Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Struggling to fit cam locking kit  (Read 904 times)

Malcolm_D

• Intermediate Member
  • York
  • It shines!
    • View Profile
Struggling to fit cam locking kit
« on: 21 May 2021, 08:53:37 »

Morning all.

I am in the process of replacing the timing belt on my 2.6, having borrowed a locking kit from a helpful OOF member.

I have got the engine stripped down and the cam cover off, rotated to tdc and the timing looks spot on, as expected because DLK did it. However I am struggling to fit the locking kit.

The crank locking tool which fits over the crank isn’t a good fit, it appears to be too tight, obviously I am not going to force it! I expected it to slide over, locating easily on the two flats.

The knurled bolt to hold it in place doesn’t line up with any of the threaded holes, it is about 2mm off.

Also one of the cam locking tools fits smoothly, cams 3 and 4, but there is no way the other is going in.

I have rotated the crank to tdc several times to check but still no joy.

I have done the job before but on an older 2.5 so I know what should happen, and I have studied the OOF dvd carefully.

Any ideas?

countrywoman

• worcestershire
    • skoda yeti
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to fit cam locking kit
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2021, 09:05:02 »

As the belt wears thing go out of line so expect to realign stuff, check there is no rust build up where tools fit .

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2021, 09:16:38 »

You need to fit the crank lock before you reach TDC, about 30 deg, then continue turning the engine until the lock reaches the water pump.

The tool has to be flat on the crank boss before you try and tighten the bolt or thumbscrew. If the thumbscrew bolt doesn't work well then try a suitable length bolt instead. One of the crank pulley bolts, as I recall.

If the cam lock won't fit between the offside (banks 1 &2 ) cam sprockets at TDC then you need to loosen the eccentric on the upper idler roller slightly. If the cam lock won't fit between the nearside (banks 3 & 4) then you need to loosen the lower guide roller slightly.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2021, 09:19:56 by Enceladus »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 May 2021, 09:22:05 »

You need to fit the crank lock before you reach TDC, about 30 deg, then continue turning the engine until the lock reaches the water pump.
If the thumbscrew bolt doesn't work well then try a suitable bolt. The tool has to be flat on the crank boss before you try and tighten the bolt or thumbscrew.

If the cam lock won't fit between the offside (banks 1 &2 ) cam sprockets at TDC then you need to loosen the upper idler roller slightly. If the cam lock won't fit between the nearside (banks 3 & 4) then you need to loosen the lower guide roller slightly.

That's almost exactly what I was about to write.

If the belt was properly timed, you shouldn't need to retime it just to get the locks in. But if it is out, it's just a matter of doing the usual 'final adjustments' to fit them. Mine was a tooth out on all four cams when I got it, which meant timing it from scratch.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.