Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lights and rain  (Read 3719 times)

STMO123

Lights and rain
« on: 14 June 2007, 22:54:34 »

I did quite a bit of motorway driving in that horrendous rain we had today. When are people going to realise that poxy little sidelights are next to rather useless in driving rain at 60mph? I saw a guy in a 'P' reg TVR behind me and his lights looked like two torch lights when theres nothing left in the battery, more orange than white.

Ronald_McBurger

Re: Lights and rain
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2007, 22:58:09 »

Yep, couldn't agree more.

If it is raining hard enough for you to need more than intermittent wip in a 30mph are, you must use dipped headlights.

If you need any lights on,. sidelights are not acceptable on a motorway EVER.

Worse is the numptys that use fog lights in the rain. >:(

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
  • I'm On An Economy Drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 June 2007, 23:15:39 »

I can't understand why sidelights are fitted to cars at all. Presumably they may be useful for parking in dark areas but then they should switch to full illumination when in motion. In my opinion, if it's dark enough for sidelights you may as well use dipped headlights. Sidelights appear to be used mainly by the elderly who think that they are saving electricity ;D

I agree that the craziest thing is when people use their fog lights when it rains or when there is a slight mist, in the first instance they are creating more of a hazard by the glare off the spray and in the second they appear to think that by switching on their fog lights they can continue to drive with no consideration of the road conditions.

I reckon that in 24 years of driving I have not used fog lights more than a couple of times.
[size=24]        [/size][/b]

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 June 2007, 23:22:37 »

who think that they are saving electricity Grin

You may well laugh. A mate of mine has a TVR and from what he says about the electrical system it's sometimes a choice between headlights and wipers, fuel pump, etc...  ;D ;D ;D

I don't see the point of fog lights, front or rear. For the amount of use they are in fog against the distraction they cause when visibility is perfectly OK and muppets use them regardless they may as well not be fitted. Either that or something that doesn't dazzle and cannot mask brake lights should be employed instead. Aircraft strobes, for instance.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 June 2007, 23:35:59 »

Hhmm. Aircraft strobes, good idea. Anything other than those bloody high intensity rear fog lights.

iggy21uk

• Omega Knight
  • Berkhamsted - Herts
  • Omega Spotter -  tats gone tanning
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 June 2007, 23:47:32 »

Whot rain !  :o
[size=10]Opelscanner Can owner / Cam lock kit owner [/size] [/i][/b]

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 June 2007, 00:46:13 »

Dim-dip head lights were an attempt to stop people from driving on just side lights. It was a good idea that seems to have gone by the board.  :(

miggy

« Reply #7 on: 15 June 2007, 01:15:36 »

Yep, couldn't agree more.

If it is raining hard enough for you to need more than intermittent wip in a 30mph are, you must use dipped headlights.

If you need any lights on,. sidelights are not acceptable on a motorway EVER.

Worse is the numptys that use fog lights in the rain. >:(

Surely if you are on the motorway, its hammering down with rain and cannot see the car in front because of spray, if he had his rear fogs on you would see him. I have seen many traffic police using rear fogs in the rain on a motorway. BE SEEN.

Its the numptys that drive around during the summers day with front fogs on that naff me off.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 June 2007, 01:48:11 »

Surely if you are on the motorway, its hammering down with rain and cannot see the car in front because of spray, if he had his rear fogs on you would see him. ..... BE SEEN. .....

NO! They are for fog not bloody rain! All they do in rain is dazzle the poor bugger behind you!!  >:(  If it's raining that hard you should have already slowed down. If you were in front of me you'd have my main beam in your mirrors - Yes! I know 2 wrongs etc etc

I have seen many traffic police using rear fogs in the rain on a motorway
It doesn't make it right! I've seen coppers without any lights on at all at night.

As golfbuddy suggests rear fog/intensity lights are a complete waste of boot space. I've had a licence for the last 28 yrs (Christ! Am I that old!?) and about the only time they're switched on is for the MOT. It f***s me off the number of people who see a little mist in a morning and immediately hit the rear fog light switch and only remember to turn them off 4 days later  >:(. If you pull up beside them and tell them they're on, you're met with blank vacant expressions cos they haven't a clue that they're on! I wonder what they think the tell-tale is for?
(A plus point for an Omega is that you can't leave 'em on indefinately)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2007, 03:01:07 »

If you were in front of me you'd have my main beam in your mirrors

I wish all this aggressive / retaliating driving behaviour would stop  :'(

I know we all make mistakes, but If we could all drive in a more accomodating way and not retaliate aggressively to the mistakes of others, the roads would be a nicer (and safer) place all round.

Knowingly shining your main beam at the car directly in front could cause an accident resulting in serious injury or even death.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 03:05:30 by JamesV6CDX »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 June 2007, 03:04:11 »

Also worth bearing in mind is that, actions like this, will quickly help you to become a road rage statistic...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 June 2007, 03:35:33 »

Knowingly shining your main beam at the car directly in front could cause an accident resulting in serious injury or even death.

Mmm! A bit like knowingly/stupidly shining your bright red rear fogs in the rain at the car behind!!
As I said we'd all do far better without the things. The good ol' US of A manages quite well without 'em as does Japan

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 June 2007, 08:36:15 »

Surely if you are on the motorway, its hammering down with rain and cannot see the car in front because of spray, if he had his rear fogs on you would see him. ..... BE SEEN. .....

NO! They are for fog not bloody rain! All they do in rain is dazzle the poor bugger behind you!!  >:(  If it's raining that hard you should have already slowed down. If you were in front of me you'd have my main beam in your mirrors - Yes! I know 2 wrongs etc etc

There not actualy, they are supposed to be used during periods of limited visability.....fog, rain, snow etc....cant remember the distance quoted (which I should)

High intensity rear lights in my opinion are of use (sorry Mr Wood), next time there is limited visability look and see how much easier it is to see high intensity rear lights than normal ones....

Its front fogs I find useless.....even in thick fog.....and on many of the latest car designs and pretty much all 4x4's, they are so high off the ground they can never function as a true fog light whcih needs to be low enough so as to shine under the fog and along the ground!

Golfbuddy

• Omega Baron
  • Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 June 2007, 09:44:50 »

As I'm sure most people know, seeing the car in front is not enough for safe driving.

It is important to be able to see what is going on with the car in front of that and the car in front of that etc etc. People who drive in the rain with their high intensity rear fog lamps on cause so much glare that it is impossible to see past the car with them on, thus impairing the view of those behind and not improving matters.

If it is raining and you feel the need to show these lights perhaps it is time to pull over until driving conditions are safe enough to continue.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2007, 09:50:08 by martin_saint »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 June 2007, 09:49:32 »

As I'm sure most people know, seeing the car in front is not enough for safe driving. It is important to be able to see what is going on with the car in front of that and the car in front of that etc etc. People who drive in the rain with their high intensity rear fog lamps on cause so much glare that it is impossible to see past the car with them on thus impairing the view of those behind and not improving matters. If it is raining and you feel the need to show these lights perhaps it is time to pull over until driving conditions are safe enough to continue.

I agree.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.