Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Overheating almost  (Read 3393 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Overheating almost
« Reply #16 on: 07 July 2022, 20:40:57 »

I'm pretty sure the 2.5/3.0 covers won't fit the 2.6/3.2 as the 2.5/3.0 ones have round holes for the plug leads[having a single coil pack on the back of the engine]where the 2.6/3.2 have square holes with adjacent tapped holes for their coil on plug packs?

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 July 2022, 22:28:53 »

I'm pretty sure the 2.5/3.0 covers won't fit the 2.6/3.2 as the 2.5/3.0 ones have round holes for the plug leads[having a single coil pack on the back of the engine]where the 2.6/3.2 have square holes with adjacent tapped holes for their coil on plug packs?

I wasn't sure, but I think you're right. :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 July 2022, 08:19:05 »

face-lift cars all had the later covers. In part because the US got the 3.0 as a DBW engine unti the end of the Catera run.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 July 2022, 08:25:44 »

My facelift 3.0 had the covers with the round holes which I had to replace because they were warped I bought some used ones off a member on here which were off a dbw engine but I don't think you could do the swap the other way round.I've not clicked on the link so don't know the shape of the plug holes in those.

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 July 2022, 10:24:19 »

IMV, the elephant in the room is that the rocker cover should be in slight vacuum from the breather to the inlet manifold. I suspect what really happens is that the engines are old and the rings are allowing excessive blow by, and at high power this pressurises the crank case and lifts the rocker cover seals, allowing oil to seep/blow out. If the rocker were in vacuum, that wouldn't happen.

I've also heard it said that replacing the rocker covers with metal ones can cause the crank seal to start leaking. Again that can only happen if the crank case is under pressure, and the only place for positive pressure to come from is piston blow by. If the breathers can't cope with the amount of blow-by, then you are going to end up with a pressurised rocker cover, crank case and sump. Reinforcing the rocker covers with metal ones gives those seals enough strength to retain the pressure, so the next weakest thing lets go (the crank seal).

So yes it is important to make sure the breathers are clean, but IMHO that isn't the root cause of the warped/leaking rocker cover issue. Engine wear is. Unfortunatley the only way to know for sure is a complete engine strip down and cylinder bore/piston/ring work. Difficult to justify on a sub £1000 car.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2022, 12:54:07 »

Thanks all for the replies. LC, to be honest I’m with u on that. I was suspecting maybe issue with the breather box or something like that. But what u have said sounds highly likely.

I will try n source some covers, clean breathers again and see what happens. If it goes again as quick as this then it’s probably curtains which I’ll be super sad about.

And no I wouldn’t put an engine in it. Too much hassle and time. I shall probably get a nice little fiesta, hopefully one without the rack / column bearing gone 🤣

Re the omega tho I may give Serek a go. IIRC he had a big bin of mig parts last time I saw him 👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 July 2022, 20:52:01 »

Evening men. Not bumping but thought I’d let you know the plan…

So can’t get cam covers anywhere. And the small selection of ones on eBay look just as warped as mine. So got some replacement gaskets and gonna do couple of things…. somehow try and either straighten out the covers and maybe brace them in some way. Not sure how this will go but worth a shot.
I’ve then got some hardcore sealant that vag use for their oil pan sealing. Done a couple of seat pans now and this stuff is very good. I happen to have two bottles spare. Gonna put small bead along head to cover mating surfaces in addition to gaskets.
Finally I’m gonna bore holes in to each cover. Poo in a small piece of brake pipe and then washer tube to a catch can cable tied somewhere. The only solution I can think of to relieve pressure if there is any.
I will of course be cleaning breathers again in addition to.
No idea if this is gonna work.
So wish me luck 😃😃😃👍👍👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 July 2022, 21:10:36 »

Finally I’m gonna bore holes in to each cover. Poo in a small piece of brake pipe and then washer tube to a catch can cable tied somewhere. The only solution I can think of to relieve pressure if there is any.

I wouldn't do that. IMV better off putting a T piece in the Y pipe that runs from the crank breather to the plenium breather.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 July 2022, 22:02:18 »

Cheers mate 👍👍👍
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 July 2022, 18:21:47 »

Got it all back together. I took it for half hour run. No leaks…. Yet. Just waiting 🤣

In the end I didn’t drill in to covers cos I got a Topran gasket kit and it looked sooo much better when I compared to the BGA shit that beds. battery sent me. The Topran gasket kit actually stuck in the cover so it wouldn’t fall out so no need to poo 💩 it in. The material was also a nice neoprene type and felt good.

I did however (very carefully) lay a thin bead of poo on the head mating surface. If it leaks within a week now I’ll know there’s definite over pressurising problems and I’ll then make my bores… or T-piece as previously mentioned.
RIP Paul Lovejoy
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 19 queries.