Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring Compressors  (Read 1908 times)

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Spring Compressors
« on: 20 December 2021, 22:00:55 »

Can anyone recomend a set that is upto the Omega front springs? Some of the cheap ones at Halfords etc look like they may not do it!

Many thanks

Steve
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Compressors
« Reply #1 on: 20 December 2021, 22:47:53 »

I bought a UK sourced version of theses...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254088854549

If you have an MV6 you can get away with undoing the strut top nut with the car on its wheels. Obviously not recommended but with the shorter springs you just need a bit of weight on the top mount to get the strut reassembled.

With standard springs you haven't got a cat in hells chance of safely pulling removing the top mount without a decent spring compressor.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 December 2021, 22:56:38 »

The best (and safest from a health point of view) are something like these, but they are quite cumbersome to work with
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000kg-Macpherson-Strut-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Dumper-Extractor-Yolk-Protector-/183122732775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Alternatively, a pair of threaded bar spring compressors with a double hook are safer than those with a single hook
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-2-PCE-CAR-COIL-SPRING-COMPRESSOR-KIT-/191412238567?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

There are threaded bars with single hooks at either end, which also have a locking facility which helps secure the hook to the spring coil it is hooked onto which increases the safety aspect. I have a pair, but cannot see any listed at this moment - maybe I could find an example picture with a more detailed search...
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 December 2021, 23:15:22 »

The best (and safest from a health point of view) are something like these, but they are quite cumbersome to work with
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1000kg-Macpherson-Strut-Coil-Spring-Compressor-Dumper-Extractor-Yolk-Protector-/183122732775?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Alternatively, a pair of threaded bar spring compressors with a double hook are safer than those with a single hook
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEALEY-2-PCE-CAR-COIL-SPRING-COMPRESSOR-KIT-/191412238567?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

There are threaded bars with single hooks at either end, which also have a locking facility which helps secure the hook to the spring coil it is hooked onto which increases the safety aspect. I have a pair, but cannot see any listed at this moment - maybe I could find an example picture with a more detailed search...
Your second link type don't fit the Omega springs particularly well. Similarly, the 'safety' ones. Both the clamps and that they foul the spring seat before you can compress the spring enough.

The compressors such as your first link or mine might be bulky, but they aren't intended to be used on the car.

Clamp the strut in a suitable vice and let the compressor do its thing ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 December 2021, 23:29:10 »

The one DG showed is what you want. It's available for only slightly more than the '3pc set with safety hooks'. I've used several different versions of those, and still have what I consider a decent pair that is robust enough to use. Although I doubt they'll ever see daylight again.

They're just about OK if you're going to use them on a traditional parallel spring that isn't a high rate. Even then, the hooks are too short and the thread tends to catch on the spring cups. If all you're going to do is remove the spring and refit it, that just requires care. Removing them from a loose spring isn't fun. Clamping a loose spring requires a couple of MTFU pills. I know two competent, experienced people who had to have surgery when these things slipped. The ones with left and right threads are particularly bad. I would rather use a number of exhaust clamps than these things.

If you can weld, something like THIS LINK would be a good idea.

What DG suggested effortlessly compresses a brand new Omega spring in under a minute using a ratchet, and just a few seconds with an impact:

and

I didn't realise I had this pic of my good pair of the traditional sort

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 December 2021, 00:17:09 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124837523007

For minimal extra cost, might be an alternative for those with a bit more space...  ;)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 December 2021, 00:47:14 »

Your second link type don't fit the Omega springs particularly well. Similarly, the 'safety' ones. Both the clamps and that they foul the spring seat before you can compress the spring enough.

The compressors such as your first link or mine might be bulky, but they aren't intended to be used on the car.

Clamp the strut in a suitable vice and let the compressor do its thing ;)

Really.....?
These were 'examples'; not specific individual items to buy.
With the suggestions of what types are available, the OP can decide  which best suits his needs, for the Omega and also other cars he may work on.
I have several different type of spring compressors, all similar to, but not identical to those I posted; not all are suitable for all cars however, or the application. You use the most suitable for the particular job at the time.
I wonder sometimes whether it is worth posting suggestions....
Plus, the instructions state that the solid tube type compressor with assorted spring plates should NOT be used with an impact......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 December 2021, 02:14:17 »

I posted based on my experience of rebuilding front struts on at least 15 Omegas.

Initially with the first 'claw' type and latterly with the type I linked to with none of the issues experienced with the cheap type.

Oh, and I don't own an impact gun, although it is a bear doing it manually with HD springs, so I can sympathise with Nick W using one.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2021, 02:39:44 »

I posted based on my experience of rebuilding front struts on at least 15 Omegas, a couple of Vectras and the A Class.

Initially with the first 'claw' type and latterly with the type I linked to with none of the issues experienced with the cheap type.

Oh, and I don't own an impact gun, although it is a bear doing it manually with HD springs, so I can sympathise with Nick W using one.
I struggled with the claw type ones until buying the type I first linked to. They've not been used since.

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 December 2021, 17:53:13 »

I bought a UK sourced version of theses...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254088854549

If you have an MV6 you can get away with undoing the strut top nut with the car on its wheels. Obviously not recommended but with the shorter springs you just need a bit of weight on the top mount to get the strut reassembled.

With standard springs you haven't got a cat in hells chance of safely pulling removing the top mount without a decent spring compressor.  :y

This is what I bought, really good!

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 December 2021, 18:43:09 »

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2021, 15:47:30 »

This is what I have at home

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-ssc1000g-1-tonne-strut-spring-compresso/

Very nice, ideal if you work on a few cars and justify a tool like that.  :y   Makes the job so much quicker and safer.  :y
As it's a job that I don't do that often, I have the double claw type spring compressor ........ and my full face crash helmet.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2021, 15:58:43 »

Very nice, ideal if you work on a few cars and justify a tool like that.  :y   Makes the job so much quicker and safer.  :y
As it's a job that I don't do that often, I have the double claw type spring compressor ........ and my full face crash helmet.  ;D

Got it for free from work when we shut our bodyshop down.

I have mainly workshop-spec tools anyway and have a theory that if I need to borrow a tool 3 times then, providing it is not hideously expensive, I purchase one myself.

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2021, 17:59:38 »

Got it for free from work when we shut our bodyshop down.

I have mainly workshop-spec tools anyway and have a theory that if I need to borrow a tool 3 times then, providing it is not hideously expensive, I purchase one myself.
I am allways happy if I have a reason to buy new toy...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.