Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fault gets a bit worse  (Read 2002 times)

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
Re: Fault gets a bit worse
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2021, 21:54:10 »

And the windscreen is starting to delaminate ive noticed at the bottom where the seal is next to the scuttle its not really sealed very well, you can lift it.Could i run some black gasket seal along it. Would the water just run straight of the screen into the bay

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2021, 22:08:12 »

New screen with new frame and rubber.

If it's been letting water in long enough to affect the glass, then it is unlikely to pop back on correctly.

The issue being that the frame and rubber trim is fitted to the glass before the glass is fitted to the car.
Onanists always think outside the box.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 February 2021, 22:28:22 »

the water should run down the screen and over the rubber seal onto the plastic scuttle. if its not fitted to the bottom of the glass correctly water can get under the rubber and go behind the plastic,soaking the foam and then dripping onto the top of the engine.usually affecting plug 6 .if the bottom strip is loose already you can only improve it by resealing it to the lower edge of the glass.ordinary black sealant isnt realy strong enough.idealy low modulus or actual screen glue would work best. if the rest of the screen is watertight and fits well its got to be worth a try. i sealed mine 5 years ago by the very same method and its kept the foam dry since. although ive now just had a screen out repaint so lets hope its still ok  now !
if you do remove the screen they are still available.i just paid £160 + vat for mine plus fitting but the old screen is here if you need it ?

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2021, 22:34:24 »

Cool guys i think we found out where the faults are coming from i bet its soaking wet when i look tommorrow.Is there a best way to dry it all out and thanks yep i might need the screen at some point.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2021, 23:04:55 »

just remove the scuttle panel.( top plastic screws,wiper arms ,1 screw ) and you will need to disconnect the washers if you want to remove it completely but it will dry out on its own if you squueze the most out .some say remove the foam but its there for a reason otherwise gm wouldnt have bothered in the first place.helps with noise supression .
now you can see the bottom window rubber strip which should be fixed to the glass. chances are it wont be .mine wasnt originally. glue it back with whatever is your prefffered sealant making sure that water cannot run into and under it.
yes its supposed to be a window out job to do properly apparently but you cant make it any worse if its already loose  can you.
the white delamination damage cannot be repaired however so thats up to you as or when it gets too unsightly / too damaged. its a fault with the glass itself but could take years to progress ?
my brothers has been starting to go white for the last 5 years or so but is very slow. no leaks and he cant see it from inside only from one corner if you stand right next to the car. !
cant see any water issues here ( or the towbar wiring)affecting the interior electrical problems you are having but most likely causing the  misfire ( if not oil / cam cover gasket)
but all needs sorting / eliminating anyway.
all part of the fun !

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2021, 23:33:11 »

Thanks mate.Its gotta be water coming in from the door thats shorting something.Was worried it might be the start of a head gasket failure.Tommorrow im off so im gonna take a good look at it.I will take the door card off see if its wet inside there.

Have a look at post #7 in the topic 'Dash Dimmer Causing Noise'. If you are convinced it could be water getting in from the door (which I doubt), equally it could be a leak similar to mine from the sunroof drain, with water running from the headlining to the back of the A pillar trim, which then guides it to the side of the dash before running behind the kick panel. When I took the end cover off the dash, water had collect on the ledges in the dash area behind the light switches. Just a suggestion to check for damp in that area 're your electrical issues.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

gavlar001

• kent
    • omega 2.6 mv6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2021, 18:25:12 »

Hi everyone thanks for all the input.set about taking the scuttle off and yep it was wet in the center of the screen below on the foam backing.I noticed the gasket seemed ok just not tight to the glass, so i cleaned it as it was full of muck, cleaned the edge of the glass.Got all of the water out of the foam and dryed it out.I also took the drivers side door card off as the seal along the piller was loose and there was a gap at the bottom.Inside the door card the water proof membrain was original and still ok but it was soaking wet between that and the door card.I dryed both of them out put them back reconnect the main center headliner light and for a bit on locking the light went out but all of a sudden it stayed on lol. So i left it disconnected, meanwhile it started running ruff again and the engine management came on.I turned it off left it for a bit then took it on a massive drive, to really warm it up, to which it drove fine.When i did the thermostat i noticed someone had done the oil cooler.I take it the next thing is to take out the coil packs check the plugs and wells for oil.Any ideas Many thanks Gavin
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.