Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance air filter  (Read 5054 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Performance air filter
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2021, 16:38:02 »

GM filters are hardly expensive.

I wish you could say the same for my ML  :'(

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2021, 16:40:48 »

Having played about, with "after-market" filters in a previous life,when every Bit of HP was wrung out of the machine, and spending hours on the rollers, the STD paper filter performance was identical to the so called performance filter. 

The Omega doesn't like oiled filters, it kills the MAF,.

So I would stick to the std filter, and the extra alleged 100bhp you'll get won't be noticeable.

Hoof'land storeman.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2021, 16:52:41 »

GM filters are hardly expensive.

I wish you could say the same for my ML  :'(
Having two filters on the Barge, I sympathise, but a pair of filters isn't significantly more expensive considering  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2021, 17:17:08 »

Only using k&N as a make. As obviously  oiled filters can interfere with the airflow meter.
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2021, 17:45:05 »

Let's face it, although quick for their day (3.0 and 3.2) they are no racing car. And are not the best at going around corners, esp. with their fussy suspension set up.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 April 2021, 19:10:17 »

Having two filters on the Barge, I sympathise, but a pair of filters isn't significantly more expensive considering  ;)

I believe they're stupid money at MB. They're not just a panel filter like I had on my R Class, but these have a big plastic bit on them that's basically part of the filter housing.

Like these .. but more expensive  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 April 2021, 19:13:06 »

Let's face it, although quick for their day (3.0 and 3.2) they are no racing car. And are not the best at going around corners, esp. with their fussy suspension set up.
Unless you get it sorted.  My beloved bullet was a smidgen over 7s to 60, and was so firmly planted it gave you the confidence to always take it to the limits of its capabilities.

There are much faster cars, but the Omega remains quicker and better handling than the majority of cars (using a current Focus/Astra/i40 as an average car).

Shame my current Omega has the crappy 3.2 engine, and I just can't sort the handling on it for some reason ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11 April 2021, 19:15:15 »

Good to here the OP is going back to the standard air filter setup, which we've proved repeatedly is better than the so-called performance options. Even when the performance ones are fitted correctly (separating the filter from the main under bonnet area, and improving the cold air feed to it).
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11 April 2021, 19:16:22 »

Unless you get it sorted.  My beloved bullet was a smidgen over 7s to 60, and was so firmly planted it gave you the confidence to always take it to the limits of its capabilities.

There are much faster cars, but the Omega remains quicker and better handling than the majority of cars (using a current Focus/Astra/i40 as an average car).

Shame my current Omega has the crappy 3.2 engine, and I just can't sort the handling on it for some reason ;D
The omega was about 40 grand in today's money, so those three aren't really a fair comparison.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 April 2021, 19:21:05 »

The omega was about 40 grand in today's money, so those three aren't really a fair comparison.
True, but most of mine still represent some of the cheapest cars I've ever bought.  Even the last 2nd hand Astra I ever bought back in the early 90s cost a damn sight more than any Omega I ever bought ;D.
Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 11 April 2021, 19:24:22 »

I must say that when I kick down on mine and the car accelerates quickly with a roar and I know that it will keep on going up to 150 mph, would I ever ( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)), with no difficulty at all, that is good enough for me :D :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 April 2021, 19:41:27 »

My beloved bullet was a smidgen over 7s to 60, and  ....

The book figure for my 2.2 tonne barge is 7.4  ;) ... it doesn't really do corners though ... even in 'Sport' setting  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 April 2021, 19:48:54 »

would I ever ( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)),  .....

We only have your word for it ....  ::) ::) ;) ;)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 April 2021, 20:03:37 »

would I ever ( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)),  .....

We only have your word for it ....  ::) ::) ;) ;)

Indeed ;D ;D ;D ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 April 2021, 21:10:09 »

The K&N's real advantage is that its performance doesn't deteriorate as it gets dirty. That's both airflow and filtering performance, which isn't true of a paper filter.

That's because a paper filter actually does what it says on the tin - it filters fine particles from the air before the air reaches the engine. As it filters the pores get blocked.

A K&N on the other hand is absolutely crap at filtering. There is some research online (that sadly I can't find quickly) which shows they allow particles in excess of 10 times the size of the paper filter to pass. If you think that's a good thing then you may as well just take ALL the filters out.

It's more efficient, so flows a lot more air for the same size which makes one really useful for applications that are short of space.

Thing is, the Omega doesn't need more air. If the paper filter can flow (say) 200L per second, and the K&N (say) 500L per second then yes the K&N flows more. But if the engine only needs (say) 100L per second then there is precicely zero benefit. 6000rpm * 3L 4 stroke = 150L/sec.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.