Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Loft Insulation  (Read 1006 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Loft Insulation
« Reply #15 on: 09 August 2022, 09:59:14 »

Insulating between the roof joists is known as "hot roof". seen it on a few builds I have been on in the past and yes, an air gap was left.
Why not consider getting cavity wall insulation done? definatly makes a differance and with the hot roof, you would not need to take up the flooring to reinsulate that. But if you do, use rock wool instead of fibreglass as it is three times as good like for like thickness

Cavities were done about 15 years ago. I'm not convinced they are a good idea in our area though. Lots of reports of problems caused by it bridging the cavity causing damp problems. Saw a map once of areas that were advised not to have it, and we were in it. Something to do with westerly aspects that see the brunt of the prevailing weather.

Depends on the type of fill and the area, if your walls are exposed to regular wind driven rain that can soak the outer brickcourses, then it can be a problem. In the real world this is not many houses

scimmy_man

• Omega Knight
  • yorkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 August 2022, 17:51:17 »

Insulating between the roof joists is known as "hot roof". seen it on a few builds I have been on in the past and yes, an air gap was left.
Why not consider getting cavity wall insulation done? definatly makes a differance and with the hot roof, you would not need to take up the flooring to reinsulate that. But if you do, use rock wool instead of fibreglass as it is three times as good like for like thickness

Cavities were done about 15 years ago. I'm not convinced they are a good idea in our area though. Lots of reports of problems caused by it bridging the cavity causing damp problems. Saw a map once of areas that were advised not to have it, and we were in it. Something to do with westerly aspects that see the brunt of the prevailing weather.

more to do with crappy build quality

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 August 2022, 19:21:27 »

My house is built into the hillside and had cavity insulation installed nearly thirty years ago, and it has caused damp where the walls are below ground level and the insulation has bridged the gap.  :(

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 August 2022, 20:07:12 »

My house is built into the hillside and had cavity insulation installed nearly thirty years ago, and it has caused damp where the walls are below ground level and the insulation has bridged the gap.  :(
I have no such problem, no cavities in our walls.
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.