Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xenon bulbs/ LCD Dasboard - Advice Please.  (Read 2130 times)

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
Xenon bulbs/ LCD Dasboard - Advice Please.
« on: 03 October 2006, 14:44:36 »

Have been looking at all these customised omegas of late (gallery) and they look brilliant, unfortunately my wallet will not allow me for some time. :(

I however am considering the following and would like any views - Maybe you have replaced the same any advice will be most appreciated :-

2003 Omega

1. I have the xenon type blue tint Main headlight bulbs fitted as standard,

Can I also replace the sidelights to the same and are they legal?

2. I have seen a few advertisements regarding LCD Blue Dash kits -Transforming the original orange to blue including the centre console (I do like the look of them).

Has anybody done this or have any opinions?

Many thanks
Dave.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2006, 14:45:53 by egcc »
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
Re: Xenon bulbs/ LCD Dasboard - Advice Please.
« Reply #1 on: 03 October 2006, 15:28:16 »

I've considered both of those myself.

I've seen two types of sidelight bulbs on fleabay - one being a "xenon" one which is a normal filament bulb, filled with xenon gas and given a blue coating on the outside which makes the light look blue, similar to the dipped beam. The other is a white / xenon coloured LED with built-in ballast resistor, simply swap with the original bulb (may have to rotate once as they are polarity sensitive), the advantage with those being they'll probably outlast the car!

I believe both of these bulbs would be legal.

Blue dash ... well the problem with this is that bulbs give out light at a far wider angle than LEDs do, when I fitted some to another car it didn't light up all of the dash as brightly as the original bulbs ... so I haven't bothered fitting any to the omega. Maybe someone on here has bought one of the "kits" on fleabay and can pass judgement on those?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 October 2006, 16:25:58 »

I fitted a set to the dash and MID on Laidback66's other halfs MV6 and they were not bad.

The climate ones are woeful though, two of the bulbs on these illuminate light pipes for the switches and rely on the light being emmitted from the side of the bulb into the light guide.....

Plus the ebay kits dont have enough bits to fit the Omega, it seems the sellers overlook the fact that most Omegas have 4 bulbs in the MID!
« Last Edit: 03 October 2006, 16:45:55 by admin »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 October 2006, 16:47:43 »

As Mark says. Kits don't come with enough bulbs in!  >:(

Personally I prefer the standard bulbs in there, but the leds are effective (and silly expensive for what they are).

The Administrator.

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 October 2006, 16:56:43 »

I think I'll just swap the side light bulbs for now..(not sure if it's worth the hassle touching the dash) just bought some side light bulbs  (prism make -unsure if they are a descent bulb cost £10 a pair) with 4 x LED should be alright, fingers crossed... the bigger problem is finding a hand small enough to remove the existing.... not a lot of space there  lol.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2006, 17:07:13 by egcc »
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 October 2006, 17:16:00 »

I think I'll just swap the side light bulbs for now..(not sure if it's worth the hassle touching the dash) just bought some side light bulbs  (prism make -unsure if they are a descent bulb cost £10 a pair) with 4 x LED should be alright, fingers crossed... the bigger problem is finding a hand small enough to remove the existing.... not a lot of space there  lol.

just read the back of the packaging and it states for off road use only :-/  unsure now but am offered a refund.

see here http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product_detail.asp?prod=668
« Last Edit: 03 October 2006, 17:34:11 by egcc »

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 October 2006, 17:46:37 »

the blue filament bulbs are here - it says the filmament is heavy duty so the bulbs come with a lifetime guarantee?

the LED versions are here (quad LED) - or here (single LED) - just specify "xenon white" in both cases ...
« Last Edit: 03 October 2006, 17:47:46 by sounds2k »

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2006, 17:56:16 »

If on the back of the packaging it states for off road use only, will the same bulbs fail a MOT ?

I have emailed Ring automotive will keep you updated.

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2006, 18:03:43 »

I'd have thought so. It would appear that the only legal sidelight colour is white (perhaps you'd get away with xenon white) - but I'm guessing that blue or any other colour would be a no-no.

When's your next MOT due then, you can let us know if it fails on the sidelight colour  ;)

Rob.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2006, 20:25:51 »

If on the back of the packaging it states for off road use only, will the same bulbs fail a MOT ?

I have emailed Ring automotive will keep you updated.

I would have thought that providing the light emitted is White with a Blue tint then it should be fine,

The "For off road use only" is mainly aimed at the Saxo's & Corsa pilots out there.

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2006, 20:57:28 »

I've just bought a pair of Pwer Plus +50% headlamp bulbs and got a second pair and a pair of sidelight bulbs free from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ . I've had the current ones in for a long while and thought I'd better change them while the battery and airbox are out.

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2006, 08:28:23 »

I have the blue LEDs in my car and I find in the summer you cant see the MID even when its not so sunny its difficult to see but it looks the dogs twitcher at night.
Retired

infinity1

• sunny south east
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2006, 09:29:33 »

I've just bought a pair of Pwer Plus +50% headlamp bulbs and got a second pair and a pair of sidelight bulbs free from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/ . I've had the current ones in for a long while and thought I'd better change them while the battery and airbox are out.
are they really that good?which ones would fit my pre facelift elite?they only list an omega 'a' upto year 1992,any ideas????? :-/
mechanics? not me at all mate...

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2006, 10:23:48 »

are they really that good?which ones would fit my pre facelift elite?they only list an omega 'a' upto year 1992,any ideas????? :-/

I've not tried them yet, the engine is still in pieces. My 1997 CD has H1 type bulbs for both dipped and main beam and they do H1, H4 and H7. I think some later cars used H7 somewhere.

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 October 2006, 15:34:29 »

I'd have thought so. It would appear that the only legal sidelight colour is white (perhaps you'd get away with xenon white) - but I'm guessing that blue or any other colour would be a no-no.

When's your next MOT due then, you can let us know if it fails on the sidelight colour  ;)

I've just  been round to my local MOT station with the bulbs  - the side light bulbs  are illegal. Got my £tenner back so more tinnies for me lol
« Last Edit: 04 October 2006, 15:35:07 by egcc »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.