Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Variable Windscreen Wipers  (Read 1591 times)

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
Variable Windscreen Wipers
« on: 26 October 2009, 18:07:10 »

Hi all, I was fortunate to have a 2.5CD as a new company car back in 2000. When I had it, I remember it having the variable wiper control on the wiper stalk (a little wheel thing). The only options I specified on that car were the auto box and metallic paint, so I figured it was a standard feature. I now have a 2002 2.6 CD, and it does not have the variable wiper control. My last car had it, and I quite like it - so I guess my questions to you guys & gals are:
1) Were variable wipers standard fitment on a CD in 2000, but not in 2002, or was I just lucky?  :)
2) If I want to retrofit, is it just a case of me getting a new stalk from the scrappies and installing it, or do I have to add or change a relay, or does anything need reprogramming?  :-?
3) If I need a new relay, does anyone know which one?  :y
4) Do any of you have the bits lying about that you'd be willing to part with if I cross your palm with silver?  ;)
Thanks in advance!  :y
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

Welung666

Re: Variable Windscreen Wipers
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2009, 05:47:15 »

You'll need the stalk and the 4 pin plug out of the donor car. How2 is in the maintenance guides :y

I_want_an_Omega

« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2009, 16:14:47 »

Thats interesting, my '98 -facelift has it, why would they have taken it off?

Probably some strange marketing decision. When Vx fitted the driver airbag as standard on the Cavalier they removed stuff, e.g, on the CD they removed the headlight wipers and underbonnet lamp! Go figure ,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: 27 October 2009, 16:15:13 by I_want_an_Omega »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2009, 17:28:41 »

Thats interesting, my '98 -facelift has it, why would they have taken it off?

....... quote]

How about so they could sell the auto wipers option?  :-/ :-/ ;D ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2009, 17:50:24 »

As AndyB says it was taken off due to auto wipers, i find the manual variable control excellent, if i got a later Omega i would have to retro fit it

Rockhampton

• Intermediate Member
  • Trecelyn, Gwent
  • Gone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2009, 18:16:10 »

As AndyB says it was taken off due to auto wipers, i find the manual variable control excellent, if i got a later Omega i would have to retro fit it

That would make sense.... take it off so they could hawk the auto option.... :-?
Managed to find someone selling a spare stalk now, so hopefully I'll be up & running soon... (postal strike permitting >:( )
Thanks all for your responses :y
Previous GM Models include '00 Omega 2.5 CD Auto, '06 Holden Commodore Executive 3.6 Auto, '99 Astra 1.8 CDX Auto, several Astra Diesels.

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2009, 18:27:33 »

I just got a variable speed stalk but it seems to have a different MID plug - also which is the relay on a 2.2dti.

I cannot find the how to in maintenance - anyone got any info or instructions

Omega3

• Hertfordshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 November 2009, 18:36:48 »

I just got a variable speed stalk but it seems to have a different MID plug - also which is the relay on a 2.2dti.

I cannot find the how to in maintenance - anyone got any info or instructions
I too got the stalk to discover that the MID plug was a different type. Also the MID buttons are different from my current stalk (2.2) but the same configuration as the stalk on my previous 2001 car. i.e buttons top and bottom instead of front and back as on the current stalk.
Maybe we should have bought a new spec stalk from main stealer, if such a thing exists for the later cars.
Previously: Mercedes CLK 320cdi, Insignia SRi, 53 Omega 2.2CD, 02 3.2 elite, 01 Omega 2.2CD, 94 Omega 2.0 Est, Mercedes 300TE, Toyota Supra 3.0, Honda Legend Coupe, Supra 2.8i Mk2, Fiat X1/9, Lancia Trevi

dpanic88

• West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 November 2009, 19:10:51 »

hi, have a look at this - should be what you are after http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1225410105/25#25

remember to disconnect the battery ;)

regards - rob

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2009, 14:56:07 »

Just done the mod on my CDX - thanks to Mike for his e-mails the pictures were invaluable.

Just to clarify for anyone wanting to do this upgrade you have to change the MID plugs over for facelift models.   Then on the top left connection on the main socket you cut the blk/yel cable and join one end of it to the blk/yel removed from the old MID socket on the stalk and the other to the blk/wht left over from the MID socket on the stalk.   Hey presto variable speed intermittant wipers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.