Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed broken bolt extraction  (Read 1229 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Failed broken bolt extraction
« on: 08 February 2015, 22:29:17 »

One of the sumpgaurd mounting bolts sheared off on my 4x4 (use and age I guess).

Thought it would be an easy job as I could see a bit of it. I even got a small wire brush inside inside the box section to clean the exposed thread and then drenched it with plus gas. Then heated it up more plus gas etc etc.

I spent a painful while filing flats on the bit that is sticking out but the sides are tapered. How come no matter how careful you think you are that happens? Anyway tried various devices. mole grips, v large adjustable spanner , careful applied pressure to turn such.

I don't have any welding gear and Webby is noticeable (again) by his absence so I am off to a local garage tomorrow. If that fails I have my stud extractor set  :y but don't hold out much hope there as it is only a 12mm headed bolt (not even 13mm)
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
Re: Failed broken bolt extraction
« Reply #1 on: 08 February 2015, 22:54:30 »

not being funny but have you tightening before undoing???...of is it a right handed thread :o
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 08 February 2015, 23:00:34 »

If you can get to the back of the fixing, drill a fresh hole on the accessible side of the box, with a corresponding hole in the sump guard and refit with a fresh nut/bolt :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 February 2015, 23:09:11 »

Try a left handed drill bit  :)
Omegatitis

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 February 2015, 09:04:49 »

And do NOT use a stud extractor.

If its not come out using the usual methods you will only end up with a broken stud extractor and a bolt with a piece of hardened steel in it!

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 February 2015, 13:29:07 »

Locked up and put away stuff. headed up to the nearest village with facilities. On the way I pondered whether to use the metalworker. Skilled in welding but little else or the garage where the fellow has finesse but perhaps not such good welding skills. In the event neither was open and neither have a number on display to ring and ask "how long will you be?" That is Spain for you. Manana will always be another day. ;D ;D ;D
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 February 2015, 14:18:02 »

Locked up and put away stuff. headed up to the nearest village with facilities. On the way I pondered whether to use the metalworker. Skilled in welding but little else or the garage where the fellow has finesse but perhaps not such good welding skills. In the event neither was open and neither have a number on display to ring and ask "how long will you be?" That is Spain for you. Manana will always be another day. ;D ;D ;D

Time for a beer and a siesta then Snr Varche?  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 February 2015, 18:25:24 »

Sorry just woken up from my siesta. You must be psychic.
Anyway a neighbour reckons there is a third place which is a garage and a metalworker that I never knew about. No sign outside of course. So manana we go again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.