Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the differences between the Omega B1 and B2? Are they only cosmetic?  (Read 32238 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

Seeing you talk like that it makes it sound like you don't think a whole lot of the Omega.  :(

But you do have one right?
I have 2:
1998 3.0l auto MFL MV6, 231k miles
and
2003 3.2l auto FL Elite with chavved up Irmscher styling stuff on it, 116k miles

Both LPG converted.

The MV6 is getting very tired now, particularly body/chassis corrosion. Internally, looks in good condition, although I've scratched the leather seat bolster on drivers side with jean studs, zips and everything else.

I paid £3199 for it in 2003, so have had it 13yrs in about 3 weeks time :o

I have put a fair amount of time and effort into looking for a replacement for it this year, and thought a £10k budget for something 6 or 7yrs old and sub 100k miles would be more than healthy enough...

...how wrong could I be. *ANYTHING* out there for that budget/age/mileage is a considerable compromise on what I already have.

So, I may not really be the biggest fan of a rather non-descript, easily missed, big Vauxhall, but you do have to put down a lot of money to get anything anywhere near as capable/convenient/quick/cheap-to-run/comfortable
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile

In a word... Soul ;)
A semi classic car doesn't make a very good daily driver. Ever.
Grumpy old man

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

So, I may not really be the biggest fan of a rather non-descript, easily missed, big Vauxhall, but you do have to put down a lot of money to get anything anywhere near as capable/convenient/quick/cheap-to-run/comfortable

I agree 100%. This is why I decided to buy an Omega actually. Anything else I looked at, you know, 4 doors, saloon, luxurious and RWD cost a lot more. Then I compared to the Omega and I'm thinking, really, this is all I get extra, basically a name badge and...well, nothing else? ;D

Like you say, unless you put down a whole lot more money, like a boat load and get something a new W212 based AMG it won't really beat the Omega hands down for the extra money. So I don't see much point. :)

As for being nondescript and easily missed, I personally find the PFL Steinmetz Kompressor quite exotic and good looking. Trick is to find a real one which is not just a car with a replica body kit and no Steinmetz engine. ;D Also, all the replicas out there look quite bad. Just like all the fake M3s.  ;D

As for big Vauxhall, it's the right size for me. To be honest compared to today's heavy fat cars it's already on the smaller side. I'm pretty sure a new BMW 3 is not much smaller if at all. The current 5 series is a boat compared to the Omega.  ;)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

In a word... Soul ;)
A semi classic car doesn't make a very good daily driver. Ever.

:y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

In a word... Soul ;)

This is the only reason I thought could be. Because technically it is not superior and will never be.  ;)

But it's not even an Irmscher. It's a GSi 3000. They are run of the mill wide produced models. Irmscher, Mantzel and of course the Lotus definitely have soul and pedigree in spades. The Gsi not so much. Well, not enough to be worth the sacrifice in comfort, safety, practicality and reliability anyway. It's not the Lotus  ;)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

Before you go splashing your money on anything C30SE related price up some timing chain guides, these are NLS at Vauxhall/Opel, unless the boys over in ABS have done a group buy and funded a low volume manufacture they will be like the proverbial rocking horse poo.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

I see. But the 12v version is fine then?

By the way, a little update. I have now driven a 2.5 FL and also the prior mentioned GSi.

I have to say I enjoyed the GSi way way more.  :o

The 2.5 FL drove like what I would call a normal car. But the GSi was just special somehow. But it is a 24v.

That's great. This is all I needed. One more factor to mud the waters. It wasn't complicated enough to choose between the PFL exterior and the FL interior and upgrades.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Told you ::) ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

The 12v is a bit more robust than the 24v but being older I suspect that the timing chain guides would still be NLS.

If you do go down the Carlton route try and find one that has had the timing chains and guides done on it, though they are at 100k intervals and if you`re not using it as a daily driver you`re unlikely to need them doing again.
Some of the guides have been known to break up under the 100k interval though so it`s something to factor in.
The other thing is that the rear diff mounts are unavailable from anywhere, the last stocks of Boge mounts went over five years ago and there aren`t many good examples around, Keith from ABS on here is the guy to speak to if you`re seriously interested in getting a Carlton GSi, he can point you in the right direction for parts and I would also advise you to join the ABS club.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Before you go splashing your money on anything C30SE related price up some timing chain guides, these are NLS at Vauxhall/Opel, unless the boys over in ABS have done a group buy and funded a low volume manufacture they will be like the proverbial rocking horse poo.

Is this the time chain guide part you are referring to:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAIN-GUIDE-straight-C30SE-3-0-24v-90352572-90-352-572-90352572-NEW-/361563039577?hash=item542ed62759:g:sj0AAOSwmc1XPNgb

If so I had no difficulty in finding it. I found it from several sources and also found a used one for £70. :)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAIN-GUIDE-straight-C30SE-3-0-24v-90352572-90-352-572-90352572-NEW-/361563039577?hash=item542ed62759:g:sj0AAOSwmc1XPNgb

If so I had no difficulty in finding it. I found it from several sources and also found a used one for £70. :)

Thats one of them, there are two but I wouldn`t use a second hand one.

I`m not saying you can`t get one, there will always be someone that has a new one unused or surplus to requirements, just that there are none in any Vauxhall/Opel dealers. It is unlikely that GM will sanction another production run and there was talk on the ABS forum about trying to source the appropriate material and get some machined but until that happens you`re stuck with sourcing parts form other people, some will sell at a reasonable price some won`t.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Thats one of them, there are two but I wouldn`t use a second hand one.

I`m not saying you can`t get one, there will always be someone that has a new one unused or surplus to requirements, just that there are none in any Vauxhall/Opel dealers. It is unlikely that GM will sanction another production run and there was talk on the ABS forum about trying to source the appropriate material and get some machined but until that happens you`re stuck with sourcing parts form other people, some will sell at a reasonable price some won`t.

I don't think £175 is too bad. And I found several new ones for around that price. Considering they won't go bad too often and you will probably go through probably 2 of them through the car's life unless you are very unlucky, I think £175 is not even bad. It's basically a classic car now. Is the timing chain guide the most difficult part to find in your opinion?

And do you mean you need 2 timing chain guides per engine?

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

By the way, I just noticed the FL Vauxhall Omega has two different front bumpers?

Is this due to different years or different trims?

Thanks.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Top pic is standard...

Lower pic is MV6/Sport and was made specifically for Vauxhall by Provide :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

Top pic is standard...

Lower pic is MV6/Sport and was made specifically for Vauxhall by Provide :y

Wasn`t Prodrive?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 17 queries.