Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Car not starting. Fuel pump only getting 9.5v on crank nover  (Read 11498 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Car not starting. Fuel pump only getting 9.5v on crank nover
« Reply #75 on: 04 July 2017, 08:00:50 »

Congratulations! So it turned out to be a poor conection at the ECU multi-pin connector. I suppose we should expect dodgy connections on 15 year old cars, the tricky thing is locating and correcting them. Another Omega lives to fight another day. Well done the forum too.

berserkerboy

• Intermediate Member
  • Llansadwrn, Carmarthenshire SA19
    • 3.2 V6 Elite 02 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 04 July 2017, 08:10:07 »

Hopefully, when someone has a similar problem they'll read this post. The easiest fix possible. 8)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 04 July 2017, 17:09:21 »

Secondly, and I think this was the problem. The purple relay control is straight from the ECU. I unclipped the looms from the ECU and sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner. Put it back together.

Car is now behaving perfectly......I am so happy!!!! :D

So it looks like the one persistent error code, P0650, was signalling an ECU fault albeit just the ECU contacts.  Glad to hear the error codes can be helpful. :y 

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 04 July 2017, 19:18:10 »

I don't understand how a faulty ECU signal to a relay can result in omly 9.5 volts being delivered to the fuel pump.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 04 July 2017, 19:21:33 »

I don't understand how a faulty ECU signal to a relay can result in omly 9.5 volts being delivered to the fuel pump.
My understanding is the 9.5V measurement was when the engine was cranking over,  ;) if not I dont think I going to read it over again.  ::)

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 04 July 2017, 19:31:44 »

.    hi terry. it looks like the ecu bad connection wasnt switching the fuel pump relay on.the voltage measured at the fuel pump would just be the normal cranking voltage ( possibly a bit low due to cable volt drop and that the battery wasnt totally charged up.i see what you mean thou. he was measuring 9.5v at the pump but it still didnt run.hopefully its solved now ?.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 04 July 2017, 20:15:43 »

I'm wondering if this could be the cause of Tony h's mystery non starting, tried bloody everything to no avail. I'll give him a nudge in case he hasn't scrapped the bugger
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 04 July 2017, 20:21:00 »

My understanding is the 9.5V measurement was when the engine was cranking over,  ;) if not I dont think I going to read it over again.  ::)
That would explain it. Measurement with engine running would clarify things.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 04 July 2017, 21:01:47 »

Secondly, and I think this was the problem. The purple relay control is straight from the ECU. I unclipped the looms from the ECU and sprayed the contacts with contact cleaner. Put it back together.

So it looks like the one persistent error code, P0650, was signalling an ECU fault albeit just the ECU contacts.  Glad to hear the error codes can be helpful. :y
*sigh*. I give up with you.

For others reading this, that advice is incorrect and misplaced. Beware.
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 04 July 2017, 21:33:02 »

*sigh*. I give up with you.

For others reading this, that advice is incorrect and misplaced. Beware.

oh dear ::).  the word you are looking for I think is dangleberries and that is what you have written. 

re-read the thread, OP got one error code that was persistent, namely P0650.  then read this  https://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10694  ('PCM' in the link means 'Powertrain Control Module', i.e. ECU)

or this https://www.obd-codes.com/p0650: etc... etc...

alternatively start pulling plugs and pouring oil into the cylinders ;D
« Last Edit: 04 July 2017, 21:36:05 by migmog »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 04 July 2017, 22:25:27 »

That was actually a tried and tested process to eliminate bore wash as a reason for non starting... but hey, wtf does anyone else know :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 05 July 2017, 17:49:21 »

re-read the thread, OP got one error code that was persistent, namely P0650.  then read this  https://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10694  ('PCM' in the link means 'Powertrain Control Module', i.e. ECU)

As said earlier in this thread, follow the manufacturer specific descriptions, not some random generic set.  Did you bother looking at a manufacturer specific list? Or follow any diagnostic flows?  No, you just jumped in with a ludicrous "change the ECU", which is the only 'dangle berries' on this thread.

100m sperm, and that was the fastest? *

The OP did the right thing, and worked it through with a meter :y.

OP - if cleaning or playing with connector has cured more than one unrelated fault, consider checking the state of the loom inside the plug, as on 3.2s (no idea why they seem more prone), we have started to see a few problems with loom breaking down.

What state was the plug in, and if the connectors looked corroded, is the seal still good?

* Admins - I expect a significant ban for that, but it had to be said, the guy is giving out so much random crap over so many threads, probably to feed his own arrogant ego.  I'm worried people might actually one day do what he suggests.
Grumpy old man

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 05 July 2017, 21:41:06 »

As said earlier in this thread, follow the manufacturer specific descriptions, not some random generic set.  Did you bother looking at a manufacturer specific list? Or follow any diagnostic flows?  No, you just jumped in with a ludicrous "change the ECU", which is the only 'dangle berries' on this thread.

OP - if cleaning or playing with connector has cured more than one unrelated fault, consider checking the state of the loom inside the plug, as on 3.2s (no idea why they seem more prone), we have started to see a few problems with loom breaking down.

What state was the plug in, and if the connectors looked corroded, is the seal still good?

* Admins - I expect a significant ban for that, but it had to be said, the guy is giving out so much random crap over so many threads, probably to feed his own arrogant ego.  I'm worried people might actually one day do what he suggests.

anyone reading this thread will observe
1) the fault was the ECU contacts
2) the only error code that persisted indicated an issue with the ECU
3) your petty abuse reveals more about you that about me

maybe you should get back to bending your pollen filters ;D

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 06 July 2017, 17:42:12 »

anyone reading this thread will observe I play with my self.....

Fixed.....I might get a ban for that too .....

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 06 July 2017, 18:56:23 »

anyone reading this thread will observe
1) the fault was the ECU contacts
2) the only error code that persisted indicated an issue with the ECU
3) your petty abuse reveals more about you that about me

maybe you should get back to bending your pollen filters ;D

Fixed.....I might get a ban for that too .....
is this how it works now, put up some childish abuse followed by 'i expect a ban' and nothing happens? no wonder new people don't post much or stay long. :(
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.