Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the differences between the Omega B1 and B2? Are they only cosmetic?  (Read 32236 times)

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Thanks for the input. And I guess the MV6 just doesn't go fast enough to have the same problem, so they deleted the self leveling function for the sports suspension for some reason?

Just to pick up on this, the Elite's self levelling system does have a vehicle speed input, so it's not impossible that it is adaptive to high speed driving but, of course, the MV6 doesn't have the self levelling at all and the Elite suspension is a bit wallowy, IMHO.

Thanks for the info. What I'm trying to understand is why they did away with the leveling system in the MV6, since I would have thought it would be helpful for a sports suspension.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile

The self-levelling was only for the rear axle... and really designed for towing / heavy loads in the boot.  :) Not the same setup in the Senator of earlier years, with its three-mode ride height/stiffness. That was ahead of its time, definitely.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile

Probably cost, I guess. The MV6 was missing most of the costly extras from the Elite - leather, sunroof, memory seats, etc. so guessing it was positioned to offer good performance per pound. Or maybe they decided to ditch all the pointless stuff that just weighs it down. ;)

Also, being more stiffly sprung, it doesn't respond so badly to being fully loaded (although it'll drag its' @rse a little with a full boot when towing). I would imagine Elite suspension without levelling would be a good bit worse in that regard.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile

The self-levelling was only for the rear axle... and really designed for towing / heavy loads in the boot.  :) Not the same setup in the Senator of earlier years, with its three-mode ride height/stiffness. That was ahead of its time, definitely.

It didn`t change the ride height at all, just the damping rates  :y

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

I see. So the MV6 was not the top of the range? I always thought the MV6 had all the Elite had but just more sporty.

I'm not sure in Germany they had the Elite. I think the MV6 was the top range in continental Europe. I could swear I have seen MV6 with full leather interiors for sale here.

But if the reason for doing away with the self leveling system was cost or weight, it would be interesting to know what effect it would have on the MV6 suspension if put back on. If a positive or negative effect. Or if maybe no difference. Anybody with an Elite here who has upgraded to MV6 springs and dampers and not taken the self leveling system off? :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile

Thanks for the input. And I guess the MV6 just doesn't go fast enough to have the same problem, so they deleted the self leveling function for the sports suspension for some reason?

Just to pick up on this, the Elite's self levelling system does have a vehicle speed input, so it's not impossible that it is adaptive to high speed driving but, of course, the MV6 doesn't have the self levelling at all and the Elite suspension is a bit wallowy, IMHO.
Slightly off topic, but just add the Self Levelling on the stronger Police Supension setup on the Estates works well, even at speed, and either loaded or unloaded in the back.  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile

I see. So the MV6 was not the top of the range? I always thought the MV6 had all the Elite had but just more sporty.

I'm not sure in Germany they had the Elite. I think the MV6 was the top range in continental Europe. I could swear I have seen MV6 with full leather interiors for sale here.

But if the reason for doing away with the self leveling system was cost or weight, it would be interesting to know what effect it would have on the MV6 suspension if put back on. If a positive or negative effect. Or if maybe no difference. Anybody with an Elite here who has upgraded to MV6 springs and dampers and not taken the self leveling system off? :)

As posted a few posts ago -

Just to complicate it, the MV6 in the UK were the Sports spec, in Opel land, depending from which Country the MV6's were not all the same spec, in fact some of our Elites spec were called Opel MV6.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2016, 15:38:15 by zirk »

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Slightly off topic, but just add the Self Levelling on the stronger Police Supension setup on the Estates works well, even at speed, and either loaded or unloaded in the back.  :y

What is the difference between the stronger Police Suspension and the stock and MV6 suspensions? Thanks.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

Also, that Cesattoo edition thing, well, those are just standard photos of the 'Irmscher' bodykit on the Omega. I've got several brochures similar with those exact same shots, just without any of this Jonny bloke. I'm assuming what's happened is he's done rather well that year in the DTM, so they named a special edition after him. I could list various times Vauxhall have done something similar. So don't worry too much about finding this specific 'edition', just find a bodykit, in whatever condition, either attached to a car or not.  :)

Oh, and as said elsewhere, what was badged as 'MV6' in Europe was what we call the 'Elite' in the UK. I think the 'MV6' as we call; it was badged 'Sport' by Opel. Not helped by the fact that on the FL, Vauxhall also introduced the trim level 'Sport' - no idea if Opel had their own version of this model or not.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile

As posted a few posts ago -

Just to complicate it, the MV6 in the UK were the Sports spec, in Opel land, depending from which Country the MV6's were not all the same spec, in fact some of our Elites spec were called Opel MV6.

And just to add a bit more confusing info, in the UK, the original MV6 was Police Spec and named on the Log Book as MV6, although not badged as so on the car, wasn't till around 98 that the MV6 was introduced as Factory option on the MiniFace and Facelifts.

The Police versions were still called MV6's, untill the 3.2 were introduced in 2001, the were then renamed as Omega Specials.  ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

What is the difference between the stronger Police Suspension and the stock and MV6 suspensions? Thanks.

you've just said it - it's stronger. I don't think it's lower, just heavier-duty for the extra kgs that the Police cars weigh. I suppose on another Omega this may make it ride fractionally higher, actually. But that's a nitpick. It's heavier duty springs - thought someone who has owned standard LSC cars (the 'proper' name for the sports springs LSC = Lowered Sports Chassis) and Police vehicles would have to have measured/compared whether there's a ride height difference, too.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile

Also very nice, interesting bit of info from Zirk, didn't know that  :y

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile

Stronger Heavy Duty and stiffer over normal, you could through them around quiet happily, ride height about the same as stock, handling wise very similar drive to the Factory spec MV6.

Police Estate came with Self leveling Police Saloons didn't, most Police had LSD Diffs fitted, again the Police suspension was well suited to that, stopped the rear diff from potentially oscillating when the LSD kicked in, as can happen with softer suspension.   

Omega VT3000

• Essex
    • View Profile

The Steinmetz kit was available in the UK through Rossiters (a non-GM garage). This was the only thing you could get other than wheels.

The supercharger upgrade was only for Europe on left hand drive cars.

anV6

• Intermediate Member
    • Opel
    • View Profile

Also, that Cesattoo edition thing, well, those are just standard photos of the 'Irmscher' bodykit on the Omega. I've got several brochures similar with those exact same shots, just without any of this Jonny bloke. I'm assuming what's happened is he's done rather well that year in the DTM, so they named a special edition after him. I could list various times Vauxhall have done something similar. So don't worry too much about finding this specific 'edition', just find a bodykit, in whatever condition, either attached to a car or not.  :)

Oh, and as said elsewhere, what was badged as 'MV6' in Europe was what we call the 'Elite' in the UK. I think the 'MV6' as we call; it was badged 'Sport' by Opel. Not helped by the fact that on the FL, Vauxhall also introduced the trim level 'Sport' - no idea if Opel had their own version of this model or not.  :y

Oh, I don't fancy an Irmscher body kit. Without the performance improvements to back them up, body kits are a no go for me. ;)

So I'm not looking for a Johnny version at all. I just did research on it to find out if there were any engine improvements. Since there wasn't, I don't want one really.

So the European MV6 doesn't have the sports suspension? This is so confusing. I'm starting to think I should just get the best car I can find with the best condition and lowest mileage and the features I want ( I really want full leather for example) and not worry what it is called. :-\
Since it's an older car and I will probably replace bushings and dampers when I buy it, I might as well replace the springs with MV6-like ones such as the Eibach. So I don't have to worry about what trim the car is. This is the only performance difference right? The suspension?
By the way I just found out that the MV6 in Europe was only B1. B2 the MV6 trim was dropped and it became the Executive.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2016, 16:19:51 by anV6 »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.