Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Size of 6x9's  (Read 4590 times)

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
Size of 6x9's
« on: 16 November 2010, 16:36:33 »

Hi,

I am planning to fit some 6x9's to my Saloon Omega.
However, I will need to widen the 'hole' where the original Bose 6x9's sat.

Does anyone know where I can get another Parcel shelf from?
(Mine also has the Blind).
So I Can restore everything back when it comes to sell the car?

I have searched in most places, however they only have the standard shelf that has no Blind or 6x9 cuts outs.

Raj

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: Size of 6x9's
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2010, 16:56:20 »

Don`t cut any of the metalwork part of the rear shelf - its structurally integral to the vehicle, and any holes should not be made bigger.

Apart from that, 6x9`s are often terrible at sound reproduction compared to round speakers, so why not install something more conventional THAT FITS !!

:-?
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2010, 17:03:29 »

I been reading reviews for the Vibe QB69 6x9's.
Everyone agrees they are one of the best speakers for the price and that with them you do not need a separate sub woofer as the bass produced is awsome.

The other option is getting some standard 6x9's and installing them - which is probably the route I will have to go down.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2010, 17:30:49 »

I been reading reviews for the Vibe QB69 6x9's.
Everyone agrees they are one of the best speakers for the price and that with them you do not need a separate sub woofer as the bass produced is awsome.

The other option is getting some standard 6x9's and installing them - which is probably the route I will have to go down.

You are missing the point -

Why are you trying to fit 6x9`s ?

that is NOT what is currently fitted !
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2010, 20:40:06 »

As said on another thread, and as repeated by Dave DND, no Omega ever, ever had 6x9s fitted as standard.
Grumpy old man

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 November 2010, 09:17:12 »

My bad,

I thought the Bose shelf speakers where 6x9's.
(Probably due to the rectangle facia put on them)

So if i wanted to replace them what size round speakers would I replace them with?

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #6 on: 17 November 2010, 10:45:05 »

My bad,

I thought the Bose shelf speakers where 6x9's.
(Probably due to the rectangle facia put on them)

So if i wanted to replace them what size round speakers would I replace them with?

We are all waiting for you to tell us . . .

You were writing a guide about BOSE replacement, remember ?

Suggest to get a tape measure on them

;)
www.dndservices.co.uk

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 November 2010, 12:52:54 »

Lately I've been working away from home for 6 days of the week.
So I have very limited time to spend doing the things I would like.

Just thought it would have been faster and easier if someone already knew.

Or am I missing the point of a forum?
If everybody just did things for them selves, and found out information for themselves, then there would be no information sharing.
The forum would no longer be a 'discussion', more of a collection of 'How To' guides only.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 17 November 2010, 16:15:04 »

The problem is that playing with BOSE is really opening a can of worms, and if you read back over the countless articles over the years, you will find every aspect of this covered in absolute detail - virtually everything has been tried, and a full solution has yet to be arrived at.

Bypassing the BOSE amp in the kickwell is a very easy, tried and tested modification using a plug from a  breakers (so I am led to believe) yet you seem to completely disregard this and give a very long winded explanation of how it should be done instead - not sure its the best way, however, thats your perogative. However, you did miss out the blatantly obvious bit of needing to replace the apeakers with what was written.

It would also appear that you are asking multiple questions with regards to the same subject, and unfortunately, people tend to switch off at that point.

Keep the questions in one place, and you only need to ask once, and that way people will try to help.

I agree that a forum is a place for sharing information, but your earlier posts seem to suggest not only a different way of doing things, 6x9`s on the shelf, and the willingness to formulate some sort of BOSE guide, so in fairness, we have all taken you to be an expert, and are waiting to see what you come up with that is different to what has already been written.

I don`t mean to have a dig at you, I, like others are willing to assist where we can, but you really need to read back a bit over the forum so that you can catch up with the rest of us, and only then can we all work together to find a solution to a very irritating problem.

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 November 2010, 20:44:09 »

I have it in my head for some reason they are 9s.  But dont quote me.

I still think you need to decide and document what you are trying to achieve, as this piecemeal stuff seems to be causing you issues - eg, cutting the loom about, now you have to revert those hacks to get an amp in the boot. And it sounds like you are going to some effort/cost for decent sound, then choose to fit a Sony head unit...

Take a step back for a mo, and try to think about it as a whole - we have some talented people willing to offer advice, but only if they have the full story :y
Grumpy old man

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 November 2010, 13:23:21 »

What is wrong with Sony headunits?
I've just them for years and for the price and specifications I think they are good.
Before buying the one I have (Sony DSX-S300BTX) I did quite a lot of research - it needed bluetooth, USB, high power out put etc. and after reading many reviews this came out on top for around £150 (ebay).

Anyway going back to the door speakers for the omega, Now that I've disconnected the Bose system (I didn't just hack the wires, I used connectors, which will allow the Bose setup to be put back in with ease) the front and rear door speakers now work.
People say that the sound would be horrible etc, but I've found no difference between its sound and the sound produced by a non Bose car.
I plan to replace these speakers anyway, but I was just wondering, could it be that the Headunit is making the speakers sound better in someway?
And are the bottom door speakers and tweeters Bose also? or can I just replace the bottom door speakers and leave the tweeters in?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 November 2010, 13:34:33 »

I is confused ....  (not difficult I know ...)

You ask for advice ... it is freely given and you choose to ignore and "do your own thing" ... not a problem with that .. your car, your choice..... then you ask further advice on how to get "your choice" to work !!!

IMHO ... either "do it your way" or follow the advice given .... mixing and matching the two just confuses everyone !!

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 November 2010, 13:48:45 »

Seems like everyone slates Sony headunits - I was just putting my point across that in my opinion and experience they are OK.
Just in the same way that people express their opinions as soon as someone mentions 'Sony Headunit' and how rubbish they are.

People say that the speakers should not work well - but in my case they do.
I was just curious to why they were working fine even at medium to high volume.
(That's why I was saying maybe the headunit is doing something to make them sound ok).

My question was down to which speakers where Bose compatible only - therefore needing replacement. Namely - if I swap the lower speakers with new ones, can i still keep the tweeters in place? or do they need to be swapped also.

Where was the confusion?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 November 2010, 13:55:44 »

Do not continue to use the Bose speakers with a Sony head unit. They are 2 ohm speakers and will destroy the amps in the head unit.

You say you plan to change the door speakers - so finish the job. :y

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2010, 14:18:41 »

Cool thanks.
I will change all speakers including the tweeters then.

Raj
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 17 queries.