Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: JLS  (Read 2922 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

JLS
« on: 24 April 2013, 18:56:00 »

JLS,the boy band, are breaking up! :'( :'( :'(

Why is it now that no group stays together like the old ones did, like the Beatles, Stones, The Who, Status Quo, etc, etc?

A case of too much money and fame too quickly?  I wonder ;)

cleggy

Re: JLS
« Reply #1 on: 24 April 2013, 19:02:46 »

Because they're crap ::) don't write their own songs and are manipulated by the industry. Boy Bands my arse

If you want real harmony and originality  Four Tops, Temptations etc Levi Stubbs and David Ruffin.... SUBLIME TALENT :y :y :y :y

jerry

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 April 2013, 19:04:19 »

come on now Lizzie, are you really comparing the likes of JLS (or Just a Load of S*** as some of us oldies may refer to them ;D) and No Direction to the Stones and the Beatles? As for the longevity bit, well the Beatles only ran for about 8yrs proper from 1962-69 and as for the Stones or Bowie, Im not sure that longevity is really such a good thing :-\ :y

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 April 2013, 19:24:25 »

Why is it now that no group stays together like the old ones did, like the Beatles, Stones, The Who, Status Quo, etc, etc?

Look at you with your boy bands.

There done lizzie  :y Its time for you plan B  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

omega3000

« Reply #4 on: 24 April 2013, 19:33:50 »

Woohoo thank god for that  ;D ;D ;)

SteveAvfc.

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • Mv6 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2013, 19:40:52 »

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If you work and do your best you get the sack just like the rest.

hercules

• Omega Knight
  • sunnyudders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2013, 19:47:43 »

RIDDANCE

dazzerM

• Reading
  • Mokka 1.7CDTI, BMW 120D Shadow (It’s a work car)
    • Which ones closest
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 April 2013, 20:03:54 »

Obviously milked the cash cow for all its worth now off to count their winnings  :D ;D
Darren

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #8 on: 24 April 2013, 20:16:01 »

come on now Lizzie, are you really comparing the likes of JLS (or Just a Load of S*** as some of us oldies may refer to them ;D) and No Direction to the Stones and the Beatles? As for the longevity bit, well the Beatles only ran for about 8yrs proper from 1962-69 and as for the Stones or Bowie, Im not sure that longevity is really such a good thing :-\ :y

No I am certainly not! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

But JLS and their like are the closest modern youngsters will ever get to seeing contemporary "greats", poor souls!

The other point is that the old great groups went through a form of 'apprentiship', travelling around in battered vans and going from one dodgy venue to another, with a little sex, violence and rock 'n' roll.  The Beatles, after going through various changes of identity and personnel mix from The Quarrymen in 1957, appeared near to their final line up in August 1960, and just kept going until 1970. Who of the current "pop stars" go through that artistic development?

When modern groups go, I agree that they are 'a product' that has reached it's shelf life and run out of ideas! ::) ::) ;)

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #9 on: 24 April 2013, 20:37:09 »

But JLS and their like are the closest modern youngsters will ever get to seeing contemporary "greats", poor souls!

The other point is that the old great groups went through a form of 'apprentiship', travelling around in battered vans and going from one dodgy venue to another, with lots of sex, violence, drugs and rock 'n' roll.  The Beatles, after going through various changes of identity and personnel mix from The Quarrymen in 1957, appeared near to their final line up in August 1960, and just kept going until 1970. Who of the current "pop stars" go through that artistic development?

When modern groups go, I agree that they are 'a product' that has reached it's shelf life and run out of ideas! ::) ::) ;)

Fixed that for you Lizzie  ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

martin42

« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2013, 21:31:08 »

they will get back together in a few years when the money runs out  ;D ;D ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2013, 21:32:45 »

they will get back together in a few years when the money runs out  ;D ;D ;D

Apparently they made £6 million each ........  ??? ??? ???

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 April 2013, 21:49:36 »

Spotted it on GMTV first thing and was dreading telling my 10 yr old JLS obsessed daughter when she got up,she was quite level headed about it but she really, really loves JB apparently  :o
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 April 2013, 23:09:20 »

Won't be missed one iota by me.  manufactured garbage.  >:( >:(

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #14 on: 25 April 2013, 09:46:46 »

The other point is that the old great groups went through a form of 'apprentiship', travelling around in battered vans and going from one dodgy venue to another, with lots of sex, violence, drugs and rock 'n' roll.  The Beatles, after going through various changes of identity and personnel mix from The Quarrymen in 1957, appeared near to their final line up in August 1960, and just kept going until 1970. Who of the current "pop stars" go through that artistic development?

Fixed that for you Lizzie  ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 April 2013, 09:59:15 »

I think Lizzie's comparison of JLS to The Beatles is a good one, after all The Beatles were the original boy band, weren't they??  :-\  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 April 2013, 10:08:20 »

I think Lizzie's comparison of JLS to The Beatles is a good one, after all The Beatles were the original boy band, weren't they??  :-\  :)

A few subtle differences though .... Beatles wrote their own music, played their own instruments, and started as a "local" band doing gigs in halls and pubs ...  in other words they learned their craft ..

JLS a "made" band who relied on producers and technicians to tell them what to do and when.

IMHO no comparison as musicians, perhaps as entertainers, but that's a different matter .. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 25 April 2013, 10:22:23 »

Who :-\

omega3000

« Reply #18 on: 25 April 2013, 11:23:18 »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #19 on: 25 April 2013, 12:50:13 »

A few subtle differences though .... Beatles wrote their own music, played their own instruments, and started as a "local" band doing gigs in halls and pubs ...  in other words they learned their craft ..

JLS a "made" band who relied on producers and technicians to tell them what to do and when.

IMHO no comparison as musicians, perhaps as entertainers, but that's a different matter .. :)

I agree Entwood.  I would also add that The Monkeys, who were introduced to the music scene by the Americans as their answer to The Beatles, were very much a "made" band in the very same way as JLS , but at least The Monkeys (almost) played their own instruments! ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

cleggy

« Reply #20 on: 25 April 2013, 13:38:34 »

I agree Entwood.  I would also add that The Monkeys, who were introduced to the music scene by the Americans as their answer to The Beatles, were very much a "made" band in the very same way as JLS , but at least The Monkeys (almost) played their own instruments! [/highlight] ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

The first man made boy band who didn't play any instruments on the recordings in fact the vocals were IMOH down in the main backing singers, bloody good writers though Boyce & Hart.

Pretty little boys made for pubescent little girls to waste their money >:( >:( >:( Absolute CRAP
« Last Edit: 25 April 2013, 13:49:14 by Cleggy »

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #21 on: 25 April 2013, 13:41:30 »

I agree Entwood.  I would also add that The Monkeys, who were introduced to the music scene by the Americans as their answer to The Beatles, were very much a "made" band in the very same way as JLS , but at least The Monkeys (almost) played their own instruments! [/highlight] ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :y :y

The first man made boy band who didn't any instruments on the recordings in fact the vocals were IMOH down in the main backing singers.

Pretty little boys made for pubescent little girls to waste their money >:( >:( >:( Absolute CRAP

Ah, Cleggy, Davy Jones was cute (and British)! :( :( ;D ;D ;D ;)

I was a Beatles No.1 fan from 1963 so I know what you mean! :D :D :y :y

Paul and John were gorgeous :-* :-* :-* :-* 8) 8) 8) :y :y :D :D

cleggy

« Reply #22 on: 25 April 2013, 13:43:43 »

The first man made boy band who didn't any instruments on the recordings in fact the vocals were IMOH down in the main backing singers.

Lizzie I saw them at Bradford Gaumont in 1964 where a brilliant Mary Wells was the second on the bill. :y :y :y :y

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 April 2013, 13:46:35 »

The Monkeys were originally never intended to be a "pop group" as we define one .. they were manufactured purely for the TV show they were part of ... a TV show about a fictitious pop group. It was only when the american public started demanding to buy the tracks played on the TV show that the group entered the "pop world" rather than the "acting world".

Yes - manufactured, Yes - rubbish, but for totally different reasons to the "modern" manufactured rubbish

As described on Wikipaedia ..

"Described by band member Micky Dolenz as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band that wanted to be The Beatles, but that was never successful", the actor-musicians soon became a real band. As Dolenz would later describe it, "The Monkees really becoming a band was like the equivalent of Leonard Nimoy really becoming a Vulcan."

:) :) :)

cleggy

« Reply #24 on: 25 April 2013, 13:50:51 »

The Monkeys were originally never intended to be a "pop group" as we define one .. they were manufactured purely for the TV show they were part of ... a TV show about a fictitious pop group. It was only when the american public started demanding to buy the tracks played on the TV show that the group entered the "pop world" rather than the "acting world".

Yes - manufactured, Yes - rubbish, but for totally different reasons to the "modern" manufactured rubbish

"Described by band member Micky Dolenz as initially being "a TV show about an imaginary band that wanted to be The Beatles, but that was never successful", the actor-musicians soon became a real band. As Dolenz would later describe it, "The Monkees really becoming a band was like the equivalent of Leonard Nimoy really becoming a Vulcan."

Ah the circus boy and Ena's grandson  ;) I thought he was a Vulcan ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #25 on: 25 April 2013, 14:19:00 »

Lizzie I saw them at Bradford Gaumont in 1964 where a brilliant Mary Wells was the second on the bill. :y :y :y :y

I am jealous!  I was in Malta then! :'( :'(

I once saw Paul and Linda in about 1972, but never, much to me shame, managed to get to a live Beatles performance :'( :'( :'( :'(

:y :y

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #26 on: 25 April 2013, 14:20:27 »

That is a very accurate description Nigel :y :y

cleggy

« Reply #27 on: 25 April 2013, 14:29:18 »

This applies to all of todays manufactured groups:-

Pretty little boys made for pubescent little girls to waste their money Absolute CRAP >:( >:( >:( >:(
OR
Sexy little girls made for hormonal teenage boys to waste their money and energy on ::)  Absolute CRAP >:( >:( >:( >:(

They are an insult to proper muscians learning their craft the hard way, who are so much better :y

05omegav6

« Reply #28 on: 25 April 2013, 15:46:32 »

The Beach Boys, and Brian Wilson in particular, were creating actual proper original music when the Quarrymen were still performing really poor covers of The Rock Island Line ::)

Never been much of a Beatles fan me  ;D

cleggy

« Reply #29 on: 25 April 2013, 16:09:58 »

Slightly biased view there, The Beach Boys fist single was released in October 1962 with the Beatles only  a few months behind in March 1963.

So I would like to say that they were equal in terms on recording and pre recording days, with the Beatles being formed earlier in 1960 and the Beach Boys in 1961 ( although they were a family) greatly influenced by Jan & Dean

I like both, very talented  unlike the dross produced today :y
« Last Edit: 25 April 2013, 16:12:42 by Cleggy »

BridgeyBoy

• St Helens, Merseyside
    • Omega 3.0 Elite Estate Au
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 April 2013, 16:27:43 »

There are dozens more bands who do stay together and make incredible music for every JLS that splits up. There are certainly 'equivalents' to the stones or the who now...Pearl Jam, Metallica etc

The music industry has always had a mix of serious artists, one hit wonders and novelty acts... Nothing has changed.

Even in the 60s there were pop dross bands that cashed in then disapeared.

cleggy

« Reply #31 on: 25 April 2013, 16:35:55 »

There are dozens more bands who do stay together and make incredible music for every JLS that splits up. There are certainly 'equivalents' to the stones or the who now...Pearl Jam, Metallica etc

The music industry has always had a mix of serious artists, one hit wonders and novelty acts... Nothing has changed.

Even in the 60s there were pop dross bands that cashed in then disapeared.

You're certainly not wrong there ;D ;D ;D I'm just oo old to remember  ;);D ;D

'Later With Jools Holland' throws up some amazing talent  :y :y who don't get money thrown at them for promotion them by the industry. Then again do they or we want them to ???

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #32 on: 25 April 2013, 17:12:14 »

Slightly biased view there, The Beach Boys fist single was released in October 1962 with the Beatles only  a few months behind in March 1963.

So I would like to say that they were equal in terms on recording and pre recording days, with the Beatles being formed earlier in 1960 and the Beach Boys in 1961 ( although they were a family) greatly influenced by Jan & Dean

I like both, very talented  unlike the dross produced today :y

Yes, and I would emphasis that The Quarry Men were formed in March 1957, and by the next year comprised of six members who included John, Paul and George. So you can say The Beatles actually started then, albeit as a skiffle group that then, under Paul influence, turned more and more to rock 'n' roll numbers.  They then progressed through a series of band name changes (From Jan 1960 to August 1960), including The Beatals, Silver Beats, The Silver Beetles , then from August 1960 finally becoming The Beatles.

Therefore The Beatles evolved with three key members in place from 1958, then with Ringo Starr joining in August 1962, with the sacking of Pete Best, via a lot of gigs, including those famously in Hamburg.  Like so many groups from those early years it took time to make it, with so many never doing so.  With The Beatles history awaited!

With The Beach Boys not forming until 1962 as a completely new outfit as I understand it, The Beatles had the edge.  Also remember The Beatles had their first Top 40 hit in October 1962, the same month as The Beach Boys had their first hit! :D :D :D ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #33 on: 25 April 2013, 17:14:12 »

Two words...

Pet Sounds :y

cleggy

« Reply #34 on: 25 April 2013, 17:21:15 »

Two words...

Sgt Pepper  :y

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 25 April 2013, 17:24:18 »

Two words...

Sgt Pepper  :y

Nope still not convinced ::) but I do like Meat Loaf, so not really in a position to criticise  ;D

paul.lovejoy

• Omega Baron
  • Ramsgate Kent
    • wife mad 2.6 cd estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 25 April 2013, 17:38:17 »

I love meat loaf......peas and gravey yum yum  :y :y i can dream back to the chicken and salad diet :'( :'(

cleggy

« Reply #37 on: 25 April 2013, 17:47:23 »

Could be worse.......... RAPPERS complete and utter shite, where as Boy Bands are only shite  ;D ;D ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #38 on: 25 April 2013, 18:01:29 »

Could be worse.......... RAPPERS complete and utter shite, where as Boy Bands are only shite  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ain't that the truth ;D

bumblefoot80

• Cumbria
  • 88 mph
    • Omega 2.6 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 26 April 2013, 20:11:09 »

good! :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.