Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: LPG kit prices  (Read 20612 times)

aaronjb

Re: LPG kit prices
« Reply #165 on: 28 January 2011, 13:40:02 »

Internal valve and external brackets aside, any reason why that would not work in upright form?

Ah now I remember - I was googling for vertical full toroidals (no idea why, when I want a horizontal one  ;D) and I couldn't find any..

But at the same time I couldn't work out why the LPG would really care which way 'up' it was, given the vertical & horizontal standard toroidals seem to be identical?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 28 January 2011, 13:59:23 »

Nope, no such thing in upright form. And bloke was in a strop for some reason. Maybe I'll try later when he's in a better mood  :-/

Found that with them in the past too... Normally very good service from them I must admit, but occasionally :-X :-X
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 28 January 2011, 14:00:04 »

Internal valve and external brackets aside, any reason why that would not work in upright form?

Ah now I remember - I was googling for vertical full toroidals (no idea why, when I want a horizontal one  ;D) and I couldn't find any..

But at the same time I couldn't work out why the LPG would really care which way 'up' it was, given the vertical & horizontal standard toroidals seem to be identical?

It's to do with the valves and pickup pipe ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 28 January 2011, 14:04:11 »

It can only be the valves that differ significantly. The supply obviously needs a pickup from the lowest point in the tank, but that's just a bent bit of pipe with a finger filter on the end. The level gauge float assembly needs work, but that's a bent bit of coat hanger with a float on the end. Relief valve needs to draw vapour from above the 80% liquid level but that's a bent bit of rubber hose.

Mounting of the tank is different, of course. Maybe there's a structural difference in the construction due to that? Doubt it, though. :-/

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #169 on: 28 January 2011, 14:13:36 »

Both good points .. I'll go back to my zero-gravity corner now where pickup pipes can be anywhere  ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #170 on: 28 January 2011, 15:15:35 »

If it wasn't for the external brackets I'd look into fiddling the internal gubbins to make the valve work at a different angle.

But as the brackets would have to be removed to fit the wheel well I can't see it passing inspection in modified form.

From memory the next vertical size up gave another 7 litres capacity from 48 to 55, which I was sqeezing in anyway on occasion.  :-X so wonder if it's worth the bother and just fit a cylinder..... Aaaw but I want my boot space  :'(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 28 January 2011, 15:24:05 »

If it wasn't for the external brackets I'd look into fiddling the internal gubbins to make the valve work at a different angle.

But as the brackets would have to be removed to fit the wheel well I can't see it passing inspection in modified form.

From memory the next vertical size up gave another 7 litres capacity from 48 to 55, which I was sqeezing in anyway on occasion.  :-X so wonder if it's worth the bother and just fit a cylinder..... Aaaw but I want my boot space  :'(

But how often do you really need to use it all? :-? :-?

aaronjb

« Reply #172 on: 28 January 2011, 15:25:38 »

What size is the spare on the saloon? I'm assuming it's full-size like the Estate? Ok, I'm assuming the Estate is full size since I haven't really paid attention when I've opened the cover!

If so.. you should at least be able to get a 630x250 tank in there? 54L in toroidal form or 66L in four-hole full toroidal form..

Probably easier to fit a thicker tank in the saloon, too, given you're not trying to sit it 'in' a wheel well?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 28 January 2011, 15:34:16 »

What size is the spare on the saloon? I'm assuming it's full-size like the Estate? Ok, I'm assuming the Estate is full size since I haven't really paid attention when I've opened the cover!

If so.. you should at least be able to get a 630x250 tank in there? 54L in toroidal form or 66L in four-hole full toroidal form..

Probably easier to fit a thicker tank in the saloon, too, given you're not trying to sit it 'in' a wheel well?

On the contrary... Easier to fit a thicker tank in the estate as you have space to raise the floor... In a saloon it has to angle and drop into the spare well which, TBH, is less than ideal ;)

Oh... And IIRCC I worked out you could fit a 650x220(200?) with no modifications (other than removing the centre upright in the wheel well is there is one) and then, obviously, thicker if you wish, raising the floor to compensate. :y

I looked at many options, including cutting out the bottom of the wheel well to make more room, although this seemed too much work for the sake of an extra 15mm or so :-/

feeutfo

« Reply #174 on: 28 January 2011, 15:39:53 »

Not as often as I thought tbh, but often enough, we go away a fair bit, and two bikes in the boot is just about doable, I hate racks. Through space for step ladders and diy stuff is major plus for the car IMO.

Buy as you rightly say filling up more often is a pita week to week.

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 28 January 2011, 15:43:23 »

Not as often as I thought tbh, but often enough, we go away a fair bit, and two bikes in the boot is just about doable, I hate racks. Through space for step ladders and diy stuff is major plus for the car IMO.

Either roof bars or a tow bar mounted rack I reckon ::) ::)

Or... And just thinking aloud here... If you took the wheels off would the bikes fit in the back? Not ideal I know but a solution none the less

feeutfo

« Reply #176 on: 28 January 2011, 15:49:27 »

Spare is 185 wide iirc, but my previous upright was 60 litre, and it was touch and go on width, might have gone 10mill wider in the void, but as LD says on the saloon the tank has to be laid on the boot floor on it's side, slid to the left, then tipped up into the wheel well without hitting the roof of the wing before it drops down and in. It may take taller/bigger diameter too, but the for and aft measurement becomes critical then once in place as the rear of the well is vertical where the light cluster fits etc...

Really need to arrange a fitting session with Tinley and see what will physically go in, shame he's in a grump.

feeutfo

« Reply #177 on: 28 January 2011, 15:52:03 »

Either roof bars or a tow bar mounted rack I reckon ::) ::)

Or... And just thinking aloud here... If you took the wheels off would the bikes fit in the back? Not ideal I know but a solution none the less
Not with a  cylinder. Two bikes with font wheels removed will just fit with seats down.

Plus there is no way I'm leaving 2k worth of mountain bikes on the outside of the car.
« Last Edit: 28 January 2011, 15:53:23 by chrisgixer »

aaronjb

« Reply #178 on: 28 January 2011, 15:55:18 »

but as LD says on the saloon the tank has to be laid on the boot floor on it's side, slid to the left, then tipped up into the wheel well without hitting the roof of the wing before it drops down and in.

Ahh yes.. I'd forgotten that (I mean, I've only seen photographs :)) - makes sense, then, and makes you just as constricted (or, as LD says, more so as to do the equivalent of raising the floor would require fabricating a deeper wheel well - assuming there's nothing underfloor to obstruct it)

aaronjb

« Reply #179 on: 28 January 2011, 15:56:05 »

Plus there is no way I'm leaving 2k worth of mountain bikes on the outside of the car.

Buy cheaper bikes? I've got a rusty old Raleigh you can have for a tenner!  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 21 queries.