Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap new laptop - Recomendations ?  (Read 4062 times)

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap new laptop - Recomendations ?
« Reply #15 on: 20 November 2006, 16:51:34 »

:o so what acer is best Bobs ebuyer or LSG`s Comet ?

Both media center XP bob's 2GHZ processor mine 1.6GHZ processor bobs 512MB of ram mine 1024MB of ram both 60GB hardrive bobs 14.1" screen mine 15.4" screen
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 November 2006, 16:51:55 »

Eww, wouldn't buy from Dell (myself personally).

The Acer notebook from Comet is the slightly better spec machine for the money. Has more RAM, and a bigger screen. The CPU i sn't quite as good, but the difference is very marginal.

I like how they knock a whole £4 off the in store price, so they can whack it back on for delivery!
« Last Edit: 20 November 2006, 16:53:39 by supermop »

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 November 2006, 16:53:49 »

Eww, wouldn't buy from Dell.

The Acer notebook from Comet is the slightly better spec machine for the money. Has more RAM, and a bigger screen. The CPU i sn't quite as good, but the difference is very marginal.

I like how they knock a whole £4 off the in store price, so they can whack it back on for delivery!

Thats what i said to my bro whats the point in 4 quid i went and got it for him :)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #18 on: 20 November 2006, 16:56:27 »

So for the limited use and for the spec and the fact its from a high street retailer ( should anything go wrong - he can go back to them) i might be as well going for the one in Comet?

Saves me waiting in all day for a delivery as well ( had to wait in all day for wifes new Nokia from my own company today  >:()

ANyone think this is a baaaaaaad idea?

by the way the Dell she saw was the inspirion 1501 60gb, sempron 3500 256 mb dram
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 20 November 2006, 16:56:59 »

Eww, wouldn't buy from Dell.

I have 4 Dell laptops here. One has packed up, just gotta strip it for spares before binning. 8 yrs old.  Got another with a noisy HDD otherwise excellent, about 6yrs old - still use this one for Tech2 stuff. Got a LS400, works fine, some of the plastics are broken - its been 'heavily used', batteries shot but otherwise fine, about 4yrs old. Lastly, a 2.2Ghz P4 one, used by Mrs TheBoy, excellent.

I would recommend Dell, certainly over Acer/Packard Bell/Compaq/Hp etc.

Personally, my main (home) laptop is a Tosh...
Grumpy old man

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #20 on: 20 November 2006, 16:59:14 »

;D confused .....you should be  ;)

so the acer in comet or this dell....

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&oc=N11155
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

supermop

• Hoddesdon
  • User account problem.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 November 2006, 17:01:03 »

Tosh eh... never heard of em :p

We use DELL at work, bloody things break all the time! Having said that, some of them have lasted a bloody long time. Main thing that gets me is their desktops.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 November 2006, 17:01:18 »

Have to say i do agree with supermop on this 1 i like DELL but do prefer acer and i wouldn't buy a DELL with my own money markiec though m8 it is your choice but i would go for the comet one i picked out cos my brother has 1 and it is really nice m8 :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 November 2006, 17:02:27 »

;D confused .....you should be  ;)

so the acer in comet or this dell....

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&oc=N11155
256Mb ain't enough to run XP now...

Inspiron 1300 is one in your price range - the one I said earlier. Bit chunky though...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 November 2006, 17:07:46 »

We use DELL at work, bloody things break all the time! Having said that, some of them have lasted a bloody long time. Main thing that gets me is their desktops.
We've found Dell to be some of the most reliable desktops and laptops out there. Servers aren't so reliable as HP/Compaq Proliant.

Certainly not seen many hardware failures with Optiplex desktops (odd drive problem), and problems with laptops seem to be due to heavy handling (ie, smashed screens, failed HDDs etc) usually given away by general state of laptop.
Grumpy old man

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 November 2006, 17:14:21 »

....The Dell ones are strong (unlike HP ones  :-[) ...

Tsss tsss tsss.... I am an HP reseller you know...  >:(

;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 November 2006, 17:18:01 »

We've found Dell to be some of the most reliable desktops and laptops out there. Servers aren't so reliable as HP/Compaq Proliant.

Certainly not seen many hardware failures with Optiplex desktops (odd drive problem), and problems with laptops seem to be due to heavy handling (ie, smashed screens, failed HDDs etc) usually given away by general state of laptop.

As supermop said, all our work PC's (desktops and laptops) are mostly Dell and in my experience with my desktop, it's been reliable but I do know we've had problems with some of them. However, the only thing I'll say about Dell is that their after sales service is bloody pitiful and you get never get hold of the right person to speak to when you try and phone them. We call them "Dell Boy" computers in the office :D
« Last Edit: 20 November 2006, 17:18:46 by bob.dent »
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 November 2006, 17:26:20 »

As supermop said, all our work PC's (desktops and laptops) are mostly Dell and in my experience with my desktop, it's been reliable but I do know we've had problems with some of them. However, the only thing I'll say about Dell is that their after sales service is bloody pitiful and you get never get hold of the right person to speak to when you try and phone them. We call them "Dell Boy" computers in the office :D
I have had to use their tech support on several occasions, and know their scripts well.   Like the time I smashed one to bits (fair play to it, it took a lot of hits before it went).  The 2 mouse buttons were hanging off. "Can you start it in Safe Mode?", which I duely did. "Is the fault still present?"  "Yes, I replied, the mouse buttons are still hanging off" I replied. "OK, we'll send and engr"...

However, I still think their tech support is one of the best out there.
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 November 2006, 17:27:20 »

Having worked for a company who are a dell service partner I had the role of installations engineer and to be honest over the four years I worked for them the dell systems had there faults but nothing major that couldn't be fixed. I never really came in contact with other makes so cant really compare.

And yes the after sales support isn't the best, but they always seemed ok for me once you got through to someone.

Just my tuppence worth :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 November 2006, 17:32:17 »

Having worked for a company who are a dell service partner I had the role of installations engineer and to be honest over the four years I worked for them the dell systems had there faults but nothing major that couldn't be fixed. I never really came in contact with other makes so cant really compare.

And yes the after sales support isn't the best, but they always seemed ok for me once you got through to someone.

Just my tuppence worth :)
Too be honest, if you are computer literate, you want purely hardware support.  If you're not computer literate, do you really think the spotty kid in Comet is going to help you with problems with your Acer?

Other problem with Comet/DSG etc is that they tend to refer you to manufacturer for support.  Then all of a sudden, you realise that Dell's support is one of the better ones...  :o
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.