Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where's the magic gone?  (Read 854 times)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Where's the magic gone?
« on: 22 April 2007, 21:55:03 »

As some of you may know, I am what you might call a ‘born again mechanic’… many (many) years ago I used to play with cars, take them apart and put them back together etc. Over the past 15-20 years I moved away from all that and stuck to dealer service. In part due to family and work constraints, as well as lose of interests, and in part due to the cars I owned being under warranty anyway.

Secretly I was still reading the likes of Car Mechanics Magazine, until I finally re-introduced myself to the wonderful world of DIY car mechanics in mid 2005, when I found the other site after looking for advice re the cambelt change (basically I didn’t believe the Vx dealer that the belt need doing at 40k/4y when the service book said 80k/8y.. I was wrong of course).

I would like to share with you my views on how the whole thing has changed… car mechanics used to be an art form (I kid you not), and now that art is lost… forever. Let look at a few very basic service procedures.

Let’s say I wanted to clean the carburettor. A perfectly sensible thing to do from time to time. You take the thing off, take it apart, dose it in carb cleaner (or petrol), give it a good brush down and put it back. While you’re at it, you need to adjust the float. Remember those drawings in Haynes? You hold the lid at 90 degrees and let the float rest on its valve, then measure the distance between the widest point of the float and the end of the lid gasket. Then bend the float arm to adjust as necessary. Next thing the jets. On high mileage engines, it was always advisable to check the jets hole side using a set of measuring rods, because the jets were made of brass or copper and tended to become wider with use. Once the thing is back in place, you need at the very least to adjust the mixture and idle speed if you have a single-carb engine. If you had a pair of SUs or Strombergs, then there was an additional balance screw to adjust (and let’s not talk about the needle in these carbs…). But if you happen to have a pair of dual-barrel Webbers, or perhaps a triple of those, then you were in for a very lengthy job involving vacuum gauges and witchcraft…

Next, let’s say you take the distributor off. You then put it back (making sure it’s the right way round because you could easily put it on turned at 180 degrees!), then clean the points with emery cloth and adjust the gap with a filler gauge. Then loosen the bracket and set the engine to TDC and the dizzy to the Static timing mark. Start the engine, and using a strobe set the dizzy for the correct advance at the specified fast-idle and high-rev speeds. Lock the bracket, take the car for a spin. Drive it on level ground at low speed in low gear without revving the engine. Then put it in fourth, and floor the accelerator. The car should pink just a bit but catch up without hesitating. Then drive the car downhill in high gear, and put it into low gear suddenly revving up the engine – it shouldn’t backfire. If you got this right, you had the car at the optimal timing advance settings. Until it all went out of tune a couple of months later, that is.

Camshaft out? The tappets need adjusting with a filler gague (or spacers, which was much worst). Change brake pads? Filler gauge again. Everything was down to adjusting and fine-tuning and getting it right. In the U.S. they still call it an engine ‘tune-up’, not service.

Torque wrench was only used when putting back the cylinder head, for everything else the mechanic had a 4-way table in his head which takes into account the bolt size, the lever size, the metal it went into, and errr… the direction of the wind. Well OK, not the last one... You needed to have a ‘feel’ for tightening bolts which was only acquired through experience – in other words through some stripped threads on one side and loose bolts on the other.

Why am I saying all this? Well during Easter I did the cam covers. I took off the plenum and intake manifold with the injectors rail, then put it all back together. The ‘tuning’ comprised of un-plugging three multi-plugs (two, if you don’t have Drive-by-Wire) and then plugging them back in. All the bolts were tightened to torque, fire-up the engine and it purrs like a kitten, just as it was when it left the factory. Steady idle at 500 rpm, nothing to measure, adjust, or fine-tune. No drama, not black art, no magic. A bit of an anti-climax, that is. Yes, you could say it was boring.

I guess it is better this way, and the garage mechanics have less room for error. For me, I still have to get used to this. So what’s the difference nowadays between a ‘good’ mechanic and a 'bad' one?  :o

« Last Edit: 22 April 2007, 22:12:55 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the magic gone?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April 2007, 21:59:07 »

A bad one can still get it wrong!
Grumpy old man

Martin_1962

« Reply #2 on: 22 April 2007, 22:12:11 »

I know what you mean, tappets were basic maintenance, only checked the air gap of the magnetic pickup once - can't see why it would be regular!

Stromberg carbs a new diaphram every couple of years helped too. Helps that I found a load for virtually bugger all.

Swap a cam - easy - head off, rods & followers out, oil pump out (messiest bit!), radiator was a 5 minute job - worst bit was cam catching front slam panel - molegrips sprted that!

HEad off - half an hour from switch off the head was removed.

I now have a car with a very awkwards theromstat, a complex drive belt rather than a chain, and very little room under the bonnet.

I still have fond memories of late model push rod engines, albeit with useful features like very short stroke, rather large valves, 8 port head and high in block cam shafts. Coupled with a bullet proof electronic ignition but I disliked carbs, if I had kept the car it was going to get big valves with sintered seats and weber compatible throttle bodies.

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 April 2007, 22:36:59 »

Well I just wish I had more confidence.
After watching/helping with two cambelt changes on my cars; I still gulp when I pop the bonnet  :-[
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 April 2007, 00:03:44 »

The magic's still there. The tools have just changed a little.

I have experienced the same in reverse.

7 Years ago I built a Westfield and used an off-the-shelf mapped ignition unit but with carbs supplying the fuel. It never ran that well on the carbs. It was thirsty and whilst it went like the clappers on a wide open throttle it ran like a dog under light load.

I did a bit of reading up on what makes engines work and found out how to make changes to the setup. The problem was, unless you've got a drawer full of chokes, jets, emulsion tubes and a "feel" for what each one would do for the characteristics of the engine it's still guesswork, and expensive at that, given the price of these items. I had a little play, took it for a quite expensive rolling road session and improved running in the end at the expense of greater fuel consumption.  >:(

About 4 years ago I came across some guys who started an internet project developing their own ignition and fuel injection ECU http://www.megasquirt.info

I decided that carbs were too much hassle and fuel injection was the way forward. I replaced the carbs with individual throttle bodies, built the ECU myself. I read every line of code in the (open source) firmware for the ECU and found out exactly how it works.

I also got myself a wideband lambda sensor and built a controller for it from a kit. This screws into the exhaust in the same way as a conventional Lambda sensor but it will tell you the air / fuel ratio that the engine is running at continuously on a gauge on the dashboard.

No one had put one of these setups on a Zetec engine before so I had a guess at fuel and ignition maps and set off up the road. I managed to limp to the local petrol station to fill it with fuel and within 30 miles of driving (logging what was going on on a laptop, stopping, adjusting the map, setting off again..) I had it running better than it ever had on carbs.

It's now much quicker at full throttle, much more flexible at low revs. There is no "knack" to starting it, just turn the key. It did 120 miles absolutely maximum to a (small) tank of fuel and it now does 165. The injection system is so much more open to tinkering than the carbs ever were (in my opinion, anyway).

The point being, you can still have a feel for what an engine needs, play with different ignition advance, fuelling, etc. In fact, it's easier than ever because instead of a drawer full of carb parts, you just need a laptop on the passenger seat.

I grant that this is not as easy on an Omega as on a simple kit car because the engine management is integrated with so many other systems on the car and access to the internals is very restricted, but it is possible to tinker in the way you describe and work magic. You just need the right project vehicle to play with!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.