Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.5td manual vs auto  (Read 1661 times)

age_of_generals

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
Omega 2.5td manual vs auto
« on: 15 March 2010, 23:11:08 »

HI everyone,

I've had a manual 2.5td straight six, loved the car, loved the engine even more anf have only ever driven manuals.  Have the opportunity to buy an auto 2.5td, so the question is what are they like in terms of driveability, and reliability compared to the manual, is it worth buying? or should i stick to manuals.

thanks

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 2.5td manual vs auto
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2010, 23:15:34 »

Here we go again, Manual over Auto................ ::) ::)
Auto myself...... :D :D

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
  • this is some MOT advisory list!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2010, 23:20:17 »

auto here as well, despite of numerous g/box episodes ive had ;) even though i think that the auto really needs chipping & an ar35 box to bring the best out of it :y

age_of_generals

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2010, 23:20:18 »

no, sorry, please don't get me wrong.  I simply want to know if they are more likely to go wrong or how drive etc? I know nothing about them, just want to know if there are any quirks or things to look out for etc etc

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2010, 23:26:09 »

I've had both auto and manual Omega's, have two manual and one auto currently.
If you put personal preference aside;
Auto's use more fuel and are slower.
Auto's at some stage will need new ATF fluid, a looked after auto gbox will go forever.
But in terms of reliability, manual's are more reliable, there are much fewer things to go wrong...basically just the clutch typically.
As for driveability, an auto would require less affort in town driving. But the rest is difficult to answer impartially, it's personal preference. I prefer manual's for numerous reasons, you may get the auto and think...yep, I love it...or no, I hate it.
So a condensed wuick answer, manuals are more reliable...but if the gbox was looked after on an auto it's fine.

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2010, 23:27:17 »

you might want to look at mileage due to the ar25 auto box not being that tough, i think i read somewhere on here that a ballpark figure of 120,000 miles is around the average for these boxes. :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 March 2010, 23:28:43 »

no, sorry, please don't get me wrong.  I simply want to know if they are more likely to go wrong or how drive etc? I know nothing about them, just want to know if there are any quirks or things to look out for etc etc

I have had a range of Auto's, 3 currently, and no problems. I think the problems come when engines are chipped and the gearbox can't cope. Nothing new as this was a problem with the Rover P6, tuned not chipped..... ::) ::)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 March 2010, 23:29:26 »

The ONLY quirk is the autobox is tricky to top up/service .. as GM decided they were "sealed for life" .. its do-able .. but messy.

Advantages ..  comfortable, refined, always in the right gear, less stress, no clutch to worry about slip or replace, when you want to "play" hit the sports button, or drive like a clutchless manual on the gearshift.

Disadvantages ....  nope .. can't think of any right now ..

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

unlucky alf

• Omega Baron
  • worksop, notts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2010, 23:36:42 »

going on lowygsi`s problem of the flywheel on a manual & the price of it im quite happy to change an auto box (well sort of) ::) as its cheaper.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 March 2010, 08:28:47 »

The TD does have a habit of destroying autoboxes at around 120-150k.  Any performance mods will destroy it much sooner - a member here didn't manage 100 miles.

I like autos. Both my cars are autos.  However, in the case of the TD, I do think the manual is better suited/driveable to the way the engine delivers its power.  Even more so when chipped.
Grumpy old man

Psychoca

• Norfolk
    • Beaten up Mondeo TDCI ST.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 March 2010, 08:30:07 »

I prefer manuals..  I have driven automatics and I have seen some benefits of automatics, and stripping half an engine and climbing on top of the engine to remove bolts in order to do a clutch change certainly isn't my idea of fun...

But, I have found that everytime I just start to relax driving an automatic, I go to slow down, and panic when I can't fid the clutch and normally end up slammig the brakes on!!!

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 March 2010, 10:46:57 »

The TD does have a habit of destroying autoboxes at around 120-150k.  Any performance mods will destroy it much sooner - a member here didn't manage 100 miles.

I like autos. Both my cars are autos.  However, in the case of the TD, I do think the manual is better suited/driveable to the way the engine delivers its power.  Even more so when chipped.

For TDs, manual transmission is far superior IMHO.
The autos tend to be suggards, with poor fuel economy.

A chipped TD with manual box is definately the way to go IME. :y
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

Foxycav

• Liverpool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 March 2010, 10:52:33 »

ive always drove manuals and hated auto g/boxes with a passion. (after driving my uncles mondeo)
swore id never actually own an auto and when looking for an Omega initially only looked at manual. Someone in the know told me to not judge them and id be surprised. Well i AM, i love it, enjoy driving it, its such a pleasure to drive and i get out after long journeys and dont feel exhausted :y
I cant say theres anything i actually dislike about it tbh. Only thing ive found is when slowing down i keep going to change down gears with my left foot lol

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 March 2010, 10:55:59 »

...... Only thing ive found is when slowing down i keep going to change down gears with my left foot lol

Eventually you stop doing it. Then you start to use 2 feet.  :y

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 March 2010, 11:25:50 »

If going for a TD I would go manual. You won't have to worry about having an AR35 box sat around for when the existing gearbox packs up.
Retired

hoofing it

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 March 2010, 19:04:57 »

you might want to look at mileage due to the ar25 auto box not being that tough, i think i read somewhere on here that a ballpark figure of 120,000 miles is around the average for these boxes :y
:o :o mines is touching 180,000 :o :y
« Last Edit: 16 March 2010, 19:06:10 by hoof »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 March 2010, 20:18:31 »

owned both manuals and auto td,s have to say all round the manual wipes the floor with auto, including performance/economy/and maintenance!! agree some days you want an auto just to have an easy drive but believe me longterm manual is far better,
and we just realised we have kept the old bus for 5 years now!!! CANT BELIEVE IT!!(must be good) admittedly im a tinkerer and like to keep me motor good but in 5 years i have replaced the clutch/dmf and the battery and thats it, dont count consumables as to me thats part of service costs!!

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 March 2010, 13:03:42 »

owned both manuals and auto td,s have to say all round the manual wipes the floor with auto, including performance/economy/and maintenance!! agree some days you want an auto just to have an easy drive but believe me longterm manual is far better,
and we just realised we have kept the old bus for 5 years now!!! CANT BELIEVE IT!!(must be good) admittedly im a tinkerer and like to keep me motor good but in 5 years i have replaced the clutch/dmf and the battery and thats it, dont count consumables as to me thats part of service costs!!

Couldn't have put it better meself!  :y :y :y :y :y
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

age_of_generals

• Cambridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 March 2010, 16:50:27 »

Thank you everyone for their insight.  Much appreciated. 
BTW, i guess i should start a new thread for this but are there any manufacturer either BMW or vauxhall workshop manuals available for rebuilding an M51?

thanks

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2010, 20:55:58 »

found a downloadable one couple of years ago,its actually for the rangerover p38 which uses the same engine, but it tells you all you need to know about the lump, think its somewhere in maintenance guides or something, if you cant find it, pm the boy :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 March 2010, 21:09:47 »

Have a read:   http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1266347736/30#30

:y :y :y :y :y

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #21 on: 17 March 2010, 21:10:01 »

Couldn't have put it better meself!  :y :y :y :y :y

+1 :y
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.