Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MID Display  (Read 2695 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
MID Display
« on: 17 August 2006, 12:04:25 »

Basically on my list of things to do is either replace or try to fix the missing pixel problem.

Has anyone managed to fix these or is it a case of find a decent replacement.

I had the test carried out on the screen when I went to see Theboy and there must of been atleast 4-5 lines out.

If anyone can suggest a good method for fixing besides using a hammer, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers
Roy

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
Re: MID Display
« Reply #1 on: 17 August 2006, 12:34:42 »

the best thing to do is replace with a new unit as they all go like that, if it is the triple info display like mine. i replaced mine with a second hand one off ebay which very quickly went the same way. the problem is the wiring loom that runs from the circuit board to the lcd screen you can in theory clean the contacts with a stanley blade on the circuit board but its a very difficult task, the TID fitted to a vectra although looks the same is in fact 1mm bigger all around but the electronics inside are the same and can be transfered over but the chances of ending up with missing pixels is very big. from time to time there is a guy on ebay who advertises to fix your original one and he might be a good bet if he offers any warrenty.finally there are two different types available one with a yellow plug and one with a grey plug and as far as i know they arnt interchangeable.
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 August 2006, 13:08:34 »

Alledgedly a difficult repair. Wouldn't mind having a go with one if someone has a shagged one that will otherwise go in the bin...

A known good replacement might be easiest option.
Grumpy old man

mr des

• limerick, ireland
  • Doh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 August 2006, 14:04:44 »

i had a go with my old one but to be honest it needed a new loom there was no conductor left in it, the quality of wiring was more akin to something off my old peugeot, good car spoilt by duff electrics.
i want to shine in the eye of orion but i drove my sole through the black hole

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2006, 14:17:54 »

Cheers for the suggestions, shall seek a replacement in the coming months.

Its not too bad for the moment as I can still read the thing.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2006, 14:18:23 by nixoro »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2006, 14:25:54 »

lol - i've just remembered your display, that was the one with loads og lines missing near the middle wasn't it?
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 August 2006, 14:27:03 »

lol - i've just remembered your display, that was the one with loads og lines missing near the middle wasn't it?

Yep thats the one  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 August 2006, 14:30:42 »

they frequently come up on fleabay. Bide your time, you should be able to pick one up cheap....
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 August 2006, 14:35:13 »

they frequently come up on fleabay. Bide your time, you should be able to pick one up cheap....

Yeah I think I will bide my time as I enquired at Vx in Hitchin last year and for the TID at the time was I think £90+Vat and a full MID like the one I have was gonna be something like £190+Vat, whether thats a good price or even if it still applies I dont know.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2006, 16:11:11 »

You may need to check the connectors on back of yours before buying - I seem to recall there are different types...  ...someone will know for definate though.
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 August 2006, 16:19:03 »

I know the Black omega Mid has the yellow and grey connection but whether that differs through the range/year of vehicle etc I dont know.

Removing the dash when I have done it before hasn't been that bad to do though so checking shouldn't be a problem.

RonaldMcBurger

« Reply #11 on: 17 August 2006, 23:18:57 »

They are different. The 2.5 one and the 3.0 one are also different. Best thing is to fix your one. But they are fiddly and the ribbon cable is quite fragile as I discovered when I gently used persuasion by way of an angle grinder and hedge trimmer to micro-adjust mine. There is a certain pleasure in totally smashing up something you were so careful to remove, then buying another one from Ebay - which is often worse than the one you are replacing.

Simpler soltion, get a clear photo of a working one. Print it out and glue it on top of yours. Nobody will ever know.

except the supervisor:

WARNING TASTLESS PICTURE FOR NO OBVIOUS REASON:

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 August 2006, 10:56:36 »

They are different. The 2.5 one and the 3.0 one are also different. Best thing is to fix your one. But they are fiddly and the ribbon cable is quite fragile as I discovered when I gently used persuasion by way of an angle grinder and hedge trimmer to micro-adjust mine. There is a certain pleasure in totally smashing up something you were so careful to remove, then buying another one from Ebay - which is often worse than the one you are replacing.

Simpler soltion, get a clear photo of a working one. Print it out and glue it on top of yours. Nobody will ever know.

except the supervisor:

Ron, Why are you posting pictures of yourself? Is it because we now have a female contingent?  ;)
« Last Edit: 18 August 2006, 10:56:56 by Kev »
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Martin_1962

« Reply #13 on: 18 August 2006, 13:57:04 »

except the supervisor:

Ron, Why are you posting pictures of yourself? Is it because we now have a female contingent?  ;)

But that looks nothing like Ron the chicken walker

Perhaps one is Ron and one is Finlay?

cipher

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2006, 08:13:34 »

I picked a MID up from my local scrappies for free as the guy on the guy on the gate didn't know what it was.

Got a self dipping mirror for £5, again, just a mirror for him. I showed him the MID and the mirror, and he only charged for the mirror.

Sold it on eBay for £30. Bonus!

There is a conpany on eBay that will repair one for about £15-£20, Anyone had any experience with them?
Breaking a 1996 'N' 2.5 V6 Omega
PM For Details
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.