Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: If you Bought a New Car? What Would You Choose?  (Read 9020 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: If you Bought a New Car? What Would You Choose?
« Reply #15 on: 16 October 2023, 01:31:36 »

I agree that buying brand new is not the way to go. I did buy a new Astra GTE and put it on the road Aug 1st 84 as I managed to get some discount through he company I worked for.  However the car was a night mare with 2 A4 pages list of faults, the final nail in the coffin was when it nearly caught fire in a petrol station at only 8 months old.

The good news was that I managed to PX it for a brand Nissan Sylvia Turbo and lost £20.20 on what I paid for the GTE. (with 8000 miles on it)

I then went in business and sadly had to sell the car.  Wish I still had the Sylvia, not worth a fortune but I reckon I would have made a poffit on it if I still had it.  Seems Skylines are fetching in some cases in excess of £100K.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 October 2023, 14:17:39 »

Not right now, but pick your time and choose carefully, sometimes buying new can be a no-brainer.  As said, right now there aren't that many stunning deals.  Also, if you need to bide your time, occasionally you get stunning leasing options, but again not right now - bro used to get S Classes on lease which cost far less than the depreciation on buying a new one, plus he could hand it back (because as he found out, the S Class is a bit of a dog nowadays).

As for plug in hybrids, a mate of mine has some Pug piece of shit as a company car, and its beyond hopeless at everything.  In the summer he can just about manage 30 miles from a charge when it was new, in the winter, he struggles to get to work and back on a charge, and thats about 2.5 miles each way.  Charging off a domestic supply via 13A plug with current electric prices now his energy deal has ended is about the same cost as petrol, and more expensive than diesel.  So he lugs those heavy batteries around in his crap, underpowered 1.5 petrol SUV crossover for no reason but to wear out the brakes faster.

No idea what I would get if I needed a car tomorrow.  Omega remains a hard act to follow as a comfortable, all round, fun, mile muncher.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 October 2023, 15:00:47 »

A plug in hybrid is a total waste of piss and nowt more than a subversive way to get everyone to fit charging ports at home.

A conventional hybrid is practically a much better solution if only because it doesn't require an external power source in order to work.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 October 2023, 15:36:37 »

A plug in hybrid is a total waste of piss and nowt more than a subversive way to get everyone to fit charging ports at home.

A conventional hybrid is practically a much better solution if only because it doesn't require an external power source in order to work.

Are you really saying that the only practical way of charging a vehicle's battery is by fitting an engine to do it? That just means you have a petrol-powered electric car with most of the disadvantages of both, yet few of any advantages.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 October 2023, 15:43:35 »

Plugging it into the wall when it's fitted with a perfectly adequate generator seems a somewhat superfluous additional complication. So yes, imho.

The only thing the Pious family does wrong is by not using a small diesel.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 October 2023, 16:14:11 »

Idealy I would love annother Elite. I keep looking, but low mileage one owner models in mint condition are hard to come by, but the money is here if the right 2003 model comes my way. ::)

I missed out getting a 3000GSI carlton but no rush, prepared to wait for something that ticks a few boxes. :y

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 October 2023, 17:12:18 »

Idealy I would love annother Elite. I keep looking, but low mileage one owner models in mint condition are hard to come by, but the money is here if the right 2003 model comes my way. ::)

I missed out getting a 3000GSI carlton but no rush, prepared to wait for something that ticks a few boxes. :y

I hope I beat you to it  Skruntie if ever one appears, I've always regretted selling my 2.6  a few years back now I've got a large double garage I've the room for it, changed it for a V8 Merc & in all honesty the Omega was a far better vehicle.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 October 2023, 17:19:10 »

I still have a Range Rover L322 itch, and I'd better scratch that itch soon before they get too old and knackered!  ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 October 2023, 17:27:48 »

I still have a Range Rover L322 itch, and I'd better scratch that itch soon before they get too old and knackered!  ::)

Definitely get one my L320 is the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven the only car that gets near it for comfort is an Omega , don't get a V6 though too many  documented engine failures, either the 3.6 V8 diesel or the 5 litre supercharged are considered by most to be the best.I intend to keep mine as long as possible. Just ensure it has a very good documented service history.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2023, 17:33:03 by Rangie »
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 October 2023, 18:11:49 »

And you, too  ;D
Diesel till I die

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 October 2023, 18:23:45 »

And you, too  ;D

;D  Yes.

That's one of my justifications. Medicinal purposes.  ::)  A RR will be easier to get in and out of with my knackered hips, and when I eventually get round to getting them done it will be easier on them while they're still bedding in.  :y

Getting in and out of a car is quite difficult with knackered hips.  :-\  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 17 October 2023, 18:48:02 »

I hope I beat you to it  Skruntie if ever one appears, I've always regretted selling my 2.6  a few years back now I've got a large double garage I've the room for it, changed it for a V8 Merc & in all honesty the Omega was a far better vehicle.
The W210 E Class is a bit meh. The model that preceded it was a far better car, the Omega was a very different car to both  the E Class and 5 Series, even though it targeted similar markets, especially at the entry level.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 17 October 2023, 18:50:44 »

No point having a Range Rover round here, seems they are getting nicked all over the place, 2 were stolen from local shop fronts in the space of an hour a few weeks ago even whilst the the shops were heaving with shoppers.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 17 October 2023, 21:07:39 »

No point having a Range Rover round here, seems they are getting nicked all over the place, 2 were stolen from local shop fronts in the space of an hour a few weeks ago even whilst the the shops were heaving with shoppers.
maybe terrorists are stealing them to burn down air port car parks etc  :P

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 October 2023, 08:04:05 »

A plug in hybrid is a conventional hybrid with the ability to charge from the mains and generally a larger battery, so actually far more useful
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.