Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some BT questions...  (Read 1002 times)

05omegav6

Some BT questions...
« on: 17 May 2014, 15:58:31 »

I'm considering a land line for work, as I wonder if people are put off by mobile numbers as primary point of contact. Basically after a land line with cost free call diversion, as it would be diverted 90% of the time. I have 4000 minutes to any uk landline/mobile plus unlimited text/broadband with T mobile, so outgoing calls/tinterweb irrelevant.

I have a handful of questions:

1. Do I really need a business line? I am not VaT registered, so am considering a Personal contract, either the weekend calls package or the unlimited. I don't need mobile/broadband/tv. The business line rentals are ex vat and more expensive/worse value for money...

2. Looking at additional features, in particular Call Diversion. Are the diverted calls chargeable, or is the transfer cost covered by the £3.50 per month add on.

So with the Weekend package, line rental paid in front, my cost would be £159.84 for 12 months line rental, plus £50 for connection (if ordered online), then £3.50 a month plus call charges?

If I went with a Broadband/phone package, connection is free, but the monthly cost becomes £13.50 plus calls, again prepaying 12 months line rental.

I have been offered a line at cost with a nice number, ABCABC, but it is a different, albeit local, area code, and is also somewhat conditional :-\ does have growth potential though...

Am I looking in the wrong place :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Some BT questions...
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2014, 16:23:07 »

Diverted calls are all charged as if you phoned the number yourself and I don't believe they come out of any free call allowances.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2014, 16:32:39 »

You can get a mobile number that looks like a landline. Had a quick look and saw several companys that do it :y

05omegav6

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014, 16:42:01 »

Diverted calls are all charged as if you phoned the number yourself and I don't believe they come out of any free call allowances.
Business line might be better in that case... :-\ Personal calls to mobiles are 6-12p per minute, pluse 15p call set up, whereas Business rates are capped at 25p per call, with a 7p set up charge, even though the cheapest line rental is £18 per month inc VaT.

You can get a mobile number that looks like a landline. Had a quick look and saw several companys that do it :y
Shall have a look at that too :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014, 17:36:10 »

I've just left BT after 47 years (long story, but they have no respect for loyalty) and signed up to Sky: got a lulu of a deal!
Their communications and customer service are great, too....want to investigate, Al?

Ron.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2014, 18:42:23 »

I've just left BT after 47 years (long story, but they have no respect for loyalty) and signed up to Sky: got a lulu of a deal!
Their communications and customer service are great, too....want to investigate, Al?

Ron.

Expensive mobile calls :'(

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2014, 19:45:22 »

I have a Virgin landline and a Virgin mobile. I get free calls to my mobile at the same level as my landline package. So my unlimited package gives free calls to the mobile, including diverted calls all the time. I leave it diverted all the time.

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2014, 20:46:49 »

I had my home phone divert calls to my mobile, the cost was 10p every call I received. Mind you that was about 7 years ago.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2014, 21:13:33 »

Looked in to VoIP providers?
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2014, 21:14:29 »

Wotdatden? :-[

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2014, 21:23:44 »

Wotdatden? :-[
There is a lot of choice with VoIP (no line, it runs over your broadband), so you *may* find one with the options you need.

The problem is that whichever provider you are with has to pay the call termination charges, which for mobiles can be high. Hence I think you'll find a reluctance for any provider to offer it
Grumpy old man

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2014, 23:29:29 »

Does not sound like you need a BT line, just a geographic number routed to your mobile?
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2014, 08:16:27 »

VoIP is defo the way to go for cost-effectiveness in your situation :y

Skype, Vonage, etc

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2014, 13:02:20 »

I would question whether you actually need a Land Line number for your Small Business these days, unlike a few years back, just about everyone has a mobile and use there bundled mins for most calls. In fact most people are now more aware about ringing Land Line numbers from there mobile, namely 08XX and 09XX numbers.

To use a Land Line and then have all its calls diverted to your mobile, when probably 90% of them incoming calls are from the callers mobile, is just an additional expense burden on you and free money to the Telco Provider, been there, done that.  :(

Another thing to consider is if your using a Land Line number, some confusion will a rise when you then call or Text from your Mobile, ie, 'Im Outside'.

Sounds like you need to retain your T Mobile service due to its package, totally understand that as I get the same deal with T Mobile for £15 pm, although I do use another long term Vodafone Number for work calls, only another £8 pm for reasons that suit me. Otherwise consider moving over to Orange or Vodafone mobile tariff with a Land Line Number attached to it but you wont get the same deal that your currently on, so more expense.

Stay away from Alpha Dial and Personal Number Companies that offer free Mobile Divert with Land Lines starting 070, 0844, 0845, 087 etc, as your customers wont thank you when they get the Bill from the Mobile or Phone Supplier.

Also a lot of Companies offer cheap Consumer VOIP Land Line Calls to your Mobile via an Phone App, problem with that is, it relies on good solid 3G Coverage and and a lot of missed calls when your in rural areas with 2G only Coverage.

If you do need to stick with T Mobile Al, why not ask them to supply you with a good Rememberal number (Silver or Gold Numbers) for a one off fee. Or find and choose another T Mobile number with your own Alpha Dial from a keyboard, ie example 07X 4 TAXI AL = 07X 4 8296 25.  ;)
« Last Edit: 18 May 2014, 13:15:48 by zirk »

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2014, 13:44:04 »

The extra expense is what I am trying to avoid... the number I have isn't bad, 079AA668100, and diverting a call from a landline doesn't guarantee getting a signal out and about anyway, so it doesn't prevent missing calls in poor reception areas, therefore of negligible benefit :-\

Need to expand my advertising area and get a website sorted first and then go from there. I can then worrry about office based facilities when I have/need an office ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.