Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: differences between 1.9 peugeot diesel and one with intercooler  (Read 2206 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile

Anyone know anything about Peugeot diesels.?

I am looking at Suzuki Vitara 4x4's - manual with diesel 1.9. A very few in my price range also have the 2.0 HDi engine.

The vast majority have the 75 CV rated 1.9 diesel which I assume is with a turbo. A few have an intercooler too and they are rated at 90 Cv and the power difference is actually noticeable.

Is it an added complication and something to go wrong or are the intercoolers just a logical development of what I view as a bomb proof engine if it has been well maintained.? Or should I steer clear of the ones with intercoolers?

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: differences between 1.9 peugeot diesel and one with intercooler
« Reply #1 on: 30 October 2011, 10:07:25 »

I am looking at Suzuki Vitara 4x4's - manual with diesel 1.9. A very few in my price range also have the 2.0 HDi engine.

The vast majority have the 75 CV rated 1.9 diesel which I assume is with a turbo. A few have an intercooler too and they are rated at 90 Cv and the power difference is actually noticeable.

Is it an added complication and something to go wrong or are the intercoolers just a logical development of what I view as a bomb proof engine if it has been well maintained.? Or should I steer clear of the ones with intercoolers?

Is it not the case that all turbos have a charge cooler of some sort?  :-\ :-\ My diesel Astra has an air cooled charge cooler as does SWMBO's Smart Roadster (petrol turbo) whereas the Brabus 'go-faster' version has a water cooled induction .......  :-\ :-\ :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 October 2011, 10:48:44 »

Are you sure the 75CV one is turbocharged? Sounds from the power difference like it might be naturally aspirated but I'm no expert.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2011, 10:54:43 »

No I am not at all sure. I have never owned or worked on a diesel before. It is all new to me. I am also amazed at the variety between locations of things under the bonnet on same year 1.9 diesels. For example what I assume is the pump which sometimes is located on the bulkhead/scuttle and other times elsewhere not obvious.

maybe they are all normally aspirated and the more powerful engine has the intercooler bit on top (looks a bit like a V6 Omega plenum).

Do the intercoolers add a degree of something else that might go wrong?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 October 2011, 11:02:34 »

The intercooler is there to lose the extra heat that is imparted to the intake air as it is compressed in the turbo, so a naturally aspirated car doesn't need one. An intercooler itself is very reliable but if the choice is between a turbo and a naturally aspirated engine you could argue that the turbocharger is something else to go wrong. If you don't need the extra power.

To figure out what you're looking at, follow the intake ducting from the air filter. If it goes pretty much straight into the intake side of the engine, it's not turbocharged. If it goes into a snail-shaped device device on the exhaust side then across to the intake side, perhaps via an intercooler it's turbocharged.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 October 2011, 11:08:31 »

The PSA 1.9XUD lump came in 2 variants. Non turbo = 71Bhp,  Turbo = 92Bhp. The only issue they have is head gasket if you don't keep an eye on cooling fan etc. I had a BX 1.9D company car nearly 20 yrs ago. It had been thrashed up to 65,000 miles when i got it..........so I proceeded to thrash it up to 141,000 miles when it went back - never missed a beat. Good old lumps :y
Those are my principles, if you don't like them I have others.

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 October 2011, 11:26:14 »

Forgot to add that there were a lot of Turbo powered BX's which were equally thrashed. The company moved onto Xantia after that, both with and without turbo's. These still gave next to no engine trouble with similar mileages. The faults most of us had were with the hydraulic suspension which is well documented.

If i could find a nice BX diesel today for a work car then i would have it in a flash.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 October 2011, 13:28:05 »

Agreed as to the bullet proof BX engines, I had both turbo and non turbo models, I think the engine type was XUD, and was also fitted to Pugs which SWMBO had. Never had any problems with these engines :y

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 30 October 2011, 13:31:46 »

I had a pug 1.9 diesel before the Omega diesel, quite possibly the slowest car I have ever, ever driven.. however it was very frugal and took rather a lot of abuse - at least up until a core plug disintegrated (probably as a result of poor coolant maintenance over it's life).

I would imagine the turbo lump would be a much, much nicer drive..

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #9 on: 30 October 2011, 13:33:42 »

just for balance....   

my dad blew up a TD BX , and a TD Xantia....    has since sworn off Citroen for life, having been a long time buyer of such things....     (i remember a Cx ,  and  a GS, in my youth as well )

mind you his taste seems to have got worse, he's now driving a Focus.

he's always liked traveling in my 6 pot Vx's ,  loved his time in my Sennie when i got him to drive me around for a few days....    but never bought one himself.....  i mean,   you can lead a horse to water and all that..... but......

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

sticka_v8_init

• Reading
    • 2.5 V6 Tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2011, 15:30:28 »

Agreed as to the bullet proof BX engines, I had both turbo and non turbo models, I think the engine type was XUD, and was also fitted to Pugs which SWMBO had. Never had any problems with these engines :y

As per my other post, your right! The PSA XUD 1.9 engine was shared by Citroen & Peugeot. They only stopped using the 1.9D about 4 years ago in the Citroen Berlingo & Peugeot Partner. Shows how good they were..about a 20year production run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 18 queries.