Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Omega Replacement conundrum, Part 2  (Read 28250 times)

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
Re: The Omega Replacement conundrum, Part 2
« Reply #135 on: 05 October 2016, 05:28:46 »

You can't paint diesel with a brush like that, try driving a recent shape Jag XJ V6 Diesel.

Very happy with my Derv  :y

Over 600 on current tank of juice, range says over 100 left,  suits my driving style of low down torque. Mid range it's not bad, no slouch. Motorway at 70 in 6th just 1,200 rpm. So great cruiser :)

Father Ts XF diesel is very nice too.

What is a POS, is the 3.2 engine.  :P

It's not that fast, it's terrible on fuel, DBW V6 idle is rubbish. 3.0 V6 was always far better engine, least that was economical given its power. 3.2 is so much worse, but for what? No gains.

Oh I can ..

Dirty - requires a bloody great DPF to trap the contamination .. which then burns itself clean so releasing all the contamination on to the poor unsuspecting public, and only if you drive it in a very certain way, otherwise it doesn't work and the system fails .. at great expense

Smelly - No explanation needed .. fuel oil stinks

Polluting - not withstanding the DPF matter .. the NOx levels are so high that the modern engine has to have piss added to it to make it legal ....and if you run out of piss it won't start !!

and even then VW had to lie, lie, and lie again to pass the emissions tests .. so millions of vehicles just like yours are pumping out pollution ...had your recall yet ??  :)

and you say fuel oil is good ????

:)

So you don't like diesel then Nige  ::) ;D ;D ;D :P

tigers_gonads

• Omega Lord
  • Kinston Upon Hull
  • Driving a Honda CR-V which doesn't smell of pee
    • Honda CR-V
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 05 October 2016, 05:30:02 »

It's a bit unfair to compare the Omega with anything other than what was available at the same time as the Omega....

^^^^ This^^^^

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 05 October 2016, 08:34:10 »

You can't paint diesel with a brush like that, try driving a recent shape Jag XJ V6 Diesel.

Very happy with my Derv  :y

Over 600 on current tank of juice, range says over 100 left,  suits my driving style of low down torque. Mid range it's not bad, no slouch. Motorway at 70 in 6th just 1,200 rpm. So great cruiser :)

Father Ts XF diesel is very nice too.

What is a POS, is the 3.2 engine.  :P

It's not that fast, it's terrible on fuel, DBW V6 idle is rubbish. 3.0 V6 was always far better engine, least that was economical given its power. 3.2 is so much worse, but for what? No gains.

Oh I can ..

Dirty - requires a bloody great DPF to trap the contamination .. which then burns itself clean so releasing all the contamination on to the poor unsuspecting public, and only if you drive it in a very certain way, otherwise it doesn't work and the system fails .. at great expense

Smelly - No explanation needed .. fuel oil stinks

Polluting - not withstanding the DPF matter .. the NOx levels are so high that the modern engine has to have piss added to it to make it legal ....and if you run out of piss it won't start !!

and even then VW had to lie, lie, and lie again to pass the emissions tests .. so millions of vehicles just like yours are pumping out pollution ...had your recall yet ??  :)

and you say fuel oil is good ????

:)

It's good for the larger range and great low down torque.

I'm personally not too fussed with what comes out tail pipe, if it's 100 or 500 nanobobbins.

The smell? Well you get a different Oder when filling up that's for sure, but it's around a minute or two of another smell. I find petrol stinks as well, so much of the same?

I've been in some 6pot diesels that really, really shift and you can hardly tell. Friend has 335d, it's a rocket!!  So personally, yes I think it's good.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 05 October 2016, 08:50:01 »

Should also add that normal (non turbo) large petrol at the moment is bowing out, simply looking at Autotrader look at BMW/Merc/Audi/Ford/Vauxhall etc, vast majority are diesel.

Is the huge proportion market/population wrong?  :-\

So far I've done over 1,000 miles in my diesel and I have to say I like it very much. FatherT has a XF diesel and MotherT has E Class Estate also diesel, all very happy with them.

Now that I have a wife and daughter to support a £500/yr VED bill for a petrol car, then consider LPG on top is not doable, but a 2.0 diesel with £30/yr VED and averaging 55mpg on my way to work does!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 05 October 2016, 14:16:29 »

It's a bit unfair to compare the Omega with anything other than what was available at the same time as the Omega....

^^^^ This^^^^
Below is a list of cars that the Omega would have competed with in the market place:

Dynamically,  the E39 5 series is better, albeit a smidge smaller.

The Audi A6 is basically shit, as is the near identical Superb.

Merc W210 dissovles faster than you can drive it and Merc cost cutting of the time makes GM look extravagant :D
The W211 is better, partly by virtue of being newer, and partly by being better made.

Jag S type a bit left field, but again prone to interesting build quality.

Lexus GS300. Fundamentally fine, but rather beige.
Toyota Camry. As above and wwd.
Honda Leg End. Ditto.

Renault Safrane. It's French and they sold 10 of them.
Peugeot 607. As above.

Ford Mundeo Ghia X. And you thought GM wood trim was crap... Not much going for it.

Sharamblaxy. Has more seats.
Espace. As above.
Peugeot 806/7, C8/Fiat thing... As above but worse.

Vectra C. Estate is a close contender, especially in Elite form, but wwd.

Volvo 850/S80/V70. wwd and more expensive, but good middle class alternative.

Saab 95. wwd and smaller.

Probably missed a few alternatives though...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 05 October 2016, 14:25:32 »

Should also add that normal (non turbo) large petrol at the moment is bowing out, simply looking at Autotrader look at BMW/Merc/Audi/Ford/Vauxhall etc, vast majority are diesel.

Is the huge proportion market/population wrong?  :-\

So far I've done over 1,000 miles in my diesel and I have to say I like it very much. FatherT has a XF diesel and MotherT has E Class Estate also diesel, all very happy with them.

Now that I have a wife and daughter to support a £500/yr VED bill for a petrol car, then consider LPG on top is not doable, but a 2.0 diesel with £30/yr VED and averaging 55mpg on my way to work does!
The consumer buys what the industry tells it :-X

We need petrol powered minibuses at work due to the irreversible damage/unsuitability of modern diesels in an high idle/low mileage environment. No one makes or sells them except Chevrolet/Ford USA, ergo effectively you cannot buy them here. And given that it's a market of about 300 vehicles every five years, it simply won't happen.

Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 05 October 2016, 14:36:39 »

That covers the 90s-early 2000s vehicle choice rather well, actually! Makes me realise why they sold so many Omegas.  :)

Also, the industry dictating is bob-on. At the same time there's the magic fairies who in-tun dictate to the Industry what emissions / safety / green targets they must meet. Which, in turn cock things up down the line.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 05 October 2016, 16:00:02 »

Personally I don`t like diesels, the low torque and turbo rush to 3k wears off after a while and the engines are devoid of character.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 05 October 2016, 17:50:10 »

I like my 530d and it flies when needs be, but I do admit that the lack of instant power can be irritating.  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Grumpy old man

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 05 October 2016, 18:00:17 »

Following an earlier conversation...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608026419040?model=STS&postcode=rh37ef&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=CADILLAC&sort=sponsored&page=1

Job jobbed 8)

Next...
Yank tanks are out.

I quite like that tbh, Looks could be better but there's something about it. Price wise too rich for me 2-3k mark would be more appealing. But then again maybe these hold their value pretty well...

Had a quick look could only find 2 for sale so that's an issue. You'll have a rare car that's for sure whetheror not that's a good thing or not.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 05 October 2016, 18:02:27 »

Merc E350 CDI/CLS. (Driven these, CLS was very smooth)
God awful drive in every way. Unbelievably ugly in CLS form

Merc S320 CDI
Another hopeless attempt by MB, resulting in another god awful drive.  There is a perfectly good reason Merc were off the list. And they will stay off until such time they can design a car, rather than simply build one.

BMW 535d
BMW 730d
Both decent cars, with class leading engines, albeit suspect reliability with age. 7 series too big.  But there is only 1 badge to have on a beemer, and they ain't available in diesel.  Anything else isn't worth putting up with the image.

Audi A8 4.0 TD
Nope. VAG can't do lorry fuel cars. Plus you have to be a knob to own an Audi.

Porker Turbo (911's)
Impractical

Jag XF's 3.0d
Not ruled out at a later date, but the seats aren't great in the base Luxury model.

Jag XJ 2.7d
Nope. Never. Too slow.

Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 05 October 2016, 18:03:16 »

Following an earlier conversation...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201608026419040?model=STS&postcode=rh37ef&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&make=CADILLAC&sort=sponsored&page=1

Job jobbed 8)

Next...
Yank tanks are out.

I quite like that tbh, Looks could be better but there's something about it. Price wise too rich for me 2-3k mark would be more appealing. But then again maybe these hold their value pretty well...

Had a quick look could only find 2 for sale so that's an issue. You'll have a rare car that's for sure whetheror not that's a good thing or not.
Trouble is, I don't sell drugs ;D
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 05 October 2016, 19:59:56 »

It would be a much shorter conversation if we had a list of what is "in" rather than the list of what is "out".  :D ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 05 October 2016, 20:32:10 »

At least the steering wheel is on the correct side. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.