Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: blue dashboard bulbs?  (Read 4504 times)

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
  • Don't fart on the leather upholstery!
    • View Profile
blue dashboard bulbs?
« on: 30 April 2008, 13:29:07 »

Hey guys,

I noticed this morning that the light bulb that goes behind the water temperature meter and the rev counter has blown.

If im going to go to all the bother taking the dash to bits (I've read the dashboard howto and it looks too easy to be true lol) I might as well do what I've been wanting to for a while and replace all the bulbs with nice pretty blue ones.

Has anyone else done this already? If so can you please recommend where I can get the bulbs and what type of bulb they are?

cheers!

Ben
If at first you dont succeed, Rev it harder!

cbs2

• Intermediate Member
  • East Kilbride
  • Right....Fire Up The Quattro!!!
    • View Profile
Re: blue dashboard bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2008, 14:32:33 »

Have a search on ebay for aceparts
They do an omega kit
Costs a bit more, about 20 quid, but thats the complete set for your dials & heater controls & stereo display.
They are the only ones I've seen that the stereo display is visibe in the daylight
Taking part in the 2010 sucata split charity banger run. www.sucatasplit.com
www.boozebrothers2010.co.uk
Ex-mig owner................For now

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2008, 14:34:36 »

Got blue led's on my car mate ,and they look great at night, i got mine from a guy on ebay, but had a problem with the bulbs behind the heater controls, everytime i put a led in to the centre holder all the other dash lights went out untill i removed the led and switched the ign on and off . I had to find a diff led to make them work. other than that easy enough. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2008, 19:03:19 »

Matter of taste.  But I detest this fascination with gay blue leds...

Omega wasn't designed to be illuminated with LEDs, so there are issues.

All gay blue LEDs are ultrabrights. This makes the indicators on the switches (above radio, window switches, etc) distractingly bright.  May be able to tone down slightly via resistors.  Also, gay blue LEDs have a very narrow angle, which means the light guides for illuminating controls (climate, backlightinging for switches, etc) doesn't really work.  Lastly, gay blue LEDs are not so easy to control output, so often you'll find MID/Climate etc unreadable in the day, and too bright at night.

Then you have to start desoldering cliamte panels to fit blue instead of amber for the selected function etc.
Grumpy old man

HolyCount

« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2008, 19:25:26 »

All gay blue LEDs are ultrabrights. This makes the indicators on the switches (above radio, window switches, etc) distractingly bright.  May be able to tone down slightly via resistors.  Also, gay blue LEDs have a very narrow angle, which means the light guides for illuminating controls (climate, backlightinging for switches, etc) doesn't really work.  Lastly, gay blue LEDs are not so easy to control output, so often you'll find MID/Climate etc unreadable in the day, and too bright at night.

Then you have to start desoldering cliamte panels to fit blue instead of amber for the selected function etc.

So --- you don't like them then ?????? :)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2008, 19:31:46 »

Lol !!  Gay Blue !!

Methinks there is a deeper issue here . . . . .   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2008, 19:40:25 »

Every rather device has them on  >:( - its like driving a BMW or having an iPod, so rather gay and so rather pointless.  Rant over, I'm calm.....
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 April 2008, 19:41:48 »

Lol !!  Gay Blue !!

Methinks there is a deeper issue here . . . . .   ;D ;D ;D ;D
lol, one of my friends is that way inclined. He likes blue leds on everything - he says they are sweet....   ....'nuff said really...
Grumpy old man

amigov6

« Reply #8 on: 30 April 2008, 21:07:45 »

Every rather device has them on  >:( - its like driving a BMW or having an iPod, so rather gay and so rather pointless.  Rant over, I'm calm.....
Not fussed myself but mines got too mugh cream & wood now the centre panel's fitted, do'nt think the blue would go so i aint gonna bovver!
     Nice to know i'm not the only one prone to the "odd outburst"!!! :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 April 2008, 21:11:09 »

Nice to know i'm not the only one prone to the "odd outburst"!!! :D
A little outburst helps keep the blood pressure under control ;)
Grumpy old man

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
  • Don't fart on the leather upholstery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2008, 13:34:13 »

heh nice posts guys lol

I redid the entirety of my first car (hyundai lantra) with shiny blue & silver bits on the interior. I thought it looked great as did many of my mates. Did get a surprising high number of 'gay' comments tho. I guess blue LEDs are the new 'salmon pink' shirts eh?

Im not concerned about people thinking things look gay... anyone who knows me knows im straight lol so why worry?

btw thanks cbs2 for your helpful response :D lol
If at first you dont succeed, Rev it harder!

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2008, 13:43:04 »

[off topic warning]

Since when has blue been a merry colour ???

Gay
noun, adverb
–adjective
1.      having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2.      bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.

Synonyms 1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment.

just thought I'd ask .......   ;D ;D ;D ;D

[/off topic warning]
« Last Edit: 01 May 2008, 13:45:18 by entwood »

Debs.

« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2008, 14:57:13 »

[off topic warning]

Since when has blue been a merry colour ???

Gay

noun, adverb
–adjective
1.      having or showing a merry, lively mood: gay spirits; gay music.
2.      bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments.

Synonyms 1. gleeful, jovial, glad, joyous, happy, cheerful, sprightly, blithe, airy, light-hearted; vivacious, frolicsome, sportive, hilarious. Gay, jolly, joyful, merry describe a happy or light-hearted mood. Gay suggests a lightness of heart or liveliness of mood that is openly manifested: when hearts were young and gay. Jolly indicates a good-humored, natural, expansive gaiety of mood or disposition: a jolly crowd at a party. Joyful suggests gladness, happiness, rejoicing: joyful over the good news. Merry is often interchangeable with gay: a merry disposition; a merry party; it suggests, even more than the latter, convivial animated enjoyment.

just thought I'd ask .......   ;D ;D ;D ;D

[/off topic warning]

Nought new in 'Gay'; `takes me back to prep-school philosophy lessons and having to discuss Nietzsche [size=9] (Die fröhliche Wissenschaft/The Gay Science, 1882)[/size]....no fits of classroom giggles allowed in those days: 'Gay' was just a happy attitude!  ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gay_Science  ;)

albitz

« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2008, 15:05:36 »

it must have been victim to a thread hijacking type of occurence at some point . ;)
« Last Edit: 01 May 2008, 15:06:00 by albitz »

Bacon Butty Man

• Cleveleys Nr Blackpool
  • now own a Laguna 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2008, 15:07:30 »

i must agree, while py old passat had blue illumination i have seen an omega with blue led and it looked pants, the vw display is designed to accomodate the blueness, but the mig isnt, i like the migs display as its is.tastfull and classy :y :y :y

my Rover 75 Club SE
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.