Author Topic: iPhone  (Read 2087 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
iPhone
« on: 20 February 2013, 19:51:29 »

Well I'm thinking of taking the plunge on an iPhone pay monthly.

I know I could read generic reviews online.. but... what do you guys think of them? Any advice on 4/4s/5 and what a good contract deal would be?

It's a minefield, and phones are not my thing... but I'm getting very frustrated with my old samsung.

Opinions all welcome :) :y

STMO123

Re: iPhone
« Reply #1 on: 20 February 2013, 19:54:35 »

Gay.

martin42

« Reply #2 on: 20 February 2013, 19:58:03 »

very gay  :y :y :y

STMO123

« Reply #3 on: 20 February 2013, 19:58:53 »

very gay  :y :y :y
That's  gay: 100% so far.

STMO123

« Reply #4 on: 20 February 2013, 20:00:10 »

Gixer will be on to recommend it soon. But.....we all know why. Gay.

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 20 February 2013, 20:05:55 »

Gay as...

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 February 2013, 20:08:12 »

Going by the finger trouble he's had with his phone tonight, and knowing his present whereabouts and company ... it may be a while until he responds .....  :)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 February 2013, 20:08:46 »

I have a 4s, she has my old 4.

I'm happy with it, makes calls, sends texts, as well as having full OS mapping on it and a useable free satnav, makes it handy for my current job.

For my lifestyle, it works well and I have no issues with it.

But each to their own.

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #8 on: 20 February 2013, 20:15:07 »

I currently have a iPhone 5 32GB have owned it  a few months and before that a 4S 16GB before that a 4 16GB... And to be honest I don't find much difference apart from the screen size and its design from the 4S and 5 and if the 4S is significantly cheaper go for the 4S... But if there isn't much in it (price wize) go for the 5  :)

STMO123

« Reply #9 on: 20 February 2013, 20:16:48 »

Going by the finger trouble he's had with his phone tonight, and knowing his present whereabouts and company ... it may be a while until he responds .....  :)
Finger trouble you say?  :-X

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 February 2013, 20:17:47 »

Due to business pressures from the Company I have sub,d to for the past 19 years I had little option but to go IPhone. >:(

Upgraded my current old trusty Nokia to an IPhone 5. 8)

When I first got it I was unsure about many things from the size/many features and general appearance.I have now been using it for 2 weeks now and I am still finding my way around it although it has been quite usefull although I am still convinced it is vastly "over engineered " for my general requirements as I am very "un- techy ". :D

For somebody who wants the latest phone with the most functions then I would say its great but I cant see I will ever use it to its full ability therefore my only advise is give it a try if you like lots of gadgets..personally I find it all time consuming. ::)

Rog

« Reply #11 on: 20 February 2013, 21:09:22 »

If you've never had any kind of smartphone before, get ready for needing to recharge every day. This is any smartphone, not just iPhone.

My daughter has an iPhone, almost 2 years now. No problem. Me ? no thanks a bit ummmm gay  :-X

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 February 2013, 21:14:42 »

I had a 4s work phone, broke the screen in 4 hours so waiting on a replacement.

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #13 on: 20 February 2013, 21:30:41 »

If you've never had any kind of smartphone before, get ready for needing to recharge every day. This is any smartphone, not just iPhone.

My daughter has an iPhone, almost 2 years now. No problem. Me ? no thanks a bit ummmm gay :-X
I don't know what the problem with (almost everybody) regarding calling (any) Smartphones gay, It's an amazing leap forward from say a Nokia 3310 (which i did own one at a point many moons ago) Yes some Smartphones cost around the £500 mark and some cost more or less either way they are a very useful (multipurpose tool) a device not just for calls...

Put it this way. Say there wasn't any Smartphones or tablets around and you needed the functions that most Smartphones have, ( the most basic function of any phone a Phone for calls,texts etc.... And a Camere, Internet access, Email, an appointment/calender reminder, Something to pass the time on a train say games, eBooks, newspaper apps, eBay app etc., and many more things which others use)

Granted Battery life is poor, But for most phones there are battery packs or some phones have replaceable batteries.

The point I'm trying to make is you'd have to have several devices or books etc., in a briefcase or something but with a Smartphone has all that and fits in your pocket. If that's Gay well then I'm Gay.  :)

STMO123

« Reply #14 on: 20 February 2013, 21:34:03 »

You're missing the point. Iphones are gay. Other brands are not gay.

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #15 on: 20 February 2013, 21:41:49 »

That's just like Ford owners calling Vauxhall owners Gay or vice versa. There's no need for it.. Yes I know apple has ridiculous restrictions (Bluetooth and Flash being two of them) But overall they are simple and efficient to use and very well put together IMO. Android are more flexible and do everything an iPhone can do I'm sure and more but I just can't get on with them the last one being a Samsung S2 (So far, maybe the next Gen will be more user friendly who knows).
« Last Edit: 20 February 2013, 21:43:40 by OmegaMan2.2 »

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 February 2013, 22:00:02 »

If you've not used a five for any length of time, and the deals are a lot better on the four s, then go for that.  If you've lived with a 5 for a while the 4 seems too small afterwards.

Battery life on any modern smartphone is about a day.
Any modern smartphone will have an acceptable camera, most apps you'd ever want, and a nice screen.

Android phones allow more customisation
iPhones are better with email (exchange email anyway)

If you just want something you can pick up and use, and does what it says on the tin, then IMO, go for a 4 or 4s on as short a contract as possible, as in 6 months or so there'll prob be another iPhone out.

It's rumoured there may be a cheaper version out soon too.

Basically an iPhone 5 internals, in an iPod touch body........will cost less, so may be worth holding off for a while.

After the initial month of new fangledness and whatnot has worn off you'll find you use it for calls, texts, email, and reading the oof on the toilet, so go for the best deal, and not the shiniest phone.

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 20 February 2013, 22:03:51 »

Also, factor in £10-20 for a good case and some screen protection, whatever phone you go for, or a few pound a month for insurance.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 February 2013, 22:16:24 »

Very good, I've got a 5, like it a lot, the bigger screen is better than the 4/4s too  :y. Although I had a 4 and was very happy with that  :).
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

feeutfo

« Reply #19 on: 20 February 2013, 22:52:02 »

Hmm?

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 20 February 2013, 22:57:07 »

Hmm?

So why do you text me and invite me to a curry ... when you are trying to contact someone very much closer (10 minutes away) and I'm 60 odd miles away !!!

Thanks for the invite however !!!!  :)

Finger trouble with a gayphone ...  :)

Turk

• Omega Baron
  • Llanelli, Wales
    • 2.5td, H-D XL1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21 February 2013, 00:01:44 »

Only a biker truly understands why a dog sticks it's head out of the window of a moving car.

feeutfo

« Reply #22 on: 21 February 2013, 00:10:00 »

Hmm?

So why do you text me and invite me to a curry ... when you are trying to contact someone very much closer (10 minutes away) and I'm 60 odd miles away !!!

I used an old conversation that was a group text. ::)

OmegaAnglesey

« Reply #23 on: 21 February 2013, 00:39:53 »

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 21 February 2013, 06:53:21 »

Btw. Where's Martian these days?

Rog

« Reply #25 on: 21 February 2013, 08:52:13 »

f you'll find you use it for calls, texts, email, and reading the oof on the toilet, so go for the best deal, and not the shiniest phone.

Someone else does that as well as me ? Hang on just a moment .  .  .  .  .   :o     Ha thats better . . .  :y

STMO123

« Reply #26 on: 21 February 2013, 09:08:10 »

f you'll find you use it for calls, texts, email, and reading the oof on the toilet, so go for the best deal, and not the shiniest phone.

Someone else does that as well as me ? Hang on just a moment .  .  .  .  .   :o     Ha thats better . . .  :y

;D ;D

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 21 February 2013, 09:34:26 »

Hmm?

So .. how many folks did you invite for the curry ?? .. wish I'd known .. could have been a good meet  :)  (especially if you were paying ...........  :)  )

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 21 February 2013, 09:42:53 »

Hmm?

So .. how many folks did you invite for the curry ?? .. wish I'd known .. could have been a good meet  :)  (especially if you were paying ...........  :)  )

I got an invite ;) Of course I read it at 7.30 .. which was a tad late to get there for 7.30 >:(

If I keep missing them Chris is going to stop inviting me, isn't he.. ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 21 February 2013, 09:50:25 »

ESP if I'm paying. I don't want to give you all too much notice now do I. ;D :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 21 February 2013, 10:21:16 »

My advice, ask yourself what you are going to use it for.

If its a bit FB, calls, basic internet and email then any smart phone will fit the bill there.

The big issue for me is the iphone cost, its not cheap and monthly cost is considerably higher than many other options.

We use them at work because:

1) Blackberry are past it and may well not exist shortly (although were an option up until the end of last year)

2) Integrated email/appointments etc

3) 4s is used as we have some custom apps which have not been re-written to support the 5

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 February 2013, 11:30:12 »

Darn! Nobody told me you were paying. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #32 on: 21 February 2013, 15:10:13 »

Darn! Nobody told me you were paying. >:(
Shhhh not so loud. ::) ;)

feeutfo

« Reply #33 on: 21 February 2013, 15:13:20 »

My advice, ask yourself what you are going to use it for.

If its a bit FB, calls, basic internet and email then any smart phone will fit the bill there.

The big issue for me is the iphone cost, its not cheap and monthly cost is considerably higher than many other options.

We use them at work because:

1) Blackberry are past it and may well not exist shortly (although were an option up until the end of last year)

2) Integrated email/appointments etc

3) 4s is used as we have some custom apps which have not been re-written to support the 5

As i was advised by the Groomer, all roads do lead to the gay crApple form over function device. They just do. :)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 February 2013, 15:41:14 »

As i was advised by the Groomer, all roads do lead to the gay crApple form over function device. They just do. :)

Unless you want to use it to talk to someone (odd, I know). I find the audio quality from my colleague's one barely possible to comprehend, even when he has a perfect signal.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #35 on: 21 February 2013, 15:54:30 »

Unless you want to use it to talk to someone (odd, I know). I find the audio quality from my colleague's one barely possible to comprehend, even when he has a perfect signal.
The 5 is much better. ...although I didn't notice a real problem on the 4 tbh.
However, the phone application is truly appalling. 02 don't allow free 0800 numbers, and have an automated message asking to re dial using  800/without the zero. On any other phone you can edit the number by moving the curser to the start of the number and just delete the zero. But no, not the iPhone. You have to delete each digit and start again. Rubbish.

Good job i don't use the phone much. ::)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 February 2013, 16:04:01 »

Not for personal use...  ;D ;D ;D :y

Unless somebody can find me one for sub18 a month with my current call/data package

ozzycat

• Omega Baron
  • chudliegh knighton /devon
    • hyundia i30
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 February 2013, 18:03:07 »

ooooooh suit you sir :D :D :D
this is a great forum lets not spoil it
long live the magic tree
its good to be back

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 February 2013, 18:43:16 »

I've had my (gay) iPhone 3GS for well over 3 years now. It does what I need it to do, and it does it better than any other phone, with the exception of newer/faster iPhones.

Its robust - although I have had to order yet another new case where its lost an argument with a desk partition, and it does not sport a crack in the iPhones case, and a chunk out of the screen ;D - functional, reliable and easy to use.

As things stand right now, if I had to replace it, it would be a gayPhone 5, as the 4S is too expensive for older technology. Android is the only viable alternative (RIM are dead, and MS are not getting the traction), but there is no usable email/PIM available for that platform without giving an Ad company full rights to your world.

I tend to buy my smartphones outright, and use a very cheap (free ::)) tariff which is 250mins/unlimit text/1Gb data on the O2 network.  I don't really use it too much for work, as work provide me with a Vodafone SIM, which is pretty useless around these parts, so its on permement divert, and left in the drawer ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 February 2013, 18:51:25 »

My biggest complaint is that it is intrinsically tied to iTunes, which under Windows is truely abysmal. If you're really gay, and have a Mac, then its not so bad.

I've been through most smartphones (and not-so-smart, like Nokia N series), having been an early adopter 10yrs ago. gayPhone aside (and a 15 month love affair with an HTC WM5, until it broke), never kept any more than a few months, as I couldn't live with them.

crApple are the scum of the earth, along with Google, but the iPhone just does what it claims. Even if it is very gay.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.