Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3019154 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #24465 on: 27 November 2022, 14:37:06 »

Busy couple of weeks  with everything going on in my life ATM  :-X
Prepped one Astra H estate for MOT ,needed a back box  (I had a new genuine GM one in the hoard) plus rear spring bottom rubbers (ordered via Ebay from Saabtech )
passed  MOT Monday, no advisories  :)

prepped the astra G for MOT ,very small hole in the mid box  :( "bodge bandage" applied  ;D, i have a mid pipe in the hoard but didn't have time to replace it  :y ,dried out moisture in the headlamps .
Passed MOT Thursday with no advisories  :)

prepped my Omega V6 for MOT , the usual suspects but also had to re-fit the original pre cats cobbled together to new aftermarket "BM catalysts"  main cats  :( (cats got stolen earlier this year  >:( ) and to speed up the job ,I fitted new mid boxes and a new back box
Boack box was sold as "Klarius GM179M" twin outlet , what i got was a GT exhausts twin outlet back box ,which sounds nearly as loud as no back box  ::)
I didn't have time to strip my brakes pre test as i usually do due to being busy  :(
Passed MOT with no advisories yesterday  :)

5th MOT i've put on the Omega ,but the first MOT where Carbon monoxide registered on the emissions test machine (the rest being ZERO) 0.022 CO with a 0.2 max limit ,so a tenth of allowed ," it is what it is " :(
brakes = 400 fronts 300 rears and 200 handbrake ,so good readings but i will do them ,along with other jobs when time allows .

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24466 on: 27 November 2022, 15:04:14 »

My pre-MOT inspection is equally exhaustive. I squirt some water on front and rear screens, and check the bulbs.
I do this even though the garage I take it to would top up the washer bottle and change any bulb pre/during test. I'm all heart  ;D
Diesel till I die

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #24467 on: 27 November 2022, 15:06:21 »

Prepped one Astra H estate for MOT ,needed a back box  (I had a new genuine GM one in the hoard) plus rear spring bottom rubbers (ordered via Ebay from Saabtech )

prepped the astra G for MOT ,very small hole in the mid box  :( "bodge bandage" applied  ;D, i have a mid pipe in the hoard but didn't have time to replace it  :y ,dried out moisture in the headlamps .

prepped my Omega V6 for MOT , the usual suspects but also had to re-fit the original pre cats cobbled together to new aftermarket "BM catalysts"  main cats  :( (cats got stolen earlier this year  >:( ) and to speed up the job ,I fitted new mid boxes and a new back box
Boack box was sold as "Klarius GM179M" twin outlet , what i got was a GT exhausts twin outlet back box ,which sounds nearly as loud as no back box  ::)
I didn't have time to strip my brakes pre test as i usually do due to being busy  :(

5th MOT i've put on the Omega ,but the first MOT where Carbon monoxide registered on the emissions test machine (the rest being ZERO) 0.022 CO with a 0.2 max limit ,so a tenth of allowed ," it is what it is " :(
brakes = 400 fronts 300 rears and 200 handbrake ,so good readings but i will do them ,along with other jobs when time allows .

Do you get a 'quantity' discount at your MOT station Dave?  ;)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24468 on: 27 November 2022, 15:21:26 »

Full price £55
I'm not one for "cheap MOTs"  :D
tester is a police special and strict but fair  :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24469 on: 27 November 2022, 19:01:25 »

Nice results there Dave. I'm currently toying with taking the silver Omega (the one with irmscher wheels etc for an MOT. It's due 06/12 but hasn't moved a wheel since the last MOT and is currently SORN. I tempted to take it and see what happens, It will need a cambelt before it gets used again properly as thats way overdue on age (not mileage) but I can't see the point of doing it until next year when I might actually get to use it.  :-\

Full price £55
I'm not one for "cheap MOTs"  :D
tester is a police special and strict but fair  :)

The MOT tester I use (been going there for over 20 years) only charges me £35, but I suppose via me he has ended up with most of my family using him so good for him.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24470 on: 27 November 2022, 19:54:22 »

Nice results there Dave. I'm currently toying with taking the silver Omega (the one with irmscher wheels etc for an MOT. It's due 06/12 but hasn't moved a wheel since the last MOT and is currently SORN. I tempted to take it and see what happens, It will need a cambelt before it gets used again properly as thats way overdue on age (not mileage) but I can't see the point of doing it until next year when I might actually get to use it.  :-\

The MOT tester I use  charges me £35,
It depends if you have the time to do it now
I'd probably give the lights, tyres etc a check, test drive it 20 miles (cleans the brake discs up and blows out the cobwebs ) then for £35 ,stick it in for test ,if it passes then you have 12 months of being able to drive it if needed  :)

I "prep" a car for MOT buy jacking the "axles" ,doing the tests for play etc the NOT tester does, then remove road wheels, strip brakes, clean, lube and reassemble ,wire brush crap off ,check for corrosion ,brake lines etc , apply touch ups to anti rust, grease things , check thge wheels and tyres, check exhaust, service, check lights etc ,cataclean ( a week or so before ) Obviously that takes time   :P
I like to be confident a car will PASS an MOT before presenting it for one   :)
but I also think an MOT every year is a good thing, a second set of eyes checking things I may have missed .

but all the cars I prep and MOT are family ones

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24471 on: 27 November 2022, 22:07:59 »

It's a difficult one, its had so little use over the last few years, the plan was to get to a few shows but Covid stopped that plan, then this year work has just been manic so any spare time has been used just to keep the daily cars maintained.

The thought on delaying the MOT was probably more about moving it to a better time of year for me really. I've also got the full Irmscher body kit to paint and fit to it as well, so, even though it's been an ornament lately i'm still planning to spend money on it.  ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24472 on: 28 November 2022, 15:34:49 »

Drove it the 460 miles to Paris, loaded to the gunwales with 6 people, mobility scooter, roof box and all the other gubbins of a family holiday.

The car never missed a beat, 80mph/130kph all the way, in great comfort, and 26mpg. Not bad I reckon. :y
The big black pussy did 1200 miles around North Wales last week, but did manage to break a trim piece when I hit a puddle a bit hard, and that was probably what upset one of the wheel sensors for a couple of hours.  It was a bit deeper than I had anticipated ;D

On the upside, it didn't fire any internal or external airbags, which was a relief ;D
Grumpy old man

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #24473 on: 28 November 2022, 19:04:41 »

Sounds like you've found a car you are really happy with, Jim. It's nice when that happens  :)

Make the most of it, it will start falling to bits soon  ;D

Thanks Steve, I am enjoying it immensely. As fornbits falling off, so far it's been to the dealer for a new headlight (bit fell off) door realignment (they "forgot" to do it pre purchase) and to have some rear interior trim reattached. None of which is actually as bad as it sounds.

The dealer also managed to chip the windscreen while moving it around to get the door alignment done and are so far claiming it's nothing to do with them.   >:(

That's a problem in shelving until I get back but the snotty b!tch who sent me the initial response to my complaint is really going to wish she didn't.

It was a bit deeper than I had anticipated ;D

Over the windscreen TB? I've had the Disco in about 18" of water, which doesn't even count as trying in one of those!
« Last Edit: 28 November 2022, 19:06:26 by Viral_Jim »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24474 on: 28 November 2022, 20:25:24 »

Over the windscreen TB? I've had the Disco in about 18" of water, which doesn't even count as trying in one of those!
It was probably only 6" or so, but I did try the "if I go fast enough I'll glide over it" technique.  Which is code for I really didn't think it was that deep ;D.

Probably too low slung for those sort of shenanigans.  Your disco wouldn't have batted an eyelid, bar the aquaplane :y
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24475 on: 28 November 2022, 21:53:18 »

https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1208006169752678401?t=jnd2OOi603L7uOt0Tz7kXA&s=19

Hitting this in the Trolley, in the dark, nearly set off the airbags :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24476 on: 28 November 2022, 22:03:37 »

https://twitter.com/SurreyRoadCops/status/1208006169752678401?t=jnd2OOi603L7uOt0Tz7kXA&s=19

Hitting this in the Trolley, in the dark, nearly set off the airbags :D
Are headlights an optional extra  :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24477 on: 28 November 2022, 22:09:22 »

It's unlit motorway, so no warning due to the geography of the road... Over a crest and down a slight curve into it. You only get as much warning as cats eyes you can illuminate... Which on dipped beam is about 4. The truck I was overtaking at the time hit the leading edge just before me so that was pretty much all the warning I had.

Lane 3 wasn't completely underwater when I went through it.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24478 on: 28 November 2022, 22:16:35 »

It's unlit motorway, so no warning due to the geography of the road... Over a crest and down a slight curve into it. You only get as much warning as cats eyes you can illuminate... Which on dipped beam is about 4. The truck I was overtaking at the time hit the leading edge just before me so that was pretty much all the warning I had.

OK, does it flood often ?
maybe get a Dutton instead of a Merc  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24479 on: 28 November 2022, 22:53:11 »

OK, does it flood often ?
maybe get a Dutton instead of a Merc  ;D
It’s no longer on my commute so it can be underwater all winter for all I care ;D

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 19 queries.