely Omega that no one can control remotly, and I have all round electricly heated seats without any subscription!! ;D ;D ;)

Nah, Omega's do that for themselves - every 40K when the Crank Sensor fails (Assuming you don't re-route the cable) they will stop dead without fail!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 July 2022, 15:49:49 »

As far as I know, and certainly in my ownership, the chav never had a crank sensor fail.  Obviously, there was (and probably still is ;D) a brand new one between the rear seats and the LPG tank, and a E8 socket and wrench ;D

The old Silver Bullet, that had 2 fail, once just outside Dijon and once at the NEC...   ...fortunately for the later, that one also had a spare in the boot, and a socket ;D
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 July 2022, 16:28:22 »

Nah, Omega's do that for themselves - every 40K when the Crank Sensor fails (Assuming you don't re-route the cable) they will stop dead without fail!

Only had one fail, and I did re-route the cable of the new one following the sound advice given on here :D ;)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 July 2022, 18:17:07 »

Mine failed on my current Omega at around 175000 miles, not long after I bought it. It was the original, so did exceptionally well.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 July 2022, 20:37:54 »

I think I only had two fail over the five v6's I had (well still got two but...), also had one fail on a 2.2DTi but on that engine it's still driveable..... just.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 July 2022, 20:49:08 »

The reason is in part down to cost saving.

Build the car with all options and activate what the customers asks for.

If the customer wants it later, they can test it and then buy it if they want it. By the same token, a lease company will take the car at least specification and if the customer wants to add something, it is at their expense. They can then turn it off later when returning it to lease.

Also, next owner may not want heated everything, but may want Android Auto and ACC (auto cruise control) as they do lots of travelling, turn the option on instead of looking for this one specific car.

Replacement parts, 1x control unit instead of 4x different ones. The list is endless.

We were told about this a while ago at my dealership. Some of the newest 2022-built cars have this already. Sales Manager X6 has the buttons for ACC but not activated. He drives round town for tots if 8 miles per day, does not need it, but next owner can have it so makes the car more saleable.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 July 2022, 07:19:34 »

I also think a big part of it is keeping the list price 'down'. When you have fairly middling 3 series going over £40k and a hot one can go North of £60k without even getting an M badge, they've probably realised there's a limit to what people will pay and they're pushing up at it. By splitting off the options, you can split the bill in two and make the total larger.

It's like a few years ago when various companies tried bundling the usual phone, TV and broadband package together with mobile phone service on one bill. Back then it didn't prove as popular as they thought it would because no one wanted to see a single bill for well over £100pcm.

Also, as said it allows them to make the same money over and over again. A £1000 option on a new car isn't worth £1000 on the second hand market (particularly if it's not popular), but £10pcm will always be just that (and no doubt index linked too so it keeps going up over time). I also wouldn't be surprised if there are limitations on downgrading options down the line to keep the money flowing.

In summary, cheaper for the manufacturer, more costly for the consumer  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.