Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 38   Go Down

Author Topic: Scimitar MV6  (Read 77269 times)

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • 2.2 & 2.5 Ginetta build
    • View Profile
Re: Scimitar MV6
« Reply #180 on: 21 September 2012, 13:17:51 »

looking good, what do all the other additional switches do ?

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: 23 September 2012, 08:17:31 »

Starting from the top,

Although the ECU is controlling the engine fan I wanted to put an override in so the top switch is the override and the green light will light up whenever the fan is on (ECU or switch).

The next two down are for the fuel pumps, so they can be turned off periodically when running on LPG.

The push button on the bottom row silences a buzzer while you start the engine, the buzzer is very loud so I wanted the option of being able to shut it up.  The buzzer sounds if the water level or oil level is low, and if the oil pressure is low (hence the need to shut it up with when cranking).

The switch in the middle of the bottom row is the map switch for the ECU, I'll have a map for petrol running and map for LPG running.  I had previously wired it in with a relay so it would automatically switch maps when the LPG solenoids switched to gas, but they flicker for a while sometimes (presumably some kind of leak check?) and I thought the ECU might not like switching maps over and over really fast, hence the switch. 

And as you can see the last one is the LPG switch.

Not sure yet how to go about labelling

A micro update...

I did some of the most shocking work yesterday, I fancied fitting a little switch next to the AFR gauge as it is bright blue and I think it might be nice to be able to turn it off at night.  I drilled a little hole and tried to turn it into a slot with the drill bit, that went wrong and its a really messy hole, then I glued a tiny switch in, that went wrong it turns out its on an angle (and did I mention it looks pants), then went to try to switch and the glue had got in :( not pleased.  Anyway i've freed it up now and I think I'll stick with it as its so tiny its not a massive eye-saw.
Here's that mess

Also some of the LED bulbs arrived, you can see one on the far right next to the old bulbs, this will hopefully mean I don't have to remove the dash every month to change bulbs. 

I was on it all Saturday morning and afternoon, but most of that time was absorbed sorting the last few wiring gremlins, the radio now turns on with ACC rather than IGN and retains its memory.  And I've wired in another buzzer to sound if the lights are left on, it needs the doors open, the IGN off and lights on before it gets noisy.  Thinking about it I'll do one last thing and change it so it won't sound if its on ACC rather than IGN. 

The last LED bulbs should arrive soon and dash will FINALLY BE FINSHED, what a marathon its been. 

More to come

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: 23 September 2012, 12:53:40 »

Thats quite a few switches to remember ! i think they would look good if you could label them in some fashion. not sute how though

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: 23 September 2012, 15:36:04 »

Agreed, i thought about just writting it on in black marker, another option is to print a shhet with labels in the right place, laminate it and cut out the holes and use the switches to hold the sheet back. I'm prefering the idea of getting the gf to write them on, she's got good hand writting :)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: 28 September 2012, 07:18:05 »

And it's done :) the dash is together :) :) :) (fingers crossed it stays that way).  I've tested everything and it all seems to do what it should so far. 

I'm not sure if you can see in the photo but I changed the little switch by the ARF gauge for a mini toggle switch to neaten it up a bit.  And I decided to just write what the switches do above them, in my best handwriting. 

Hopefully picking up some stainless sheet this weekend from the best scrap yard in the country to finish the front of the engine bay. 

More to come

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: 30 September 2012, 10:08:21 »

Made a bearing press yesterday, all for about £40, well perhaps a little more if you include discs and welding wire. Hopefully we'll be rebuilding his axle today. I got some stainless steel from the scrap yard to remake the radiator cover and some pipe to take the engines air feed through the cover to cold air.

More to come

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: 30 September 2012, 12:25:24 »

very useful that, bearings can be a right pain on the diy front. getting them out can be a pig, i usually grind them out with the die grinder. Pressing is much better

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: 07 October 2012, 14:53:21 »

Got a cheaky couple of hours in this week (getting less and less time on it now :( )

Finally made a decision about the roll hoop, I'm going to make some strong short pillars and take the car to a local cage maker to make the hoop and possibly the down bars too.  Here are a couple of photos so you get the idea what I'm up too. 

I've also got some more metal for making the brake brackets for the rear axle, then that can go back on.  This is so time consuming though, and I can't get the lathe fast enough for the small diameters when the hole is small (when going from the biggest drill bit to the boring tool), so I'm blunting the bits.  I need to get a hole saw I think. 

More to come.

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: 08 October 2012, 10:11:18 »

Whats the roll bar going to sit on ? is there a chassis member underneath that box section ?

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: 08 October 2012, 19:48:56 »

Yeah there is a pretty study bit of chassis under there, it can be bolted down to the seat belt mount, but more importantly can bolted lower down (out of shot) kind of in the back end of the sill, there are two large holes where the existing roll hoop mounts, I made sure to make them very sturdy.  Its hard to explain, but it will all become clear when I get round to doing the work :)

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: 10 October 2012, 21:33:27 »

Had a couple of hours with the car this evening, and I didn't feel in the swing of things really, I was in a "there is so much still to do" frame of mind :(

But I think I made a half decent bit of progress anyway. 

I've giving up boring out the brake caliper mounts 5 thou at a time and taken to work where they did all four in a pretty short time.  All are the same 79.8mm diameter to slide up agains the back of the end of the axle tubes.  Here are a few pics.  There are 4 because I'm doing a set for my good friend (Supra powered Capri). 

Got this Idea from a thread I saw on Scimitarweb somewhere

Petes will need to be upright due to the arrangement on his capri

and mine will need to be sticking out the front (making bleeding a pain in the arse)

And thats about as far as I got tonight, all the holes that locate on the axle are done, I gave up at the tricky part of marking up where the caliper holes go. 

More to come
« Last Edit: 10 October 2012, 21:38:03 by lozzzzzz »

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: 16 October 2012, 21:08:56 »

Got a little done tonight, I'm not getting the big chunks of time it needs at the mo, its slow but steady progress (too slow). 

Measured three times and cut once, well drilled once actually

Used this one as a template to drill the next, then took the holes out to 10mm (and 12.55mm to take acount of an inaccuracy in the drilling :) )

But it all seems superb now :) I'm really pleased with the 1mm ish clearance at the edge of the disc.

Then I trimmed it down a bit and ran out of cutting discs, so its on hold for a little while.

More to come at some point

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: 16 October 2012, 21:35:27 »

getting there, nice to see the updates keep coming. well done so far.  :y

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

lozzzzzz

• Intermediate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: 17 October 2012, 07:21:19 »

Thanks Red Baron,

markrnorton

• Intermediate Member
  • Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: 17 October 2012, 09:07:05 »

Looking tidy. What calipers are you using on the rear ?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 38   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.