Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chasing Trains  (Read 972 times)

Martin_1962

Chasing Trains
« on: 21 April 2007, 20:37:22 »

Had a day out today, ended up at a local preserved railway, I wanted to do some videoing, Sue decided to go to the garden centre.

Why is it when ypu are time critical you always get Mr Slow? >:(

Anyway videoed it leaving the station, followed a Mr 40 but did a quick turn around and managed to get it crossing the main road. Then straight back in and drive to the other end of the station and get it heading out, next location was going to be just before the next station 3 miles or so away, fine for first 1/4 mile then stuck behind Mr VERY slow, kept slamming brakes on at 20, cost me around a minute, drove rather fast down some very twisty roads, went under railway just as the Hall went over, went past the hill climb and then right to a bridge with a good view, train went under >:( - missed shot.

Anyhow went about a mile up the road and found a side turning, went up onto private property, (stuff it I'm a share holder ;D) got camera up just as Hall came into view.

4 good shots for all that effort and very hot tyres! :)

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing Trains
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2007, 21:52:12 »

Are you sharing the pics with us then???

Is it the Hogworts Express?? ;)
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2007, 22:52:10 »

Still on the video camera - I will copy when I fill the tape

7903 Formarke Hall, I think it is the 4th one on our railway.

I was absolutely hammering between Gretton & Gotherington and trains have a 25mph limit ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2007, 00:55:08 »

I was absolutely hammering between Gretton & Gotherington and trains have a 25mph limit ::)

My garden backs onto the Watercress line and occasionally they move stock onto the main line at unpopular hours in the night. Judging by the noise they make at 3 AM the 25 MPH limit goes out the window then.  :o

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 April 2007, 07:57:21 »

Yes, its quite interesting the speeds that are sometimes used on preserved lines.....

Interestingly, our local preserved line (GCRN) which, is still very much in its infancy, has probably some of the most highly maintained track in the country as its used for training railway maintenance teams etc....lets just say....its VERY straight and flat...

x25xe

• Hayes, Middlesex
  • Avater removed due to size
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 April 2007, 09:48:34 »

Why is it when ypu are time critical you always get Mr Slow? >:(

Anyway videoed it leaving the station, followed a Mr 40 but did a quick turn around and managed to get it crossing the main road. Then straight back in and drive to the other end of the station and get it heading out, next location was going to be just before the next station 3 miles or so away, fine for first 1/4 mile then stuck behind Mr VERY slow, kept slamming brakes on at 20, cost me around a minute, drove rather fast down some very twisty roads, went under railway just as the Hall went over, went past the hill climb and then right to a bridge with a good view, train went under >:( - missed shot.

Anyhow went about a mile up the road and found a side turning, went up onto private property, (stuff it I'm a share holder ;D) got camera up just as Hall came into view.

4 good shots for all that effort and very hot tyres! :)

It always happens to me as well - you are in a hurry to get somewhere and the person in front has all the time in the world.  Sometimes I get more than  >:(, but I never hoot or flash them out of the way.  Only done this once on the M4 when my sister had broken down.  Sports mode engaged and kick down operational.  Was in the outside lane.  Person in front must have been doing about 50!  That is the only time I have flashed someone out of the way - they soon moved though when they saw me looming up in their rear view mirror!

Glad you got some good shots - once they are on tape, nobody can take them away.

What railway were you filming Martin and which camera were you using?
1998 2.5 V6 Omega CDX, Leather and Electric Pack!

Martin_1962

« Reply #6 on: 22 April 2007, 10:47:35 »

My garden backs onto the Watercress line and occasionally they move stock onto the main line at unpopular hours in the night. Judging by the noise they make at 3 AM the 25 MPH limit goes out the window then.  :o

Kevin

Part of their line is rated at 40 I think

Martin_1962

« Reply #7 on: 22 April 2007, 10:48:35 »

Yes, its quite interesting the speeds that are sometimes used on preserved lines.....

Interestingly, our local preserved line (GCRN) which, is still very much in its infancy, has probably some of the most highly maintained track in the country as its used for training railway maintenance teams etc....lets just say....its VERY straight and flat...

I have seen higher speeds - notable Diesels running at higher speeds, I know of class 14s taken to their maximum speed and I am sure a City & Castle double header was up over 30 at one stage.

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 22 April 2007, 10:49:38 »

Sony DC-TRV33 and the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway

A lot easier than humping a HVC4000P/SLF1UB outfit around!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.