Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Major coolant leak  (Read 11159 times)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
Re: Major coolant leak
« Reply #60 on: 14 October 2013, 17:12:18 »

Just found the leak  :) and it is the cooler plate, there is a big nut on it near the front and it has corroded away there, there is a big hole, now I need a new one, scrappy or new one ?

Has the plate been damaged?  If so a good sh one from a scrappy will do it. 

But it's worth checking the oil cooler while it is off as when these go it's a bugger to clean out all the sludge from the coolant circuit (several days in many cases).  If the oil cooler looks new (and I bet it isn't if a bolt has rusted away) then I would recommend that you get one from vauxhall.  For the sake of a few quid it's a lot of work to replace and I would not trust a pattern one in this instance.

Nice work so far :y

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • 2001 2.6 CD Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 14 October 2013, 17:29:44 »

It's the actual plate near the nut that has corroded away, I saw a new cooler and plate on ebay for £160   :o  I just want a second hand plate, my mot runs out in a couple of months the abs ecu needs re furbing I think and |I cant keep spending money on it if I cant get another mot, I dunno bloody cars  :)
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 17:40:50 by Mart280 »

albitz

« Reply #62 on: 14 October 2013, 17:53:46 »

I may have a spare cooler plate among all my bits & pieces. I will have a look in the morning.If In haven't got back to you by mid afternoon,remind me,as my memory is patchy at best. :y ;D

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 14 October 2013, 18:11:13 »

I may have a spare cooler plate among all my bits & pieces. I will have a look in the morning.If In haven't got back to you by mid afternoon,remind me,as my memory is patchy at best. :y ;D

Thanks mate will do  :y

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 14 October 2013, 19:22:05 »

Theoretical question here chaps, what would happen if I bypassed the oil cooler, take it out of the cooling system so to speak, someone told me most modern cars dont have oil coolers and suggeted I bypass it, like I said I'm not going to but seriously what would be the outcome ?

albitz

« Reply #65 on: 14 October 2013, 20:31:55 »

Its not so much a cooler as a heat exchanger. It sits in the coolant so the oil is kept at optimum temperature.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #66 on: 14 October 2013, 22:20:12 »

Theoretical question here chaps, what would happen if I bypassed the oil cooler, take it out of the cooling system so to speak, someone told me most modern cars dont have oil coolers and suggeted I bypass it, like I said I'm not going to but seriously what would be the outcome ?

Many "experts" usually found in pubs ;D ;)  Vx fitted the oil "cooler" for a reason
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #67 on: 14 October 2013, 22:22:55 »

I do have one. Unusually I went in the shed and it was the first thing  I saw. PM incoming. :y

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 14 October 2013, 23:34:07 »

Many "experts" usually found in pubs ;D ;)  Vx fitted the oil "cooler" for a reason

Thats what I thought  :y

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 14 October 2013, 23:37:20 »

I do have one. Unusually I went in the shed and it was the first thing  I saw. PM incoming. :y

Excellentthanks   :)

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 15 October 2013, 17:22:01 »

Just to show you guys the hole  :) I have pushed a clear cable tie into it.
Can I swap that over without draining my oil ?

05omegav6

« Reply #71 on: 15 October 2013, 17:26:22 »

Would have thought yes, as it is pretty much the highest point on the block :-\

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 15 October 2013, 17:29:13 »

Get some paper roll or rags into those open inlets before you drop a nut/bolt into there and forget about it until you start up and valves will get bent.

If removing plate you will require tube of grey VX sealnt to reseal back..alos the dowty washers for the coolant bridge and also the rubber O rings for the threaded hollow bolts to oil feeds..VX part only

Mart280

• East Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 15 October 2013, 17:45:53 »

Get some paper roll or rags into those open inlets before you drop a nut/bolt into there and forget about it until you start up and valves will get bent.

If removing plate you will require tube of grey VX sealnt to reseal back..alos the dowty washers for the coolant bridge and also the rubber O rings for the threaded hollow bolts to oil feeds..VX part only

I put rag in when im working on it, do I just go to vauxhall dealer and they will have the parts ? sorry for noob questions.

05omegav6

« Reply #74 on: 15 October 2013, 17:50:33 »

The sealant should be stocked, the other bits might need ordering, but most parts are next day or two day :y
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.