Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Pollen & Air Filters  (Read 9176 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Pollen & Air Filters
« Reply #105 on: 26 December 2021, 14:02:15 »

Never had any problems getting any size tyres from our local tyre shop always within 48 hours, used them for over 30 years.

Indeed, but when you only have work space for three cars at a time, yet fit over 200 tyres a day you're going to choose carefully which sizes are actually worth keeping in stock.

Part of what we're seeing here is the modern 'need' for large tyres, even on small cars. It's not that long ago that a 205/60 13 was quite exotic(only ever fitted to 2.8i Capris as standard) compared to the 165 or 185/70 that were on most small to medium sized cars, or the 225/70 15 that was on flashy stuff like XJs.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 26 December 2021, 14:05:34 »

Had everything in 30 years from a Fiat 126 to the Range Rover never had to go anywhere else, can't praise them highly enough .
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 26 December 2021, 14:07:12 »

Part of what we're seeing here is the modern 'need' for large tyres, even on small cars. It's not that long ago that a 205/60 13 was quite exotic(only ever fitted to 2.8i Capris as standard) compared to the 165 or 185/70 that were on most small to medium sized cars, or the 225/70 15 that was on flashy stuff like XJs.

Even my Smarts have 15" rims  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 26 December 2021, 14:53:11 »

Never had any problems getting any size tyres from our local tyre shop always within 48 hours, used them for over 30 years.

Indeed, but when you only have work space for three cars at a time, yet fit over 200 tyres a day you're going to choose carefully which sizes are actually worth keeping in stock.

Also standard fit on Chevette HS. £50 a corner was the best part of a weeks wages at the time.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 27 December 2021, 14:30:31 »

Only if the manufacturer makes them in that size ;)
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 27 December 2021, 15:57:08 »

Talk about stating the bloody obvious..😂😂😂
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 27 December 2021, 16:36:16 »

Talk about stating the bloody obvious..😂😂😂
Which was the point people were trying to make - less common sizes means that not all options are available, no matter how good your local tyre place is ;)
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 27 December 2021, 16:56:42 »

Well my tyreshop must be the exception , because I've had all types of cars therefore all types of tyres and never been disappointed ,those that know, know as they say.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2021, 17:00:04 by Rangie »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 27 December 2021, 18:00:50 »

Well my tyreshop must be the exception , because I've had all types of cars therefore all types of tyres and never been disappointed ,those that know, know as they say.
Michelin make PS4 in 225/55/16 especially for your tyre place and nobody else?  That's impressive.
Grumpy old man

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 27 December 2021, 18:31:11 »

Michelin make PS4 in 225/55/16 especially for your tyre place and nobody else?  That's impressive.

Never ever bought Michelin they've always advised against them, normally Pirelli ,Vredestein & most recently Yokohama excellent experience with the Yokohama's.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2021, 18:33:38 by Rangie »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 27 December 2021, 19:04:58 »

They're obviously good sales people then... Only selling what they stock rather than serving the customers  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 27 December 2021, 19:57:02 »

They're obviously good sales people then... Only selling what they stock rather than serving the customers  :D

It would take one hell of a salesman to sell me a Michelin. Pirelli or Continental if I'm feeling flush, but I tend to just buy higher end budget brands that I've heard of.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 27 December 2021, 20:09:01 »

Always put Continental on my Mercs when I had them they were pretty dear but came with them when new, was told many years ago that Michelin were not up to scratch by a mate in the trade.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 27 December 2021, 21:25:32 »

After buying my first 3.2 Omega in 2004, I used Dunlops, Goodyears, Hankooks and Michelins on it (I was doing highish mileages at that time). I can't remember what it had on it when I got it, but the Michelins I had fitted were by far the best tyre for me.
My Audi had Pirelli P Zero Rossos from new (which were true 'ditchfinders'), before reverting to Michelins. The Michelins are far superior in handling, wear, feel, and road noise. The only other make which I felt happy with was Continental, but I wouldn't particularly choose them over Michelins.
ATS have periodic deals with Michelin tyres which I try to make use of; the last set of 17" I bought saved me over £120 fitted on the cost for a set of 4 compared with all other suppliers, which makes them a good buy.
Everyone has their own perceptions about tyres. Some just need them to be round,  black and as cheap as possible, whilst others can actually 'feel' and 'hear' the benefit in fitting better quality tyres.
I hope this isn't becoming a tyre debate now we've exhausted oil, air, pollen filters..... :-X

2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 27 December 2021, 21:52:15 »

The Michelins are far superior in handling, wear, feel, and road noise. The only other make which I felt happy with was Continental, but I wouldn't particularly choose them over Michelins.
Everyone has their own perceptions about tyres. Some just need them to be round,  black and as cheap as possible, whilst others can actually 'feel' and 'hear' the benefit in fitting better quality tyres.

For a daily 'all season tyre' i've been using Uniroyal Rainsport 3's  and 5's, but have to agree the Michelin PS4 is by far the best tyre in virtually every aspect i've ever had fitted to an Omega, better than the previous Dunlop Sport Max RT ad Continental SC3

Of course, ask 100 people what tyre they recommend and you'll get 100 different answers ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.