Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: induction kits  (Read 2942 times)

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
Re: induction kits
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2009, 22:34:30 »

What size pipe(ID) did you use Steve?

Did you attach it to the grill to left of the D/S foglamp?
« Last Edit: 11 April 2009, 22:44:11 by scooby »

steverubberduck

• Kidderminster
  • MV6 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2009, 22:36:32 »

yeah, it went from the airbox to the o/s (drivers) lower grill (foglight).
Can't remember the size off hand, but it's about 75mm diameter.

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2009, 22:45:49 »

Thanks Steve, noticed i put N/S ,meant D/S, changed now ::).

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 April 2009, 13:47:09 »

Induction kits vary in performance depending on the car fitted and where they are mounted within the engine bay.

On a V6 Omega they are useless as a standard replacement because the engine bay gets too hot due to poor air circulation and the fact the filter is right behind the headlight so no cool air coming from the front. This can however be rectified by modifying the existing air box too house a cone filter inside and then bin the standard air intake and replace it with a bigger one this will give a pretty good increase in power probs around 4 or 5 %.

The viper induction kit already mentioned works well but is pricey.

On the whole in most circumstances a good induction kit will give much better performance than  the standard set up. I gained 9 bhp on my alfa sportwagon by fitting a K&N kit.

Ignore all the pish about the car makers tuning engines for best results, there all tuned to keep the bill oddies happy and save the planet not too give best performance. Most modern cars can gain upto 20% power with out changing any engine parts by simply making them breath freely with an exhaust, induction Kit and remap.
Sorry, I have to disagree.

The Omega's standard setup includes a huge surface area air filter (esp if you use a GM filter, rather than pattern), with a cold air feed.

Aftermarket panel filters are too restrictive on Omega, and tend to DECREASE peak bhp by around 2.5-5%.  Cones are worse in this respect, but some people like the noise.

Anyone claiming a performance increase, inc rolling road tests doen on the same day, its more than likely removing a very dirty, old air filter, and comapring that against a new filter setup, which isn't a fair test.  Much like those who claim the 'aero' style wipers work better than the old ones they took off (and where worn out, hence replacement) ;)
Grumpy old man

steverubberduck

• Kidderminster
  • MV6 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 April 2009, 15:57:34 »

Induction kits vary in performance depending on the car fitted and where they are mounted within the engine bay.

On a V6 Omega they are useless as a standard replacement because the engine bay gets too hot due to poor air circulation and the fact the filter is right behind the headlight so no cool air coming from the front. This can however be rectified by modifying the existing air box too house a cone filter inside and then bin the standard air intake and replace it with a bigger one this will give a pretty good increase in power probs around 4 or 5 %.

On the whole in most circumstances a good induction kit will give much better performance than  the standard set up. I gained 9 bhp on my alfa sportwagon by fitting a K&N kit.

Ignore all the pish about the car makers tuning engines for best results, there all tuned to keep the bill oddies happy and save the planet not too give best performance. Most modern cars can gain upto 20% power with out changing any engine parts by simply making them breath freely with an exhaust, induction Kit and remap.

The Omega's standard setup includes a huge surface area air filter (esp if you use a GM filter, rather than pattern), with a cold air feed.

Aftermarket panel filters are too restrictive on Omega, and tend to DECREASE peak bhp by around 2.5-5%.  Cones are worse in this respect, but some people like the noise.

Anyone claiming a performance increase, inc rolling road tests doen on the same day, its more than likely removing a very dirty, old air filter, and comapring that against a new filter setup, which isn't a fair test.  Much like those who claim the 'aero' style wipers work better than the old ones they took off (and where worn out, hence replacement) ;)
[size=12]I agree with "theboy", but the only one i can't give an opinion on is the viper, never had one as they are soo expensive.
The only way i have found to increase power is to keep the original air intake, with a pipercross panel filter(doesn't have to be Pipercross), and a direct air feed into it, straight from the lower grill, not where the standard vx pipe comes from, as the standard one is a lot smaller, and the intake seems to be at the wrong angle, or it was in my car.[/size]

steverubberduck

• Kidderminster
  • MV6 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 April 2009, 20:57:16 »

Thanks Steve, noticed i put N/S ,meant D/S, changed now ::).
I'll try and get some pics up on the weekend, as i have got to fit a funnel to my lower grill, so will try and get a couple for you...
 :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 April 2009, 21:05:13 »

Agreed. And there are plenty of ways to fiddle the compensated losses on a rolling road to show what a great tuning job has just been carried out when in reality it has done nothing!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 April 2009, 21:14:44 »

When I had the Prelude I fitted a BMC CDA induction kit (the trick being to get it to draw in cold air from outside not the engine warmed air from under the bonnet) and, I have to say, there did seem to be a small (4bhp) gain as I had it dyno-ed at different points during some of the mods. Most induction kits just sound as if youve got more power but, really , do nothing. As for claims of 8-10 extra horses thats just cr*p. Most impressive mod I did in terms of money spent in relation to power gained was fitting the dastek unichip that took it from 168 (at the wheel, not the fly) to 183 in conjunction with the CDA kit. :y

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 April 2009, 21:29:18 »

In general the first ports of call for any engine power increase is free up breathing which means changing the induction and exhaust items. Obviously the better the air feed the better a cone filter will work, cheap ebay ones are rubbish and no better than a standard filter as they tend to use the same sort of paper eliment however if you pay the difference for a quality item like K&N (personally I wouldn't have any other) you get far better air flow through it.
Like already stated the V6 omega is a bad example because the heat in the engine bay is higher than most cars due to poor air flow through it and there for a basic cone would suck in hot air also there is far too much pipework between the filter and throttlebody a nice straight hose would be much better. Fit the same filter with a heat shield and a good cold air feed and it would perform better than standard.

Companies like K&N, Pipercross etc invest millions to make sure of this where as manufacturers choke them all up too make sure they pass emmissions laws.

Sometimes you need a big cone to do the job.

« Last Edit: 15 April 2009, 21:29:49 by jemis »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 April 2009, 22:43:07 »

Companies like K&N, Pipercross etc invest millions to make sure of this where as manufacturers choke them all up too make sure they pass emmissions laws.

Manufacturers certainly do have to be conservative in some areas of engine tune these days but there's not much to be gained in emissions terms by strangling the engine at the air filter IMHO.

Conservative cams, smaller valves, smaller port and manifold diameters yes, but once they have an engine that meets the relevant emissions criteria they will make pretty sure it doesn't look gutless on the spec sheets compared to its' rivals for want of another 50p spent on the air filter.

The cynic in me says that the likes of K&N are not selling big valve conversions, cams and head porting so they are bound to say that the air filter is key. ;)

In addition, OEM air filters are designed for long service intervals (40k miles on an Omega IIRC) so that also means a more generous filter is required.

In my experience getting the coolest intake charge possible is at the top of the list. I once rebuilt an engine on a previous car and afterwards it went very nicely when cold but as soon as the temperature hit mid-gauge there was a sudden, noticeable drop in performance.

It turned out that a section of air intake duct between the air intake and airbox had come slightly adrift meaning that there was a small gap allowing air from the engine bay to get into the intake. As soon as the thermostat opened the radiator heated up the underbonnet air and power took a dive. I would avoid taking intake air from anywhere behind the radiator on any car.

So, add an induction kit if you must but don't expect a noticeable difference in power and don't compromise on the cold air feed.

I would love to run an Omega on the rollers with and without the standard air filter one of these days. I suspect it would make no difference.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 April 2009, 23:45:47 »

I think some of these claims are a little ambitious :-?

jemis

• Teesside
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 April 2009, 00:44:39 »

Ambitious in what way My alfa produced 163.8 bhp on the rollers which is just shy of 9bhp from standard 155bhp stated by alfa.
I don't know exactly what it produced before but the car pulls better up the revs since it was fitted.

I once had 238 bhp from 24v carlton gsi just by removing the cats, fitting a stainless system and polishing the intake system then set up on the rolling road.

I once tuned a 16v golf to 180bhp by swapping the injection sysytem for twin 48 webber carbs this was followed by a mk1 gti with 225bhp usuing a g60 motor with uprated charger pulleys.

My second car 20 years ago was a mini with 109 bhp from an a series engine and straight cut gearbox.

I've had a 200bhp capri 2.0s.

My cosworth is currently running about 420bhp but is capable of running upto 600.

These are just a few, its fair to say I have tuned more cars than most people have owned.

When it comes to tuning a car its all down to whats best for that car not whats best in general but in the case of the omega when it comes to tuning the V6 is rubbish the 2.0 is more tunable.

I'm not trying to argue with people here but the whole principle of engine power starts with getting as much air an fuel in and exhuast gases out as fast as possible.

Cars and playing about with them has been my hobby for over 25 years, this thread started with someone asking for advice about induction kits and I gave my opinion which does involve some backing with having fitted quite a few to variuos vehicles.

People how have not tried them should relise there is alot more too them than making a saxo sound louder and in general they do work well, but like I said from my first input the omega is not the car for it.

Richard148

• solihull. w,mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 April 2009, 01:18:39 »

Ambitious in what way My alfa produced 163.8 bhp on the rollers which is just shy of 9bhp from standard 155bhp stated by alfa.
I don't know exactly what it produced before but the car pulls better up the revs since it was fitted.

I once had 238 bhp from 24v carlton gsi just by removing the cats, fitting a stainless system and polishing the intake system then set up on the rolling road.

I once tuned a 16v golf to 180bhp by swapping the injection sysytem for twin 48 webber carbs this was followed by a mk1 gti with 225bhp usuing a g60 motor with uprated charger pulleys.

My second car 20 years ago was a mini with 109 bhp from an a series engine and straight cut gearbox.

I've had a 200bhp capri 2.0s.

My cosworth is currently running about 420bhp but is capable of running upto 600.

These are just a few, its fair to say I have tuned more cars than most people have owned.

When it comes to tuning a car its all down to whats best for that car not whats best in general but in the case of the omega when it comes to tuning the V6 is rubbish the 2.0 is more tunable.

I'm not trying to argue with people here but the whole principle of engine power starts with getting as much air an fuel in and exhuast gases out as fast as possible.

Cars and playing about with them has been my hobby for over 25 years, this thread started with someone asking for advice about induction kits and I gave my opinion which does involve some backing with having fitted quite a few to variuos vehicles.

People how have not tried them should relise there is alot more too them than making a saxo sound louder and in general they do work well, but like I said from my first input the omega is not the car for it.
so it isnt just a change of induction then is it there are many mods you have done to increase your bhp :D

si vaux

• Bangor, North Wales
  • Why is nothing ever easy??????
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 April 2009, 01:38:55 »

another exampleof this was one of my first cars going back only 10 years was a Cavalier Sorry but I was a complete boy racer with my 1.8 8v with vinalsand gorgeous 18'' 5 spokes, lol. Had a sensible custom stainless exhaust fitted, Direct cold air feed and final thing was KnN filter with heat shield although only bit of scrap ali plate did work and can honestly say that all together worked well but singularly didn't notice hardly any difference good or bad. Each to their own I think, and it must be remembered that Every car is different.
Can somebody point out that it's called North Wales for a reason, lol. Every one of my southern friends always says "How do you fancy coming up to see us or well come down to you." NORTH means up. DOGH!!!!

si vaux

• Bangor, North Wales
  • Why is nothing ever easy??????
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2009, 01:43:16 »

P.S. Jemis, am loving the pic of the cosy fella, VERY nice.
Can somebody point out that it's called North Wales for a reason, lol. Every one of my southern friends always says "How do you fancy coming up to see us or well come down to you." NORTH means up. DOGH!!!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.