Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the differences between the Omega B1 and B2? Are they only cosmetic?  (Read 32238 times)

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile

The was a 'Johnny Cecotto' Edition Omega in Europe that had all of the Irmscher stuff on it that I think had something to do with the V8 Star touring car series.

As for the LC self levelling, that was there to stop the front end lifting at silly speeds. The rear spoiler was functional as it provided positive downforce on the rear of the cars which in turn caused the front to lift so the suspension levelling countered this to maintain the rear ride height at 630mm to the bumper line which maintained the pitch of the car and the steering control.

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile

Not sure whether it has been mentioned but the backend is different too. Different boot lid, bumper, light and quarter panels on the saloon so more difficult to change. Estate has a different bumper and tailgate trims. The lights are also different but a straight swap.

Door rubbing are smooth and painted on the facelift.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

The picture is not from an UK car. It's from a German car. It's from an Opel. Not a Vauxhall.  ;) ....

we'd guessed that as the steering wheel has an Opel blitz & is on the wrong side ......  ::)

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend anybody. I meant it very tongue in cheek, hence my wink emoticon, since Diamond Black Geezer mentioned UK cars. Diamond Black Geezer, I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. If it came across that way I apologize.  :(

No apology necessary, didn't even notice.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Sorry, standard Omega with lots of chavvy shit stuck to it ::)

Even the screen is 'normal' in a £400 option kinda way... available with both NCDC2013 and 2015 :y

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant about the screen.  ???

And what do you find chavy on the dashboard, besides the chrome little things on the ashtray? It looks very much like any modern car these days, including the chrome rings around the dials. :)
A picture paints a thousand words, so here's two...

As for the instrument cluster, that's plain nasty, especially given that someone actually had to put time and effort into making it look so bad...

Fitting the gear lever from a Ford Scorpio (at least that's what it looks like) makes no sense either, the phone holder by the ashtray is beyond words...

The thing on the dash top is the display for aftermarket parking sensors, again something that could have had alot more thought applied to it.

But, each to their own, and fortunately I will most likely never see that car, let alone drive it... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Not sure whether it has been mentioned but the backend is different too. Different boot lid, bumper, light and quarter panels on the saloon so more difficult to change. Estate has a different bumper and tailgate trims. The lights are also different but a straight swap.

Shells are identical under the rear wings.

And in an emergency, a prefacelift boot lid will fit a facelift car. The physical difference being next to the rear lights, where there would be a gap.

Tailgates and doors are effectively identical.*

For each phase of production there are eight basic shells: Saloon/Estate, With/out sunroof, Left/Right drive.

*earlier door hinges might and loom entries might be different.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

The picture is not from an UK car. It's from a German car. It's from an Opel. Not a Vauxhall.  ;) ....

we'd guessed that as the steering wheel has an Opel blitz & is on the wrong side ......  ::)

Sorry. I didn't mean to offend anybody. I meant it very tongue in cheek, hence my wink emoticon, since Diamond Black Geezer mentioned UK cars. Diamond Black Geezer, I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. If it came across that way I apologize.  :(

No apology necessary, didn't even notice.  :y

Glad to know! :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

The was a 'Johnny Cecotto' Edition Omega in Europe that had all of the Irmscher stuff on it that I think had something to do with the V8 Star touring car series.

As for the LC self levelling, that was there to stop the front end lifting at silly speeds. The rear spoiler was functional as it provided positive downforce on the rear of the cars which in turn caused the front to lift so the suspension levelling countered this to maintain the rear ride height at 630mm to the bumper line which maintained the pitch of the car and the steering control.

Thanks for the input. And I guess the MV6 just doesn't go fast enough to have the same problem, so they deleted the self leveling function for the sports suspension for some reason?

Thanks for bringing the Johnny Cecotto' Edition Omega to my attention. I had not heard of it before. I will do some reading on it.

I'm really enjoying this forum. Lots of great helpful people with profound knowledge about the cars and a great atmosphere. Learning a bunch here.  :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

No it wasn't mentioned. Thanks for bringing it up!  :y

You know, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I like the external looks of the B1 Omega, but the interior of the B2 Omega. I also would like to get a B2 because of all the quality and safety improvements on it. But to buy a B2 to fully retrofit to look like a B1 looks like a foolish idea and like it would be too expensive as well. The front seems easy enough. But to change the rear quarters can't be an easy DIY task.

But finding a lower mileage B1 with no or little rust seems also way harder than a B2. Let alone upgrade the B1 interior to the B2. And I would still not have all the B2 upgrades.

I'm in trouble, right?  :(

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Sorry, standard Omega with lots of chavvy shit stuck to it ::)

Even the screen is 'normal' in a £400 option kinda way... available with both NCDC2013 and 2015 :y

I'm sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant about the screen.  ???

And what do you find chavy on the dashboard, besides the chrome little things on the ashtray? It looks very much like any modern car these days, including the chrome rings around the dials. :)
A picture paints a thousand words, so here's two...

As for the instrument cluster, that's plain nasty, especially given that someone actually had to put time and effort into making it look so bad...

Fitting the gear lever from a Ford Scorpio (at least that's what it looks like) makes no sense either, the phone holder by the ashtray is beyond words...

The thing on the dash top is the display for aftermarket parking sensors, again something that could have had alot more thought applied to it.

But, each to their own, and fortunately I will most likely never see that car, let alone drive it... ::)

I agree with you about all the extra things like gear lever, parking sensor and specially the phone holder. The Omega actually has a radio phone feature right? Do you even need to have access to the actual phone?

But I'm fine with the instrument cluster. It doesn't look amateur or home made to me.

And thanks a lot for the brochure picture explaining the LCD. I will have a read.  :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Just to complicate it, the MV6 in the UK were the Sports spec, in Opel land, depending from which Country the MV6's were not all the same spec, in fact some of our Elites spec were called Opel MV6.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

The Facelift Omega came with two factory options for phones, both types were available with or without Bose enabled, and both were optional across the range :y

Option one...
CCRT 2008 has no nav, but does have cassette and 4 disc changer. Full size sim card inserts into a slot behind the control panel. Also has unique display.

Option two...
NCDC2015, same as 2013, except it has a single din sized unit which lives in the glovebox. This also requires a full sized sim card.

Both option give the car its own phone number, but to recieve calls from your mobile, it must first be diverted to the cars number.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

Just to complicate it, the MV6 in the UK were the Sports spec, in Opel land, depending from which Country the MV6's were not all the same spec, in fact some of our Elites spec were called Opel MV6.

Indeed, I think that's actually where Vauxhall got the 'MV6' badge from in the first place! Pinched it from the Opel parts bin. The Elite was I think Vauxhall's way of keeping a bit of the Senator alive, as a separate model. That's why if you look all the other PFL badges they are separate chromed letters glued onto a black rectangle, which sits in the door moulding. The Elites the letters and rectangle are all in one, you can't 'ping' the letters off; and the chrome notoriously wears thin, until pretty much just the black remains. Obviously this was a cost thing, as the Elite badges were for UK-only cars.  :)
« Last Edit: 25 October 2016, 13:43:19 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile

Indeed, I think that's actually where Vauxhall got the 'MV6' badge from in the first place! Pinched it from the Opel parts bin. The Elite was I think Vauxhall's way of keeping a bit of the Senator alive, as a separate model. That's why if you look all the other PFL badges they are separate chromed letters glued onto a black rectangle, which sits in the door moulding. The Elites the letters and rectangle are all in one, you can't 'ping' the letters off; and the chrome notoriously wears thin, until pretty much just the black remains. Obviously this was a cost thing, as the Elite badges were for UK-only cars.  :)
Eh ???  Facelifts all had individual lettering stuck to the doors...

The specs on the logbooks are at the mercy of the idiot filling in the original registration paperwork...

Used to have an early facelift Vectra C, built and sold as a 1.8i Design Saloon, but registered by the supplying dealers work experience temp as an Exclusive :D

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

I found some info on the Johnny Cecotto' Edition. Unfortunately it seems it was a body kit only. No engine upgrades. I'm disappointed in Irmscher. The house that put out the EVO500 suddenly is happy with selling body kits only.  :-[ I guess this leaves the Steinmetz Omega as the ultimate Omega B.

The Johnny Cecotto' Edition styling package was available for any Omega of the range. It looks like it was a list option. I knew already that Irmscher wheels were a list option. But a whole styling package definitely puts Irmscher as a list option. Still not a list model per say. But being able to order it directly from Opel puts it a notch above of being only an aftermarket mod.

You could also choose a suspension package with the Johnny Cecotto' Edition. Although I couldn't find any information of how it would be different from the stock suspensions.

Here are some shots of the Johnny Cecotto' Edition Omega brochure I found online:

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Thanks for the input. And I guess the MV6 just doesn't go fast enough to have the same problem, so they deleted the self leveling function for the sports suspension for some reason?

Just to pick up on this, the Elite's self levelling system does have a vehicle speed input, so it's not impossible that it is adaptive to high speed driving but, of course, the MV6 doesn't have the self levelling at all and the Elite suspension is a bit wallowy, IMHO.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.