Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 on manual gearbox,how its compared to 3.0?  (Read 3276 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: 3.2 on manual gearbox,how its compared to 3.0?
« Reply #15 on: 14 April 2021, 18:01:41 »

Without doubt, the 3.0 is the peach of the Omega engines.  The 3.2 is less powerful in reality and a damn sight more thirsty.

The (poorly mapped) DBW throttle of the 3.2 makes it seem more sprightly when pootling about, but thats because it artificially opens the throttle a lot more than expected on pull away.  Bury the throttle on either from a standing start, the 3.0l is the one to have.  Also, with a mechanical throttle, if you do bury the throttle and dump the clutch, the 3.0 is easier to regain traction, as the DBW needs more guesswork (though consistent, so easy to master)

The 3.2 is hampered by the cost cutting exercises, including the removal of the EGR, which means the compression ratio had to be lowered, and then the cc increased to give similar power.  The compression ratio kills it.

The same story goes for 2.5 v 2.6.

I owned both (autos) side by side for several years, and I've driven more Omegas than I care to remember (hundreds) of all engines and boxes.

I have to add, I particularly detest the Omega manual box due to its throw.  But for outright performance, 3.0l manual out of the standard options available.

Anyone trying to make out that the 3.2l is better in any regard over the 3.0l hasn't driven many 3,0l ones.
Grumpy old man

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 April 2021, 18:16:13 »

Without doubt, the 3.0 is the peach of the Omega engines.  The 3.2 is less powerful in reality and a damn sight more thirsty.

The (poorly mapped) DBW throttle of the 3.2 makes it seem more sprightly when pootling about, but thats because it artificially opens the throttle a lot more than expected on pull away.  Bury the throttle on either from a standing start, the 3.0l is the one to have.  Also, with a mechanical throttle, if you do bury the throttle and dump the clutch, the 3.0 is easier to regain traction, as the DBW needs more guesswork (though consistent, so easy to master)

The 3.2 is hampered by the cost cutting exercises, including the removal of the EGR, which means the compression ratio had to be lowered, and then the cc increased to give similar power.  The compression ratio kills it.

The same story goes for 2.5 v 2.6.

I owned both (autos) side by side for several years, and I've driven more Omegas than I care to remember (hundreds) of all engines and boxes.

I have to add, I particularly detest the Omega manual box due to its throw.  But for outright performance, 3.0l manual out of the standard options available.

Anyone trying to make out that the 3.2l is better in any regard over the 3.0l is a mong and a retard.
You're getting soft, fixed that for ya.
Diesel till I die

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 April 2021, 18:22:21 »

You're getting soft, fixed that for ya.
You're right, on all counts. Thanks :)
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 April 2021, 05:28:03 »

We'll have to agree to disagree. Although you're right, the manual is quicker than the auto :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

calibrated

• Croatia
    • Opel Calibra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2021, 19:09:18 »

Well 3.0 in my wagon goes really well,e46 330ci manual cannot keep up with me,i am going away...weighted at 1680 kg with 30L fuel and spare tire...

On other hand i have Calibra 2.5 v6 DTM Edition and sourced a 3.2 liter Y32SE and have putted in with Calibra C25XE inlet and ancilliaries...Soon i am reshaping the hood and will put up a 3.0/3.2 inlet and get it remapped...the 3.2 engine has 50 000km (32 000 miles)...

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2021, 20:14:48 »

Calibra with a 3.2  :y

I know a couple of people who have done this, It would be nice to do a 4wd version but the transfer boxes are a bit delicate

calibrated

• Croatia
    • Opel Calibra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2021, 20:40:17 »

I have also a calibra turbo with 4x4 ...i think everything under 250-270 hp makes no sense with 4x4,had a 3.0 liter calibra before,and a good driver with good tyres can take it of the line with no much problem :)...the system weights at 105kg with fluids,once you are of the line robs power,more consumption,more things to break ,plus rear manifold stands in way of transfer box ,so need precise custom fabrication :)..

At the moment i am also building my turbo calibra to a 500 hp project with upgraded transfer box ,this is where all wheel drive makes sense :)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2021, 09:59:31 »

Both the 2.6 and 3.2 produce more power and torque than the 2.5/3.0 respectively, so that logic doesn't hold any water ;)
In which case I stand corrected. I thought the preference here was the 3.0?
God alone knows why ;D The 3.2 even has a forged crank.

Makes you wondered why they bothered, when the stock cranks don't fail.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 April 2021, 13:27:24 »

God alone knows why ;D The 3.2 even has a forged crank.

Was it cheaper than a genuine one?  ::) (Yes I'm joking)
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2021, 12:39:34 »

We'll have to agree to disagree.
The 3.2 only makes sense if you change the pistons or the head.  It has the potential to be better than the 3.0, but only if you can increase the CR back up to sensible levels (which GM couldn't without fitting an EGR, which is expensive)
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.