Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Gates Kit Question  (Read 2629 times)

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Another Gates Kit Question
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2021, 13:28:20 »

Did you use the new lower roller with eccentric and adjust it initially to two o'clock? Or even mid position.

You need to remove the slack from the nearside exhaust cam to the bottom roller first. Whilst the cams are still locked with Nr 1 at TDC.

Then do the upper idler roller to 11 o'clock whilst the cams are still locked with Nr 1 at TDC. That will remove the slack between both inlet cams and the upper idler. Then carry on with the tensioner, rotating and checking etc.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 March 2021, 15:13:10 »

I've just looked at your video. The upper eccentric idler/roller is too far clockwise. Looks like one or two o'clock. Should be around eleven o'clock.
The lower idler is also too far clockwise, bit hard to say but looks like you have it at three or four o'clock. Should be around two o'clock.

So I suggest you start again.

Put the cam locks in with the marks aligned and Nr 1 at TDC. Also the crank lock at TDC and locked.
You need to release the tensioner back to it's starting position.
Turn both the eccentrics to minimum.
Install the belt clockwise.
Then turn the lower idler anti-clockwise to two o'clock and tighten the bolt.
Then turn the upper idler anti-clockwise to  to eleven o'clock and tighten the bolt.
Then rotate the tensioner anti-clockwise to get tension in the belt.
Remove the wedge and the cam locks and the crank lock.
Then go through the rotate engine, check and adjust procedure etc and use the timing gauge. Pay attention to the indicator on the tensioner. Shouldn't require much adjustment.
« Last Edit: 04 March 2021, 15:15:29 by Enceladus »

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 March 2021, 17:29:51 »

You are using the timing tools?

Yes, a Kent Moore kit

Ensure that you are using a matched set of pulleys and backing plate.

I'd taken the new pulleys off the new kit's plate and put them on my old plate.

Fit the crank lock.
Adjust the cam pulleys using the gauge, and fit the cam locks.

Run the belt around all of the pulleys, ensuring it's tight along all of the belt runs.
Check that all the adjustable pulleys are in the centre of their range of movement. If they're not, remove the belt, reset the pulleys then the belt and check again.

Now you can start to time the belt, by removing the locks and turning the engine through adjusting as necessary. If you have the belt tensioned correctly before removing the locks, you shouldn't need much adjustment

Aftering watching the video a wee bit and going to do the process each step, I realised i'd done the first tension after removing the cam locks, so that screwed up the positioning and tensions in other places. Reset it and done it again with all the cam lock in place. Seems to be ok now. Only minimal adjustments needed on the banks of cams and tensioner notch is in correct place, i.e. at top of the locator reference.

Cheers all for feedback.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 March 2021, 17:33:24 »

Did you use the new lower roller with eccentric and adjust it initially to two o'clock? Or even mid position.

You need to remove the slack from the nearside exhaust cam to the bottom roller first. Whilst the cams are still locked with Nr 1 at TDC.

Then do the upper idler roller to 11 o'clock whilst the cams are still locked with Nr 1 at TDC. That will remove the slack between both inlet cams and the upper idler. Then carry on with the tensioner, rotating and checking etc.

Was going by the DVD, which had top roller at 12 o'clock, and bottom pulley at 3 o' clock.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 March 2021, 19:14:11 »

At least you got an extremely helpful and detailed  reply from Enceladus! I'm very impressed with the effort he put in the replies to help you.
A tad more helpful than 'Take it off and start again'.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 March 2021, 19:41:10 »

The video explains and demonstrates the process far more eloquently than I ever could, especially when none of us are actually there with the car.

If something doesn't go right, taking it back a clear point is a sensible approach. In the case of a timing belt, that's usually starting over and working methodically through the steps.

So whilst on the face it, "Take it off and start over" might seem as terse, it is actually solid advice and was meant as such.

Regardless, it sounds like between the dvd and Enceladus the OP is sorted.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.