Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propshaft Bearing Replacement Help Needed  (Read 1468 times)

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
Propshaft Bearing Replacement Help Needed
« on: 04 September 2020, 21:15:43 »

Hi Guys

I need to replace the propshaft bearing on my 2.5TD Omega, I’ve removed the six nuts and bolts at each end of the shaft plus the bolts holding the centre bearing housing to the car underside.
I’ve tried levering it at each end while trying to waggle it in the middle to try and get it to slide on the splines in the middle of the shaft but it won’t budge, not that its very easy to lever because of the rubber flexi joints at both ends which I’m trying not to damage.

I’ve pulled the rubber gaiter back which covers the splines and they seem clean enough from what I can see.
For now, I’ve sprayed some WD40 on them, but in the meantime has anyone out there had the same problem if so, what did you do to get around the issue?

Thanks to anyone who can help

Clive   

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Propshaft Bearing Replacement Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2020, 22:37:07 »

Lever against the flange not the rubber and be more enthusiastic.

Chances are, if it's ever been out for a clutch change, then it's been refitted out of sync... It has a master spline, but it isn't quite significant enough to prevent misfitting.

If it's still on the car, retighten the bearing carrier bolts and knock the front flange forward with a stout block of wood and possibly a gentle persuasion tool. Make sure you are positioned well to one side as it will pop out quite abruptly  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2020, 19:42:58 »

Hi Doctor Gollum

Thanks for your reply, I tried your idea of using a block of wood and giving the bearing carrier a few clouts and nah it still wouldn’t budge and not very easy trying to do when lying on your back.
It was so annoying because I could waggle the prop all over the place but just couldn’t get the splines to slide.

Anyway, I did another search and came across a posting on vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk way back on 23 Aug 2006 suggesting giving the prop a pull down in the middle near the universal joint and sure enough it worked.
To get it completely off the car I did need to undo part of the exhaust because it crosses over from the passenger side to the driver’s side and prevented the prop dropping down far enough.   

For now, I’ve stood the prop up and squirted some WD40 on it so hopefully it will run down the splines, if that fails to loosen it, I guess I could try some heat on it now it’s off the car.
I will post again just to let anyone reading this know how I get on.

Incidentally I understand what you said about a master spline, I have come across that before, having said that, in the Haynes Manual it reads about marking the two halves for matching purposes when refitting, I’ve also managed to get a look at the Vauxhall TIS 2000 Manual and it says exactly the same thing.
There’s absolutely no mention of a master spline it just goes on about marking both halves for refitting.
I’m beginning to think when the shafts when originally made they were just fitted together and balanced not having a master spline which is a crap idea I know.   

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2020, 14:50:16 »

Right guys as promised, this was the final outcome of replacing the bearing, first off, I have to apologise about saying there is no mention in the workshop manual about a master spline, I got that totally wrong there is even a photo showing it  :-[.

With the shaft off the car applying WD40 did no good, in the end I had to lay the shaft on the floor and hit some of the bolt hole lugs using a copper hammer and it did eventually come apart.
I have to say with it still attached to the car no amount of levering would have budged it.

Even after getting it apart and locating the master splines it had to be hammered back together as it certainly wasn’t a sliding fit, even after greasing it.
I used a bearing puller to remove the old bearing from the shaft.

On fitting it back under the car I found I’d knocked it together slightly more than it should have been and as a result the bolts wasn’t quite long enough to go through the flanges and rubber flexi joints allowing enough thread to get a nut on, so I used some all-thread to get it started.
Once the shaft was extended enough I swoped the all thread for the original bolts.

The only thing I could not replace was the rubber gaiter which covers the splined section of the shaft, it appears its longer sold by Vauxhall and I could not find anything near the size, so for better or worse I’ve used some sealer to try and make good the old gaiter, I’ll keep my eye on it from time to time.

« Last Edit: 06 October 2020, 14:52:19 by Clive of India »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2020, 15:11:29 »

Job eventually jobbed then :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Clive of India

• Omega 2.5TD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2020, 15:36:37 »

Hi Doctor Gollum

Yes I got it done, just hadn't got around to posting the outcome until now.

If I can manage to post some photos I will, as it may be of some help to anyone else who is still running around in one of these old Omega's and has the same job to do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.