Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh no, what have I done .... ?  (Read 28370 times)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no, what have I done .... ?
« Reply #315 on: 13 November 2012, 11:00:05 »

All injectors seem fully home. No damage or bent pins, etc on multiplug.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: 13 November 2012, 11:36:46 »

Had a good look in round the back of the plenum area, round hbv, etc but can't see anything untoward. Thought there was a spare plug, but it was just my eyesight  :D
Everything seems intact.
Heading to work shortly, so am leaving it as it is.
Any thoughts welcome in the meantime  :y

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: 13 November 2012, 12:20:35 »

Are you still having the same problem with this car?

Could it be possible with you not taking the wires out of the cable tray when changing the cam cover gaskets, you have pulled or broken a wire? The reason I ask this is because every cam cover I have removed I always release the wires from the cable tray over the oil filler to allow room.
There are three small earth wires from the loom that bolt onto a bracket at the rear of this head....... also on a 2.6 & 3.2 there is a small brown wire that looks easy to break.

Just ideas nothing more.
Daz x
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: 13 November 2012, 13:31:08 »

Cheers Daz. Funny, I was thinking about the cable tray from the last time. I don't remove it when doing the cam cover, but agree that in manoeuvring it out of the way, something may have been disturbed. Certainly it is an area that I haven't yet inspected, and I can't see anything else atm. I did notice two very fine single wires towards the bulkhead, which lead to my previous comment about the spare plug, as I didn't see the cable on the other end.
Any and all ideas most welcome  :y

The n/s cam cover looks secure and nothing trapped. I'm loathe to remove these again and disturb them, unless there would be a specific reason for me to do so?

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: 13 November 2012, 14:53:45 »

I don't believe you have trapped anything under the cam covers. Especially when you removed the said cam cover and replaced it checking nothing was in between.
If you remove the cable tray that runs from front to back over the oil filler it carries a whole load of wires. There are three all with ring electrical connectors on the end (ones you can put a 6mm both through) that are all separately bolted to the dispack plate on the passenger side.
I am trying to think if the 2.6 & 3.2 have these three wires or the single brown wire that has a sort of inline box on the wire if that makes sense (wiring is not my thing lol)..
I would check all of the wires in that area mate as that seems to me too be the prime suspect place.
Maybe wrong but worth checking... also there should be nothing in the way of connecters that are not connected to anything.
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: 13 November 2012, 16:31:03 »

Cheers Daz, I'll check it in the morning and see what's what  :y
I guess that'll be something else ruled out if nothing else.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: 13 November 2012, 16:40:50 »

Cheers Daz, I'll check it in the morning and see what's what  :y
I guess that'll be something else ruled out if nothing else.

I can not honestly think what else it could be.
If all you have actually done is to change a cam cover then all this happens after I think it's rather a long shot for something else to break whilst your fixing the cam covers. Unless of course you have either broken something, trapped or left something unplugged.
Like I say I would check if you have pulled a little too hard on the wiring loom as there are a few small breakable wires.
Good Luck hunting  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #322 on: 13 November 2012, 18:19:51 »

This wire goes to a little black box (radio interference suppressor?) by the rear multiram solenoid, which is bolted to the back of the 246 head. This wire connects directly to the coil pack feed from the ECU, and exits the cabletray along with the multiram and coil pack loom. If it is loose, don't for the love of god earth it  :o otherwise you will melt everything in the cable tray ::)

Mine was disconnected by corrosion, but re connecting it made absolutely no difference to my misfire.

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: 13 November 2012, 18:56:05 »

There is a (circular ?) multiplug at the front of the engine that connects the engine loom to the loom near the battery tray. It shouldn't be easy to disturb but if you have been pulling on the loom in the cable tray it may have been dislodged :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: 13 November 2012, 19:06:07 »

Thanks guys. Tomorrow is another day  ::)
I do think though, that if nothing is discovered, that we've virtually exhausted the electrical options, and I'll need to change tact   :(

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: 13 November 2012, 19:47:16 »

I know it's been touched on before, but I'm going to play devils advocate. This is mainly because of my ignorance, and lack of understanding, and is not intended to offend or make me appear ungrateful. That is certainly not the case. But I'm at work and the cars not, and I'm pondering .....

So, the source of the problem is believed to be a misfire, the cause of which I'm searching for. Atm all roads are pointing to electrical breakdown somewhere, and the understanding that the subsequent racket is brought about by the misfire. Is it possible that its the other way round? That the rattle is mechanical and causing the misfire? Whilst I appreciate codes aren't apparent in every situation, should they be showing in this one?

For example, we mentioned oil and lifters. Is it conceivable that if there was a problem with dry lifters that they could cause the noise, and any subsequent misfire?

With any luck I'll open the cable tray tomorrow and 'bingo'!! But if not, I'm just thinking of the next path to take. Just a thought, because really I don't know what I'm talking about   :-X :D

05omegav6

« Reply #326 on: 13 November 2012, 20:49:58 »

Noise yes, misfires no. Misfires are generally fuel or spark related :-\ lifters just make noise...

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: 13 November 2012, 20:52:07 »

Noise yes, misfires no. Misfires are generally fuel or spark related :-\ lifters just make noise...

Thanks for that al. I'll keep quiet now  :-X

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: 14 November 2012, 12:07:35 »

Well had a quick look at the cable tray this morning - it's a bu@@er to remove, isn't it? The two clips close together at the bend ......  :-X
Anyway, can't see how anything would get broken in there. It's well bound up at the ends, and exiting cables are covered. I'll have another look at the bulkhead end / exit just to be sure.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: 14 November 2012, 12:29:27 »

I think the point is .. when you do the cam cover gaskets you have to lift the tray/loom out of the way, I remove the tray completely and tie the loom up out of the way .. you didn't .. THEREFORE it is POSSIBLE that you have s-t-r-e-c-h-e-d the cables inside the tray so causing damage. The fact that the bindings at the end "look good" is of little proof.

When I had an insurance repair done to my rear bumper, it would appear that they never fully disconnected the reversing sensors when they took off the bumper .... it was a few weeks later that i started to get problems, and took over three months of faffing to solve .. although the cables all LOOKED good, somewhere in there was a stretch break that was intermittent, and caused varying voltages/currents, such that eventually 3 out of 4 sensors also failed.

A new loom (and sensors) fixed it instantly ... even though I had examined the loom meticulously.

MY advice, at this stage .. bite the bullet, take the tray apart and examine the internal loom as best you can.

A mate of mine had a 2.5 V6 some years back where that loom melted due to a short, it cost him a lot of time and money to fix, as he was unable to "prove" it was caused by the Vx garage who serviced it - including cam covers - just 3 months before.......  and this sounds very similar to his problems .. :(
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 17 queries.