Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: This could be the end for my Omega  (Read 10788 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: This could be the end for my Omega
« Reply #30 on: 08 February 2013, 09:43:13 »

Yep, that won't be a particularly aggressive tune. You can see that power peaks at 6500  which isn't far off a standard engine. The torque at lower revs drops off more than I'd expect. Either the intake they used was short or they did put hot cams in it. An Omega intake will bring that back up.

If they've put lairy cams in it they are not doing their job, probably due to valve sizes or some other restriction in the breathing but, if that's the case, it's only an afternoon's work to replace them for some 3L cams which should see it perform very well.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

v6man54deg              Geffd

• Wirral Merseyside
  • V6 man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 08 February 2013, 10:17:00 »

i used to work in the V6 plant on durability- the torque was different because they locked off the multi ram system which gives low down torque - if you see pictures of the engines they used for this they actually wired them off so they couldnt move. the higher rpm was to improve power which it did probably more by ecu than engine mods - i know one after market tuner used to block off the oil pressure regulater which regulates the oil pressure to 5 bar and instead used the oil pressure relief valve which was regulated to around 10 bar - ok for short term race then rebuild the engine but no good for every day use. 
Yep, that won't be a particularly aggressive tune. You can see that power peaks at 6500  which isn't far off a standard engine. The torque at lower revs drops off more than I'd expect. Either the intake they used was short or they did put hot cams in it. An Omega intake will bring that back up.

If they've put lairy cams in it they are not doing their job, probably due to valve sizes or some other restriction in the breathing but, if that's the case, it's only an afternoon's work to replace them for some 3L cams which should see it perform very well.
V6 problems solved : Worked at the V6 Engine plant for 13 years on durability testing and warranty issues, this job included many trips to Russelsheim, Trollhattan, Michigan, Atlanta,keiserslaughtern.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08 February 2013, 10:34:17 »

As we know, the head and valve design is quite restrictive with anything over 10mm or so of lift highlighting the port restriction.

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10 February 2013, 18:50:15 »

According to the build part numbers list the cams are Cadillac Cetera 3.0 Cams.
In Europe they are sold as Opel performance cams.

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 February 2013, 19:33:07 »

I've been busy amassing parts for the rebuild.
It's a slow process as I have no money to spare (who does eh?) but I'm getting there.
So far I have ordered:
Cam timing kit (ordered, paid for, hasnt turned up - ebay dispute pending I think!  >:(  )
3.2 Exhaust manifolds (breathe dammit!)
Sump
Sump gasket.

I have started stripping the engine and it's covered in cobwebs.
The cam timing is out - not far so no damage but still...
If you look at the pic you can see that the right bank doesnt line up the same as the left.

The manifolds have also been removed.
The next thing to do will be remove and check the oil cooler.

There is a small amount of dust/debris on top of the valves on the left bank so I'll be giving that a blast with the air line to clear it.

Once I get the sump changed over I'll get some parts removed from the old engine to fit.  I have so far left the old engine alone so that I can move the car if needed.

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 04 March 2013, 22:40:02 »

There has been some progress.
The Swindon engine has been thoroughly cleaned, inspected, stripped down and painted.  The old engine is out and the engine mounts have been transferred over along with the sump, starter and brackets for the aircon and power steering.

I re-used the cam pulley wheels off the old engine as the ones fitted to the new engine were a bit pitted between the teeth.
The water pump seemed ok but behind it there hid a mess!

That's all been flushed out now and the stainless steel heat exchanger has been fitted.
I fitted the water pump from the old engine as I know it's good, having fitted it myself only six months ago.

The old engine was pretty well mayo'd up.

Plans:
Finish transferring parts from old engine (knock sensors etc)
Delete the now unnecessary exhaust port restrictions with a port grinder.
Fit the 3.2 manifolds (waiting on gaskets ATM)
Modify the downpipes

Once all that is done I can get it off the stand and fit the flex plate (new bolts) ready to get it into the car.
It's slow going, mainly due to working on my own most of the time and the pain meds I'm on not working too well.  Still, slow progress is still progress!

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 04 March 2013, 22:57:32 »

Keep it up Murph. I'm keen to see the how this works out. Takes a while but once you get your head round it the Omegas not to bad to work on. However I do sometimes find myself wishing for a straight 6 Carlton  :P
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 March 2013, 23:14:54 »

that sounds just the same spec as the Vectra Gsi engine - 2.5 with 3.0 cams for around 200 BHP.

I wonder what the difference between the map in that webcon ECU and the kosher Vectra one is ?

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 March 2013, 22:40:32 »

More progress today, although not as much as I would have liked.
Here's what I started with:

..and here's where it's at now.

I was supplied the wrong cam cover gaskets so I have temporarily fitted the metal covers. I'll get the right ones and when they start to leak I will change them back to the plastics.
It's had a good clean and a coat of paint, the oil cooler has been reseated with new seals and the plate has been reseated.
3.2 Manifolds are now on and the new timing kit is on and set up.

When my mate helped me remove the engine he insisted on stripping most of it out first and I'm sure this wasn't necessary. All the wiring is still under the bonnet but I'm sure it can be fitted back onto the engine prior to fitting so I'll be looking at that tomorrow.

I have a head gasket to change on a Carlton tomorrow so I may not get as much done as I'd like.... again!

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09 March 2013, 08:26:29 »

Plans:
Finish transferring parts from old engine (knock sensors etc)
Delete the now unnecessary exhaust port restrictions with a port grinder.
Fit the 3.2 manifolds (waiting on gaskets ATM)
Modify the downpipes

So what does that involve Murph?

BTW, I have all the bits here to convert to manual if you wanna do that at the same time  ;)
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 March 2013, 16:55:08 »

The EGR outlet ports can be ground out and the ports matched to the 3.2 manifolds, which should improve flow.

The downpipes need to be slightly modified to fit the flanges on the 3.2 Manifolds - nothing major though, 5 mins with a frinder will see it done.

Manual conversion eh?  I can't say I'm not tempted but Sterling is a bit of a way to come pick up parts,  I doubt I'd end up in your neck of the woods again any time soon unfortunately.

I didnt get anything done yesterday as the Carlton turned into a nightmare of a job.... in fact it's still here and in need of a new engine. 
We got the head gasket done and had it running, but while we were filling the coolant system it suffered a terminal bottom end failure which has completely locked up the engine.  Luckily I have a spare engine but it wont go in til next weekend now.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 10 March 2013, 21:44:47 »

have plenty of Carlton engines here......

what do you need ?

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11 March 2013, 11:57:56 »

It's a C20NE but no worries - we have another C20NE, a 20SE and a 20SEH to choose from.
The biggest problem I have is that my back is complaining about misuse!

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 14 March 2013, 08:55:42 »

The EGR outlet ports can be ground out and the ports matched to the 3.2 manifolds, which should improve flow.

So it that a head off job?

The downpipes need to be slightly modified to fit the flanges on the 3.2 Manifolds - nothing major though, 5 mins with a frinder will see it done.

I'm sure it'll be obvious when the 3.2 mainfolds arrive.

Manual conversion eh?  I can't say I'm not tempted but Sterling is a bit of a way to come pick up parts,  I doubt I'd end up in your neck of the woods again any time soon unfortunately.

You know where I am if you change your mind mate  ;)

I didnt get anything done yesterday as the Carlton turned into a nightmare of a job.... in fact it's still here and in need of a new engine. 
We got the head gasket done and had it running, but while we were filling the coolant system it suffered a terminal bottom end failure which has completely locked up the engine.  Luckily I have a spare engine but it wont go in til next weekend now.

Nightmare!
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

Murph

• Dartford, Kent
    • 2.5 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 March 2013, 20:28:26 »

I've had better days Steve   :-\

I've had to rest up since the weekend but will be out there tomorrow trying to make some progress.  I have a friend pitching in and another coming on saturday and sunday.

What I really need is someone who's done this job on an omega before.

Any volunteers?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.